Alcazar Skyline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Yep it's me again...

Alcazar... "teh map with teh brokn bridg in teh sky" Without a doubt this map is most famous for the cloud platform. So, when it comes time to split this map, it's a no brainer which part to keep. But how to make it all work? There already is HoC-TOP, which turned into a frag-fest, no offense to its author and, fans?

First decision was to keep the base. You may have owned the cloud, but there's still a base the other team can defend against you. Secondly the lower entrance is still accessible. There I added the same base platform from upper level, except the ramp is replaced with a half-circle floor with the ammo station (from cloud platform).

Finally the lower deploy point was deemed pretty useless so I turned it into the necessary base Generator. There are possible issues with hiding under the lower platform, but honestly I got tired and just hope it doesn't break the gameplay. Afterall this is all about the cloud platform - if you don't use it, you WILL lose it.

It's a hefty 8mb, but it's worth it ;) Oh one last thing... why Skyline? I honestly don't know. It sounds cool, and goes with my last map, so here it is - Alcazar Skyline!

http://members.shaw.ca/takwu/XMP/XMP-AlcazarSkyline.zip

Pinkey

dead
Aug 7, 2004
I dont know. :(
What was that Garden remake with the node in the middle of the map with the 4 purple artifacts? I think that would have been pretty cool for this type of map. You have to capture all four purple artifacts to win, etc.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
I believe that was XMP-cXp-CrystalGarden or XMP-cXp-CrystalGarden2. I forget what the difference was between the two.

nb_steel

Kill Xmp I Kill ¥ØÚ!!!
Aug 23, 2005
might result in an interesting sniper battle if two snipers were hiding under there on opposite ends of the map.

nb_steel

Kill Xmp I Kill ¥ØÚ!!!
Aug 23, 2005
Also, takwu i just wanted to let you know how much i appreciate you trying to help xmp.
I think you are genius for making huge maps available to play for the small community.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Well the under platform hidding place is really quite useless. The idea is that if you hide, your team has a much harder time with the battle on cloud platform with one less teamate. And you can't shoot anyone from there anyway except another person under the other platform. And if you have arti, you will appear on radar soon enough.

BTW, like Frontline, I have not reimaged the radar background for this map either. It's a lot of work, and it won't be much different anyway.

Yes the "4 purple arti" was CrystalGarden2, by yours truely (hint: avatar <- ;)) CrystalGarden started with 2 purple arti, and one arti on each base, while the 2nd map had 4 purple arti and none at bases. Also CrystalGarden2 changed Stronghold Gen into a Deploy Point - with only 3 gens, one team tends to reg their first artis sooner than the other.

It's possible to convert Alcazar for Crystal gametype (the purple arti). But this gametype was intended to make battles last longer when there are a lot of players. Not sure how it works with less people.

Thanks for the complements crisis. I do wish we will have more fun with these maps when we only have 2 or 3 ppl on each team.

If anyone wants, feel free to make some screenies, highlighting the changes. I might make some later too :)

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
screenshots

:crazydance:

Attachments

• Shot00000.JPG
    Shot00000.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Shot00001.JPG
    Shot00001.JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Shot00002.JPG
    Shot00002.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 14

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Hey how did you get the Raptor down there without it blowing up? There is a KillZ (if you fall below certain altitude you die). So I suppose it does not kill cars?? Can you actually drive in the car, or would you die if you *get in the vehicle*? If you can get in, can you get out without dying?

At the time I didn't think of a good way to handle the issue, so I just left the map as is. The bottom of the space is just a little bit below the KillZ. If I raised the KillZ, you could be walking near the bottom of that rock and suddenly die because you walked below KillZ. Another way is to extend the bottom of the space, so you would be well below the KillZ, even standing on a car at the bottom.

I was thinking of a way to make it act more logical. The stock maps didn't use this feature, but later I found some other maps use a pressure volume. If you enter that volume you get "pressurized". Now I would also need to borrow a cloudy texture to mark the border of this pressure volume, so people know what caused their death.

The volume part is no problem, I can easily add one. But I couldn't find a suitable cloudy texture in the stock resources; which means I would need to embed it in the map.

In the end I thought this was not a huge issue. But if you can actually drive on the bottom, and travel between bases, it's a nasty exploit, albeit being a bit hard to pull off (getting Raptor down there without blow up).

So to summarize:
- can you drive around, get in, get out, without dying?
- should i lower bottom or add pressure volume, or both?
- if pressure volume, what texture should I use?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Wait a min... Volumes are invisible anyway? I mean, you can make it visible by adding a textured nonsolid cube around it, but it usually is invisible? Like, UT2003's CTF-DE-LavaGiant2. You enter the area and get killed. Usually the zones are accompanied by FluidSurfaces, like you fall down and fall into lava. Or slime. Or nitrogen. Of course, in this case Unreal's CloudZone would be the best: you fall down through clouds, your screen whitens out, your health is lowered to 1, you hear your scream and you die.
http://unreal.student.utwente.nl/uncodex-u1/Source_unreali/cloudzone.html
Interesting that you still have zones in U2XMP...
And uhh, that screenshot of yours, Bleder, looks really undetailed... Are you using low graphics settings or it is the most that you can get out of U2XMP?

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Yes, they are invisible, and I want to make it visible with a textured plane on top of the volume. Just I need a suitable texture.

Volumes are not the same as zones. They are brushes, and are much easier to work with than zones and portals.
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Working_With_Volumes

And yeah that screenshot seems to be on low texture details. Things look much better in high details.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
...that screenshot of yours, Bleder, looks really undetailed... Are you using low graphics settings or it is the most that you can get out of U2XMP?...
I was frapsing on an old Pentium III laptop, sorry.

- can you drive around, get in, get out, without dying?
Yes, you can drive all around that invisible 'floor'. If you get out and touch the ground, then you die. So you have to be smart and get out near some ground (like the under-bridge troll area :lol:) that you can jump/dodge onto. Or, why even bother to get out :D Just take the arti and drive ;)

As for how to get the raptor there.. The easy way is to let the raptor fall backward off the top deploy, then use the infinite vehicle boost exploit to keep it from falling too fast. Otherwise you could also do the poor-man's method and boost off the top toward the cliff wall (for some reason blue cliff wall is easier), then if you're lucky the raptor will roll down the cliff face to the floor with a few health left.

Mar 6, 2004
You need low ping to do the infinite vehicle boost. I play around with that in maps sometimes, although my pings too high to do it all the time....one hell of a fast jugger!:D if i was fast enough i could make the raptor go boost nonstop every second..my god that would be fast. Cap an arti in 5 seconds.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Ok guys, it sounds like a lot of HAX in order to exploit this... But still it is a possible problem with someone hiding an arti and both raptors under the base, in which case it will be rather difficult to get to the perpetrator (still possible tho...).

So the remaining question is, find me a suitable cloud or fog texture, preferrably stock, and I'll use that pressure volume to kill anyone and (hopefully) any vehicle that goes down there.

BTW I looked everywhere and never figured out how they made the clouds just under the cloud platforms in the middle. I don't see any brushes or sheets or actors (fuildsurface, particlesalamanders...) that could make that effect. If anyone can tell me please do. It seems like a suitable effect for the pressure volume.