UE2 - UT2kX Water volumes brake paths

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
I remember posting about a similar issue many months ago but I'm not sure if it's the same thing... please moderate this if it's a double / too similar question.

I have a 2k4 map in which bots must go underwater and walk through a underwater tunnel. However, when the bot touches the Physics / Water volume, instead of going underwater normally like the path nodes indicate it starts spinning and walking around randomly and pushing around into the walls like they're attempting to go into a completely invalid direction.

In this map, the bot enters the water from dry land, so it must walk from a normal area into the water. I did this by linking path nodes from dry land to path nodes in the water volume, and continuing the underwater tunnel pathing normally. However, bots just go crazy when they touch the water and start facing random positions and walking in completely pointless directions, completely ignoring any kind of path node in the area. And of course I also checked the paths with "Show Paths" on... the arrows between the path nodes show the correct directions but in-game bots forget everything there.

Why is this happening, how can it be fixed? Did anyone else have such problems with paths in water volumes and manage to solve them?

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Are you using ForcedPaths between them? I've found that fixes a lot of bot wonkiness.

Yes, I am. However it still does the exact same thing and just doesn't want to go towards them. There are also a lot of paths there so they are very close to one another. Is there anything special I should do for pathing underwater? I tried everything I could think of... something seems to disrupt the paths basically, and the bots start shaking and loosing control.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
I will if its necessary but for now I think i discovered the issue; My map is a CTF map and this issue seems to take place because sometimes the bots seem to attempt to go straightly towards the enemy flag without trying to use path nodes once they hit a water volume (and not only, if i notice better).

The flags are in another substract then the rest of the map, in a completely isolated area. The only way to get there and from one side to another is through teleporters. Its the only way I can have my map like and apparently bots start to randomly press into walls rather then using the path nodes like they should. Uploaded a drawn schema of how i have the map and flags arranged.

Is there any way to disable this behavior and make sure flags are only attempted to be reached through path nodes? I'm not sure if this is my issue but i think this is it, and that would fix it.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Nevermind, I managed to fix the issue. It was a path node I missed somewhere and the path cycle between the flags was broken. I completed it now and now bots go where they should :)