Best graphics settings for playing online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What graphics settings make your online experience a more pleasant one ? Here's mine for a desktop PC powered by an Athlon XP and ATI card:

ATI Tray Tools
// These settings are needed to bog down the PC just a little as otherwise the game acts weird
AA: 2x
AF: 2x
Texture: Quality
Mipmap: Quality

// this is important as frame rates are unstable on more powerful machines
Vsync: Always on

// Save messing around with refresh rates
Refresh rate override: Same as desktop

// Supposed to handle variations in frame but can cause skipping in some games. Test this.
Triple buffering: On

Ini settings (OpenGL)

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
; Set this to true
UseVSync=True
; Set to the same refresh rate as your screen
RefreshRate=75
DetailTextures=False
UseTrilinear=True
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
LODBias=-1.000000
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
Translucency=1
VolumetricLighting=1
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
MaxAnisotropy=5
AlwaysMipmap=False
UsePrecache=True
SupportsLazyTextures=0
VolumetricLighting=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
MaxLogTextureSize=2048
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=0
MaxLogUOverV=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
DisableSpecialDT=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseVertexSpecular=False
ShareLists=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
; Set to 1.
SwapInterval=1
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=True
BufferClippedActorTris=False
SinglePassDetail=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
; Set to something slightly above 100.
Frameratelimit=120
ZRangeHack=False
CacheStaticMaps=False
BufferTileQuads=False
SinglePassFog=True
DetailMax=0
NoMaskedS3TC=False
Use16BitTextures=False
OneXBlending=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Vsync screws your mouse imput (mouse turns feel laggy) so I wouldn't recommand it very much.

My Direct3D9 settings, I'm not using any external application (ATI Tray tools or CCC)

[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=8
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=180
SwapInterval=0
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseVertexProgram=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=75
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=ATI Radeon HD 3850
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I forgot to mention that lowering the netspeed can help cap the frame rate. As a rule of thumb netspeed 5500 would suit a 1024x768 resolution at 85Hz.

As for vsync, I'm afraid it appears to be necessary for Opengl as a complement to the frameratelimit in ini settings. Otherwise the game won't appear to animate smoothly.

Note that using vsync=true on the old d3d renderer actually turns it off. This has probably been fixed in Chris Dohnal's version.

If you're using OpenGL here's a list of symptoms that point to graphics issues:
- Getting a hit with sniper is hard while it's still doable with shock primary.
- Sometimes you will double hit the ground when falling a certain distance and even get damage even though the fall wasn't long enough.
- You appear to lag slightly to other players.
- Walking alongside other players messes around with your control.
- The screen appears to "lurch" or stutter every now and then.
- Text messages at the top of the screen sometimes only appear moments later after an event.
- You will sometimes die a fraction of a second later than expected when fragged.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Even a moderately old system can easily push 4xAA and 16x AF with UT. I could certainly do it on my old Athlon XP 3000+ with a GeForce 6800 GT in it. Also, your framerate weirdness is caused by your framerate going over 200 - Cap it as seen here (FrameRateLimit=200) and you'll find that problem will magically vanish.

My settings:
[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
BufferClippedActorTris=True
BufferTileQuads=True
CacheStaticMaps=False
Coronas=True
DescFlags=0
Description=nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
DetailTextures=True
FrameRateLimit=200
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
HighDetailActors=True
LODBias=0.000000
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxTMUnits=0
MaskedTextureHack=False
NoAATiles=True
NoFiltering=False
NumAASamples=4
OneXBlending=False
RefreshRate=100
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
SceneNodeHack=True
ShinySurfaces=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SwapInterval=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
Use16BitTextures=False
Use565Textures=False
UseAA=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UsePrecache=True
UsePureDevice=False
UseS3TC=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UseSSE=True
UseSSE2=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseTexPool=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseVertexProgram=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ZRangeHack=True

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I have an AXP 2500+ and x850xt (AGP) card. If I use 4x AA and 16x AF the mouse will tend to swim a little which is quite annoying when you're twitch shooting. However if the settings are too "light" (performance setting on texture and mipmap) this causes other problems. That's why I'd advise turning eye candy on a little so the system has to work a little.

You're right about about the frame rate problem mainly coming from the system pumping out too many frames. It seems to be a common problem for many older games including Quake 3. Activating vsync and adjusting netspeed just seem to help the game feel even more stable.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
AFAIK VSync caps your framerate to your screen refresh rate, at least in UT2003. That's why I usually have it off - to see how much frames I can get from this new PC.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Vertical synchronisation limits framerate to whatever frequency your screen is using. This is 60Hz (=60 frames per second) unless you're using a refresh-locking utility. Most gamers used to leave it off in order to get the most frames possible but on new computers this is making games unplayable.

