UE2 - UT2kX Problems with mapsize.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SparksterºSanjulo

Mar 28, 2008
Yea I know I've been filling this place with threads about various problems but it looks like I've got my worst one yet, no the map didnt get wiped, its probably much more frustrating then that.

My map is HUGE! It's around 101 MB, and I'm not even sure why. But I do know I've stuffed it with all sorts of various static meshes and textures (via MyLevel), could this be the reason for it's size? The thing is I've seen many maps with the same amount or more of content as mine and their all super tiny! Why is mine so damn inflated?

It's bad because when I get it uploaded to the trial server no one will be able to play it because it's D/L will be to damn long.

I've tried things such as making certain surfaces unlit, lighting set to 256, compressing textures wth DXT1, lighting the same and still it gets bigger literally every change I make, wether I just change something simple or god forbid add a new room.

Will just seperating stuff out of MyLevel and into their own packages help with this? Cause I don't think there will be a single person who could survive the D/L wait before becoming a skeleton in their chair.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Of course, moving resources (textures, sounds, meshes) to separate packages will reduce the map size. However, the combined download size will not really change, since the same resources are still required for the map. Separating map and resources only gives a significant gain if those resources are used in multiple maps.

SparksterºSanjulo

Mar 28, 2008
Mylevel'ed textures and terrains are going to be your biggest offenders.

only 1 terrain so far, but a crapton of textures...

i thought the things that take up the most space was static meshes, which i also have a crapton of

Of course, moving resources (textures, sounds, meshes) to separate packages will reduce the map size. However, the combined download size will not really change, since the same resources are still required for the map. Separating map and resources only gives a significant gain if those resources are used in multiple maps.
well that sucks since i have no plans to reuse anything, i guess my only option right now is just try to just make the map worth its size since i dont think ill need too much more to finish it up

Matroskin

Jan 25, 2008
Canada
matroskin.cgsociety.org
maps of others might be tiny because they use assets that r shipped with UT3. In such a case ur map contains only BSP, terrain, gameplay stuff etc while all textures/meshes stay in UT3.

Without knowing ur actual assests it's hard to say if 100 megs is ok or not :(

Matroskin

Jan 25, 2008
Canada
matroskin.cgsociety.org
oh sry, lol, i dint see its ut2k4 related...

In this case u might got some of ur packages names duplicated. I had similar issue.
My map's name was the same as my meshes' and textures' packages were. I thought extensions are enough to differentiate different types of resources but unfortunately UE2 does not recognize extensions :(
In fact, it sees only actual names. This way it saves same assets multiple times.

I had my map over 120 megs while in fact it was only 40... It saved all content 3 times into map, mesh and texture package. I corrected it through Rename function in the editor. Aslo u can just 'Save As' ur actual map under different name. That should remove 30% of ur useless megs ;)

Skyydragonn

Feb 12, 2008
Yea I know I've been filling this place with threads about various problems but it looks like I've got my worst one yet, no the map didnt get wiped, its probably much more frustrating then that.

My map is HUGE! It's around 101 MB, and I'm not even sure why. But I do know I've stuffed it with all sorts of various static meshes and textures (via MyLevel), could this be the reason for it's size? The thing is I've seen many maps with the same amount or more of content as mine and their all super tiny! Why is mine so damn inflated?

It's bad because when I get it uploaded to the trial server no one will be able to play it because it's D/L will be to damn long.

I've tried things such as making certain surfaces unlit, lighting set to 256, compressing textures wth DXT1, lighting the same and still it gets bigger literally every change I make, wether I just change something simple or god forbid add a new room.

Will just seperating stuff out of MyLevel and into their own packages help with this? Cause I don't think there will be a single person who could survive the D/L wait before becoming a skeleton in their chair.

I'm just curious but is the stuff you've put in your map all custom made content that you've imported into UeD and added to your level? If not and its all stock content (shipped with the game) there's no reason to save it to 'myLevel' as every copy of UT has that content already.
The only time you need to save something in your map to myLevel is if its custom content or imported from outside of unreal.

What you can try doing is sorting out all of the non stock parts of your level into a seperate package and ship that, as Worbo said it wont reduce the overall download time much but it will allow you to distrubute a large mapfile in a more accpetable format.