Epic and MS...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

haramanai

Jul 23, 2008
So what's going on?

No Linux client and editor. We all know that MS is holding back Linux gaming.

Bad port of the engine for PS3. You can find articles everywhere about that the same game runs better on XBox than PS3. Or developers to make extra work on the engine to make it run better on PS3. (There is no excuse that XBox is better than PS3 as we all can see COD4s performance in both consoles and by the time that MGS4 released there is no excuse for graphics performance)

Gears of War...As MS is the publisher.

So ...?

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Corruption.
MS gives money to Epic...

The original MS pattent.
As I said before, a round of applause for idiot Linux Fanboys who are convinced that if a game isn't out for their system at the same time (or even the same year) as it is for an OS with far more users and a far more attractive user base, that it's a MS Conspiracy/Buyoff. :rolleyes:

PCs are already a niche gaming market unless you go for casual games. Linux is a niche of PCs as a whole, especially for gaming. Be patient or install Windows in a dual-boot configuration. You CAN figure out how to do that so that it doesn't corrupt your precious Linux install, right?

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
So what's going on?

Bad port of the engine for PS3. You can find articles everywhere about that the same game runs better on XBox than PS3. Or developers to make extra work on the engine to make it run better on PS3. (There is no excuse that XBox is better than PS3 as we all can see COD4s performance in both consoles and by the time that MGS4 released there is no excuse for graphics performance)

So ...?

Hello? Midway is the publisher of UT3, not Microsoft. The reason it runs better on the 360 is because they've spent their time since November tweaking it. The PS3 is not a straightforward machine to program for.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Also saying the 360 is better than the ps3 is just wrong. If you look at what the ps3 has standard, like blu-ray, and full hd support you'll notice xbawx is in its shadow.

Also op get some common sense.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand

It's the same thing as usual with games; it's not that MS holds back Linux games, it's that game companies aren't in it for the hardware platform, they're in it for the money, and MS dominates the market, largely because of inertia, I think, because the OS doesn't contribute much to the gaming experience. So much so that most people equate "PC" with Windows. They've done some things in the past to lock developers into using their platform, and those things worked.

Looking at it from a distance, it's kind of bizarre that people are willing to pay money for MS when it's just an OS, it's pretty average by itself, and it costs so much more than even triple-A games.

By chance a handful of companies have people who are interested in doing more general work (like id), or being seen to be interested in more general work (like Epic), so Linux gets some ports, but evidently there's not much money in it. How many dozens of companies have licensed UE3, which is multi-platform, but not one has published a Linux version of their game? They are not being held back by MS.

It's another factor driving people to consoles. Why pay a few hundred bucks for Vista to dual-boot for games, when you can get a console instead? MS saw that coming, hence their investment in consoles.

That said, I dual-boot for UT3, so I must be a moran :). I blame Quake 4 for not having bots.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Also saying the 360 is better than the ps3 is just wrong. If you look at what the ps3 has standard, like blu-ray, and full hd support you'll notice xbawx is in its shadow.

Also op get some common sense.
However, looking at the capabilities of each system, the price points they are at, and the lack of many PS3 exclusives that look interesting, which one is better?

The 360 has a better community-based infrastructure, a better marketplace, a better mid-game communication interface, better chatting mechanism, more interesting "arcade" options, most of the games people want to play, many series that used to be PS3 exclusive have now either moved to 360 or are going multiplatform on 360, etc.

So I'd say something as "outlandish" as a blu-ray player that clearly isn't used for anything gaming-wise in 99.9% of cases due to the above, simply does not put the 360 in "it's shadow".

Perhaps use your avatar as reference :)

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
So what's going on?

So ...?

Epic is substantially more experienced with the 360 than with the PS3. They also had more time to work on it. Both the PS3 and the PC version were rushed, the 360 not so much. That's what you get for Sony wanting a timed exclusive.

Hello? Midway is the publisher of UT3, not Microsoft. The reason it runs better on the 360 is because they've spent their time since November tweaking it. The PS3 is not a straightforward machine to program for.

^^ That too.

I don't have anything against the PS3 (I hate it's idiot fanboys, but that's another matter, I hate 360 fanboys, too, they make us legitimate fans look really F***ing bad,) but I just don't see any reason to pick one up. I find ti amusing that now that the PS3 finally has a decent exclusive (after how long?) it's suddenly SOOO much better than everything else, it seems... Bah, that's another rant...

Last edited:

haramanai

Jul 23, 2008
Just for the record. I posted the same thread at the original Unreal Forum and the thread had been deleted. Also the thread was lawfull to the rules of the forum.

Also Windows are turning in Gaming OS ( a bad one too ) as you can see more and more companys and profesionals to work with Linux OS.

Keep in mind that MS abandoned OpenGL hardware acceleration in Vista. The main reason is to force developers to work with DirectX. This way the port to Linux of any 3D aplication is very difficult.

But I don't believe that Epic is an amature company... so they must been ready for the port of the Engine in Linux. But so long time? This is the reason that makes me think that something else is going on... like GOW2.

It's sad that those days the big companys wands more money than respect...

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
The continued lack of understanding among the gaming community that developers and publishers are BUSINESSES still just amazes me. No profits...no games. I'm sorry, you don't put forth a money losing or overtly risky course of action just to please fanboys.

When your actions with your mouths, keyboards and gamepads turn into noticeable actions with your wallets, then you will get everything you want.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
But I don't believe that Epic is an amature company... so they must been ready for the port of the Engine in Linux. But so long time? This is the reason that makes me think that something else is going on... like GOW2.

Epic hand off the porting to a third party rather than doing it themselves, so GOW2 is unlikely to be distracting from the development effort. The last time any specific reason for the delay was mentioned, as far as I can remember, it was due to a legal difficulty.

Obviously id (with the Quake games) handles this sort of thing much better, technically, but there must be some trade-off because Epic is much more successful with its engine licensing.