In need of assistance asap

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
I dont know if there is anyone here...but hoping that there is a BuFer here that has experience in hard drive repair...and I mean hard drive repair where you might have to open it up...or at least find a way to fix it. My laptop no longer sees my hard drive, and on the bios its not there. I read on another forum about taking the hard drive out and shaking it, and if I hear something than its damaged. I heard something. I just need something that wont cost me hundreds of dollars.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Do not open a hard drive. NEVER! Those things are assembled in a clean room for a reason.

That said, if bios dosn't detect it it's probably screwed. I would see if you can access it easily to check the connections. laptop drives aren't expensive, and are usually the first thing to fail in a portable (hope you do backups).

If you list the make/model of the laptop, and the drive I we can find a cheap replacement. The other thing is maybe the controller went bad.

Other than that maybe grab a cop of spinrite from grc.com

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
This is like your first completed-paragraph post ever since you post here or something? :eek:
Anyway, I never heard such a thing as opening a HDD before. Unless you want to F it up pretty bad.

I'd try to take it to your nearest "computer store" so a computer tech could take a look and see where your RedTube data went wrong.

Last edited:

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
This is like your first completed-paragraph post ever since you post here or something? :eek:
Anyway, I never heard such a thing as opening a HDD before. Unless you want to F it up pretty bad.

I'd try to take it to your nearest "computer store" so a computer tech could take a look and see where your RedTube data went wrong.

First of all, RedTube stuff, on the desktop

Second...I really shoulda taken it to this computer store near me...if only I had enough money.
And I am going to check out SpinRite.

If you list the make/model of the laptop, and the drive I we can find a cheap replacement. The other thing is maybe the controller went bad.

Other than that maybe grab a cop of spinrite from grc.com

Its a Gatewat MX6437...and how would spinrite work if the bios doesnt see the drive?

Last edited:

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
can you hear the disk spinning? if it sounds bad mechanically there's a good chance the fan isn't running properly

other than that my first recommendation would be to try the drive in another machine, cuz it could well be a broken controller. if it is the drive then your only options are pretty dire (if you can't afford to have it repaired professionally). try tapping it firmly (but not so it breaks) with your knuckles. try putting it in the freezer for about an hour, this may allow it to work for another 30-40 minutes, enough time to back up important data

if none of this works then i guess you'll have to open it up, but this is definitely a last resort and it's highly unlikely you'll be able to fix it. before resorting to this i would recommend waiting a few days, repeating the tapping/freezing and trying again (this has worked for me, obviously it doesn't make much sense but it probably makes more sense than opening your disk). don't touch the surface of the disk with your hands and don't do it in a dusty room. power the disk while it's open and if it doesn't spin, try giving it a push start. check for any damaged bearings, if you find one use a tiny bit of oil on it. and the absolute last resort is to swap the motor assembly with that from another identical drive. i've tried doing that twice and it hasn't worked yet, so good luck

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
^ Dude, you cannot "fix" a hard drive. There's no reason to do so.

The "from now on" scenario:

1) Buy a new hard drive
2) Clean install everything
3) Make regular backups both locally and in the cloud
4) No worries.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
Yea...looks like im getting a new HD. Bought this one (not exact one but one that I found will work with the Laptop had to email Gateway about it)

Might do the freezing thing just to get my IPod library off that HD.
BTW thanks for all the help guys. (except you kantham...no respect)

Last edited: