Random map picking rejected maps > crash

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PushPull99

Jun 24, 2008
Hi,

using UTvote 5.7 on a server shared with a couple of other CTF-servers. All servers are sharing the same map-folder, which probably has 200 maps in total. 98 % of these are rejected on this particular server:

I've noticed that if no one votes before timeout, and UT2Vote picks a random map, it tries to load from ALL maps - including the rejected ones. The result is that the rejected map appears to be loading, until the background picture with map-name shows up. Then it's re-loading the map we were previously on while UT2Vote was waiting for votes. We also appear to have ghosts of our nicks when we re-enter the map. Then it hangs from 30-60 sec, until the server reloads a random map - but this time picking from the visible maps.

Known bug ? Any more info I can provide ?

Having that said, GREAT work ProAsm. Props for all the cool stuff you've made!

-Paul

tdw-socke

Nov 21, 2003
uh, something new ;)

the bug-sympthoms are well known, but the way to get that behaviour is new i guess.

are you shure, this only happens on that one server? are the other servers running ut2vote too?

is it shure, that it only happens with rejected maps, or might it be randomly with all maps?

PushPull99

Jun 24, 2008
uh, something new ;)

the bug-sympthoms are well known, but the way to get that behaviour is new i guess.

are you shure, this only happens on that one server? are the other servers running ut2vote too?

is it shure, that it only happens with rejected maps, or might it be randomly with all maps?

Hi, and thanks for replying!

Due to how the servers sharing the map-folders are set up I've only seen it happen on this one server. However, it might happpend on another server too. Let me explain:
Server1 - iCTF: Running without UT2Vote, using a single map
Server2 - normal CTF: Running with UT2Vote, but has only the 10 iCTF maps rejected
Server3 - iCTF: Running with UT2Vote, but has all the normal CTF maps rejected

Most of the maps in the folder is rejected on server3, while only a small % of the maps are rejected on server2. Thereby chances are way higher I can see the bug happend on Server3.

When I set it up I did this to save space, thinking I was going to run more maps on several servers.. but knowing this is a bug I guess I will redo the setup, and add individual map-folders for each server.

PS: Regarding the ghosts appearing / old map re-loading: The exact same behaviour happens using UT2Vote and voting on maps missing Textures etc. I saw this after batch-adding all my CTF-maps. So I will need to check the serverlogs when I get back from work to be 100 % certain that the random map which loaded actually is okay.. they all should be though. I manually checked all of them on my MultiMaps CTF-server. But UT2Vote can't filter out the rejected maps while loading random maps..that's at least for sure

Last edited:

tdw-socke

Nov 21, 2003
that wired behaviour happens or happens not. It seems to be dependant on the server-performance and on the connection-speed to the clients.

we had it sorted out by raising the map-load-timer, but had to get back to the old setting, as that brought new problems. At least that's what i remember :)

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Yes with multiservers this brought all sorts of problems but various admins sorted it out in various ways.
I take it you are using the UT2Vote57.UT2VoteMulti instead of the UT2Vote57.UT2VoteX as the latter is for single servers only.
Regarding the map folders, you can have as many map folders as you like, all you do on the server is change the paths in the UT2004.ini file for that server.
For instance Server1 which will use all the original folders stays as is.
Server2 you create a second Maps folder, call it Maps2 and put whatever maps you want in there.
Now in that servers UT2004.ini file you change the paths as follows:

[Core.System]
Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
replace that with
Paths=../Maps2/*.ut2

As you can figure you can do this with all folders.
With server3 do that same but for Maps3

If you prefer to use several single servers using UT2Vote57.UT2VoteX instead of UT2Vote57.UT2VoteMulti you can create several System folders.
Like for the Server2 create a folder called System2 and copy all the files from the System folder into the System2 folder.
Now in the System2 folder, open the UT2004.ini file and change all the paths with the word system to system2 and of course the maps folder and also the Port= and the ListenPort= if you use WebAdmin.
This is a prefered way of doing things as it makes each server a complete standalone dedicated server rather than sharing and is much more beneficial for players regarding lag etc.

