UT Live, what are the chances that it will ever happen?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bleuchamp

Jun 12, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
I've never liked the Quake series very much, but when Quake Live is relesed I'll give it just another chance just because I think the concept seems so brilliant to me.

How cool wouldn't it be if Epic could bring "UT Live" to the masses? :D

I have no idea how much work a project like this would take, nor how profitable the commercial would be that they could mediate through it once it's finished.
What I know is that I'd love to see it happen.

So all of you speculaters out there, what are the chances that we'll ever see a "UT Live"? :D

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Almost none, realistically, but we will see. I know that the people who already have UT wouldn't bother with it since UT needs no CD-Key to play (unlike Q3) but it'd be interesting to see an ad-supported version of UT that can interconnect with the "official" game clients, too.

Honestly, though, I'm still hoping someday we'll see a source release. Then people could take the greatness of the original UT and truly take it to the next level.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Yeh, chances that UT will go live are practically nonexistent -_- UT won't go opensource for quite a while too for sure. Seems like epic are reworking their engine instead of doing it for a scratch with a new game so they will keep it secret for sure. they have really good mod support for UT though that compensates for that... kinda.

And tbh I'm a bit skeptical about quake live idea. Playing FPS in a browser window just doesn't feel right %) I know I will try it out for sure. I'ts just that I don't have high expectations...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think Quake Live will end up being played "through the browser". I'm guessing that all of the tools to start a game, join a match, competition etc will be on a localized web page. But the game itself will most certainly have to reside on your own computer. I can't see it working any other way.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Hm... "launched via a web browser" from wiki page may be interpreted this way as well I guess =) And it sounds really way more reasonable =)
Well, beta testing is supposed to start soon enough (if it hadn't already) so I guess we will know about it pretty soon =)