First Details: The Hows and Whys of level Design - Second Edition

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The Second Edition of Hourences' book "The Hows and Whys of level Design" has been announced along with the first details.

• An all new introduction chapter covering the history and future of level design, and common problems in the profession of a level designer
  • New In-depth sections covering composition and floorplans.
  • A few dozen small additions on a wide range of subjects such as pacing in singleplayer gameplay, checkpoints, and so on.
  • Dozens of all new or updated example screenshots.
  • The level Krodan added as a third example level.
  • An all new layout and much improved visual style.
  • The book is now printed on A4 paper size.
  • All the text throughout the entire book was touched up and improved significantly, and certain parts were clarified.

To get an idea of what's in store, two example chapters have been updated: Gameplay and Lighting. Look for a release in the next two weeks.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
and i don't see a reason why he shouldn't.
i don't know this revised version but the first one was very interesting and chock-full of useful information. and judging by the two updated sample chapters it only got better.

MaestroMaus

Jul 22, 2008
I didn't mean that in a negative way. I was just guessing he is trying to get it there because of this updated version which is typically done in educational books. And I was guessing it loud so that he might give a reaction on the guess.

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
The book isn't really well suited for educational purposes imo, its more about the theory behind it all, and stuff like that.

As far as I know, most schools will mainly teach you how to make stuff, not the rest.

But yeah I guess it would help somewhat anyway. :p

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
still imho, that book should go to educations that focuss on games..
they need to know the ins and outs..
Ive tried to get the school I was one, to buy the books.
But even though interested.. I wonder if they did..

guess not :p

congrats sjoerdje!

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
I bought the first edition a while back and it was very helpful to me. I have an extensive background in art so I already knew many of the topics covered in a sense. But what was great about it, was taking my instinctive art skills and things I already knew to do in level design and telling me why. Knowing exactly why something works well instead of instinctively knowing do's and don'ts helped me to understand and implement things better.

Planning what I want to do for specific areas is easier because I know the reasons why something works better instead of tweaking until I'm happy with it. There are a lot of small things that I would have never thought of as well. Simple yet important things like different sounds for elevators in multiplayer arenas to give away player locations. I think this book has improved my process and my work overall. I highly recommend anyone interested in level design to order this.

Great book Hourences!

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
The Hows and Whys of Level Design is temporarily unavailable while the launch for the Second Edition is being prepared - check back in a week!

I thought it was "the Art of lvl design".... anyways, I was thinkin to myself today: "self, I need an Unreal book", and behold!
Sign me a hardcopy :)