Am I the only one with laggy menus when the game starts?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
It's not like a have a low-end rig or anything, you know?
It's just that when I'm eager to quickly join a match, the menus lag when I select some options, such as Multiplayer-Join Game, or Instant Action, for example.. Like in the old days when we all had UT99 and pressed "Start Practice Session" and had to wait for a year because of all the maps we had.

But am I the only one with this annoyance? Or is that what everyone bitches about when talking about consolised menus?

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
The only time it lags for me now is when the browser is loading the server list and when it first loads my favorites. On my old comp it used to lag like crazy every time I changed menu's but now that I have my new system, it's stopped lagging except in those two instances.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
I have a pretty decent rig and it lags for as well. The funny thing is it was really fast when I first installed the game and now it's like it got lazy on me.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The UT3 menus are completely full of fail. Having load times of more than a second going from one menu to another is unacceptable.

And that is because of the BG map in the background. Which is also including the character customization background. Like you said, and always say. Fail.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
I have one annoyance about the menu, I can mind the lag in the browsing of sub menus, but why does it have to load main menu?!
Ofcourse having 3d in the background is a must lol
What happened to good old fashion uwindows or just general 2d menus.

Well I shouldn't complain I don't even play the game.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
It loads a map on the backround. Funny thing is that you can actually see it only if you deactivate bloom & blur completely; without editing the .ini file no way you can see the map in the backround.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The slowness of the UI is what makes it kinda annoying for me. I don't care about the options, but I only want a better bot customization menu.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I have a quad core with 4GB ram and 8800GT, and the UI is laggy...but when I turn on SLI, it's not laggy at all. So yea its pretty badly optimized.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have a dual core, 2GB ram and an 8800gts and it's not laggy for me at all.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
^ I have these specs too, and for me it's a bit laggy when I choose the gametype.
This problem has started when I installed several custom maps, when I had only the retail ones it was smooth.

Even the "practice session" of UT took a while to load depending on how many maps were loaded.