GAWD I ****ING SUCK AT UT!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Goughmezz

Banned
Jun 10, 2000
Sacramento, CA, US
Visit site
GRRRR!!! Everytime I go online I get schooled! DAMNIT!!! Q3 I can do fine at but when you can't kill anyone no matter how many times you hit the guy and everytime they hit you the kill you, somethings wrong!!! **** **** **** **** ****!!!!

Omega-Seven

Apr 17, 2000
none.yet
It's called lag ;)
Hey don't feel bad. I used to suX0r so much at FPS in general, I never bought one. I dunno what made me dl the demo. I loved assualt so I got the game.

And my first online games sucked really hard.
Playing the SP tutorials (and beating SP) will hone your skills a lot. So do bot matches with bots on auto-adjust (to gradually get you better and not only more frustrated)...

And my last tip (that doesn't involve tactic specific junk) [heh, 'junk'. anyway]
Is to practice. Play those hopeless matches. And when you get thoroghly spanked, rather than cuss yourself out, ask your opponent what you are 'doing wrong'. If you are playing with PuF, more often than not they'll stop to help you. And give you pointers, so on. Also try to spectate in matches. Not only do you get to know maps (an important thing), but you learn little nuances (these are harder to pickup...things like dodge, aiming by predicting human nature, so forth).

Good luck gladiator, and hang in there...

bullet2.gif

"I see Red (team) people..."

-Jing|PuF|
ngUID:1458562

Goughmezz

Banned
Jun 10, 2000
Sacramento, CA, US
Visit site
Yeah, Q3 and UT are really different games come to find out. If you don't know the weapons and maps and where all of the keys to the map are located, then chances are you will really die. I am just used to Q3....but still! ARGH!!!!

Morrada

May 26, 2000
Visit site
You have to just keep playing. Morety is right, find a map and stick with for a while (Deck 16 or Facing Worlds). After you start to feel invulnerable, start playing against better players. You will get spanked, repeatedly, but if you watch them kill you enough times you start to learn.

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Believe me, this is normal - take it from someone who currently plays UT, Tribes, Q3, Half-Life, SiN(yes!), and now SoF, online.

These games are very different and all of them require practice. The only way to get better is to keep playing. Eventually you'll get it.

-
chainsaw.GIF

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
- Freelancer and Shock Rifle whore for ]LoL[

Steppin'_Razor

Jun 10, 2000
Columbus OH
Visit site
I am not the one to give advice but will share my experience. I have been playing about 6-8 weeks. Have only played online. I die real good. I have had 2 or 3 games where I hit a groove and did well(for me). I plan to keep playing and dying. I figure those great players need me to keep their scores up.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Lol at Prophetus!

You must really like LK a lot to tease him like that :)

bullet2.gif

All I wanna do is zooma zoom zoom zoom and a Boom Boom!!!
]LoL[Boom|PuF

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Yup cleaner is right, i can handle myself in UT, but with Q3 its a lot tougher, i think visa versa is the same.

Most UT is now 8 months old, and expierienced players have in that time, master all those maps in a awfull way.
Same as i enter a Q3 game, i am lost in the games, and run around desperate looking for health etc.
I

bullet2.gif

Nominated by PuF as King of LPB's
Defense and Freelance player for [Ci]

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff , home of the world-famous Llama Farm!

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
I'm not to bad at single player UT. I play the Masterful bots and get whooped most of the time, but Adept is too easy so I stick with Masterful, unless I'm trying out a new mod occasionly. However I get completely slaughtered online, due to an elite combination of 56k modem and the fact that I'm used to playing a set of instructions depending on variables fed in by other sets of instructions and people. There are ways you can always tell a bot... e.g. they don't see infinite distances, they always run the same routes, and when you walk up to them and they don't have the Flak Cannon they'll pull out the Impact Hammer. This means you can run up to them, then run away while they get out their Impact Hammer, and keep running backwards firing.

bullet2.gif

If anyone discovers what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Ahh, don't worry about it. It takes awhile to get used to UT, especially online where most of those people play 24/7. But, if you want to increase your spirits, then play LordKhaine...you can't lose :). Or to simulate playing LordKhaine at UT, set your bots to "PleaseKillMeNow" and their aiming to "IsThisGameAslideShow". Then start your game and ensure the bots disconnects every two minutes. :)

bullet2.gif

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

CAPTURE! Home of CTF map reviews, strategies and Forums.

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
Don't sweat it. I've been playing offline for months. I still get slaughtered online. Some people are just better, and some have better ping.

It's really bad when you get your *** kicked by somebody with a worse ping then yours.

I think I'm an OK player. I was playing 1on1 DM and I could not get a frag. I just keep trying though. Never give up!

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
LOL @ Proph. :D

Pick a map you think is cool and stick with it for a bit. There's some servers that have only Deck16 if you're into some DM. Play that a few times and you'll see your frag count start heading north.

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Morety|PuF

Because hey, if it weren't for Llamas? I wouldn't seem like such a great guy.

]LoL[ - A big clan of Spam.

Omega-Seven

Apr 17, 2000
none.yet
Damnit, my 100 ton Battle mech is circle strafing to slow!!!

Why can't my UT character launch 20 long range missiles? argh!

Can't we all just get along?
=)

bullet2.gif

"I see Red (team) people..."

-Jing|PuF|
ngUID:1458562

Rasinator

Apr 10, 2000
Portland, OR
Visit site
I try and find servers and players that are a better than me. That's about 99.99% of the servers out there. But, if I don't play them I can't get better and if I don't watch them I don't learn their "tricks".

I've been playing LMS for about a week now and I believe it has helped my overall DM skills. There are some good players that play LMS.

LOL@Proph. :D

Ah yes, how many times have I uttered those magical words? "God I f'ing suck at this!!" My suggestions are as follows:

-Buy a kick a$$ computer.
-Buy a kick a$$ videocard.
-Buy a kick a$$ optical mouse.
-Buy a kick a$$ mouse pad.
-Buy into kick a$$ dsl or cable.

Three to four thousand dollars later, you should be good to go! Repeat as necessary. Contact a physician if the problem persists.