PushPull99

Jun 24, 2008
Yes with multiservers this brought all sorts of problems but various admins sorted it out in various ways.
I take it you are using the UT2Vote57.UT2VoteMulti instead of the UT2Vote57.UT2VoteX as the latter is for single servers only.
Regarding the map folders, you can have as many map folders as you like, all you do on the server is change the paths in the UT2004.ini file for that server.
For instance Server1 which will use all the original folders stays as is.
Server2 you create a second Maps folder, call it Maps2 and put whatever maps you want in there.
Now in that servers UT2004.ini file you change the paths as follows:

[Core.System]
Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
replace that with
Paths=../Maps2/*.ut2

As you can figure you can do this with all folders.
With server3 do that same but for Maps3

If you prefer to use several single servers using UT2Vote57.UT2VoteX instead of UT2Vote57.UT2VoteMulti you can create several System folders.
Like for the Server2 create a folder called System2 and copy all the files from the System folder into the System2 folder.
Now in the System2 folder, open the UT2004.ini file and change all the paths with the word system to system2 and of course the maps folder and also the Port= and the ListenPort= if you use WebAdmin.
This is a prefered way of doing things as it makes each server a complete standalone dedicated server rather than sharing and is much more beneficial for players regarding lag etc.

Hi,
I've sorted running several servers on the same boxes by running each servers on its own user (make it easier to sort out processes etc). Each server has a complete set of individual serverfiles, except the maps which I placed on a shared folder. With this setup I'm using UT2VoteX. This should be fine, right ?

So I have two servers with probably 200 maps, running all maps. The InstaGib server is running 10-15 maps, so its probably easier to copy these maps locally, change the path in ut2004.ini, and enable all maps in UT2Vote.

Again, I'm very impressed with this stuff. Thanks again for the contributions! The players love it as well.

PS: Sort of off topic, but do you guys have any brief input on Tickrate settings ? Servers are running on 2x1Gbit connection, so I have more bandwidth than most servers. 2 of the boxes have 2x3ghz cpu / 6gb ram, last box has 4x3ghz cpu / 8 gb ram. Running raid-1 10.000 rpm scsi disks.. so I should be well covered on HW too. Only running ut2004 servers on the boxes (nothing commercial).

Thanks,
P

Last edited:

PushPull99

Jun 24, 2008
try 50 and see, how it works.

Really? Thought I was running a high Tickrate putting it on 40. Unless anyone objects I'll try raising all servers to 50 then.

Might aswell ask you about the clientrate real quick, and I'll leave it at that. Currently running
MaxClientRate=20000
MaxInternetClientRate=15000

From what I understand a too high clientrate can actually cause more lag. Servers are all non-commercial, which is also why I'm not too familiar with all the settings in this environment. Anyway, load will probably be less than i.e. GSPs renting out servers.

Thanks again, take care.
-P

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Tickrate often makes a big difference and is often game dependent.
UT2Vote57 has a built in Tickrate function and can be set differently for each game.
In the GameType= string just add ?Tickrate=50 or whatever you need for each game, and it will setup your server accordingly.
Just a note, it wont do this for the first level at server startup, but on every level changeover from there onwards.
NB: This setting will override the Tickrate settings in the UT2004.ini file.

The MaxClientRate= won't allow a client to go higher than this value.
The MaxInternetClientRate= is the clients connection rate for what your server can handle and is dependant on your hardware, line capacity, server power and memory etc.
15000 is maybe a bit high as thats the figure used for a LAN connection.

A good rule of thumb for internet connection is as follows:
56K Modems - 2500
ISDN Modems - 4500
ADSL - 7500
1m to 10m (T1) - 10000

If the figure is too low players will experience lag and if its too high they will experience disconnections at level changeover.

Last edited:

tdw-socke

Nov 21, 2003
maxclientrate 10000 is ok for good connection. I had it at 8500 for a long time as a compromise for the isdn-users, who most probably cut it at 4500-5000 themselfs.

Tickrate 50 is a very good setting, if your servers and connections get along with it. The best european servers (KPlay) have it at 50, and they are the lowpingers.

PushPull99

Jun 24, 2008
maxclientrate 10000 is ok for good connection. I had it at 8500 for a long time as a compromise for the isdn-users, who most probably cut it at 4500-5000 themselfs.

Tickrate 50 is a very good setting, if your servers and connections get along with it. The best european servers (KPlay) have it at 50, and they are the lowpingers.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Based on your suggestions I will try to set Tickrate to 50, MaxClientRate=12000 or something, and MaxInternetClientRate=10000 then.

Keep up the good work! :)
-P