This is probably because so many frames are being pumped out. Beyond a certain number of frames UT can appear to play in slow motion.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Not exactly. VSync synchronises swapping frame buffers with the screen's refresh to stop tearing, which happens when the screen refresh occurs part-way through a buffer swap, displaying an upper section of the current frame but lower section of the previous frame. Given ideal conditions then it will synchronise every frame, but if the system can't keep up then it will drop to half the refresh rate, or 1/3 and so on. The adverse effect of this on the UT engine is that it can screw up the game timing, causing the game speed to vary, so it's best to keep it off, but as said above put a frame rate limit on as too high a framerate can also cause timer issues.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Interesting, I think I learned something here. So if I understand things correctly the way things work from a point of view of hardware is that the image to be displayed is stored (in video memory ?) and then displayed each time there's a refresh. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll do a few tests to see if this helps. Opengl appears to be more "flaky" on ATI cards. I'd have gone back to Direct3D but the standard renderer is so out of date that it takes ages for UT to shut down and it really messes around with mouse control. I shall have to test the updated renderers.

Btw, I brought this subject up as it took me ages to figure out what was happening and during that time the game was practically unplayable. I hope it'll help a few people out there. Don't hesitate to share some other tips if you have any.

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Pretty much yes. Basically the video card stores two (or more, see here) frames in memory, and switches between them so it renders to one while the other is displayed on the screen. If VSync is on it will render the frame then wait until the next screen refresh before rendering the next frame.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ok. I'm doing some testing now. One good way to test to see if UT will play optimally is to open cityintro. If your settings are good the flyby should animate fluidly. If it doesn't, say around the first corner or when the first flames appear, you have some tweaking to do.

Zeratul

Mar 19, 2008
Hmmm a resourcefull thread, thanks guys.

Just two things i wanted to know:
I play under 1024x768 resolution at 85Hz and i have netspeed=10000. Is there like no need to go over 5500?

Also mentioned: "Getting a hit with sniper is hard while it's still doable with shock primary."
That is so true in my case but i'm using d3d8 not OGL, what causes that?

Zeratul

Mar 19, 2008
Server tickrate maybe?

Not sure really, happens on various servers.
The first server is a ZP sniper with a tickrate of 30 or 35, not sure.
Also, the problem isn't in other people because i've been testing it with bots when the server was empty. I had a bunch of unregistered shots.

The second server is a non-ZP all weapons, dunno the tickrate.
Sniper gets so hard to use. Now i wouldnt be surprised there because it's a non zeroping server, but shock rifle primary fire behaves perfect as every hit registeres nicely.

Basicaly, thats the case on most servers for me. Sniper occasionally feels like the hitbox is messed up but the shock primary works perfect.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Hmmm a resourcefull thread, thanks guys.

Just two things i wanted to know:
I play under 1024x768 resolution at 85Hz and i have netspeed=10000. Is there like no need to go over 5500?

Also mentioned: "Getting a hit with sniper is hard while it's still doable with shock primary."
That is so true in my case but i'm using d3d8 not OGL, what causes that?
Netspeed basically affects how often you send data packets to the server. 5500 is probably for low-end DSL or ISDN connections, while 10000 is good for Cable Modems. The higher your netspeed, the more fluid things will be online (since you're getting more frequent updates to and from the server) but the more bandwidth it will use. Going over 10000 is probably pointless.

Also, if you use something too high for your internet connection, you'll experience lag and packet loss.

As for the second question? Purely placebo effect. Shock Primary and Sniper Rifle are both hitscan weapons - the beam "travelling" effect on the shock rifle is just that - an effect. Both weapons hit instantly. It's likely a factor of ping and/or packet loss, or else maybe you just have that idea in your mind subconsciously and it affects your performance.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I have tried all these new drivers and they look really good for me. The problem is that all of them give me different glitches in some things when in other things I get the same bug in all as well.

If I use the new OpenGL Support, some of the glitches I get is that my weapon priority messes up completely .Whenever I pick up a weapon, I cant switch to the privious weapon as if it got deleted from my Inventory, and this goes on when I pick other types of weapons. The other problem I get is that it always lag when I'm a Client in a server. And for the most annoying problem, I never get to have an FPS greater than 48 no matter how low poly my view is when I get over 70 fps with the default D3D Support.

If I use d3d8, I always lag when I'm a Client in servers and never get to see my FPS any higher than 48 and maps act like low performance. With this one, my weapon priority doesn't get all messed up.

With d3d9, I get the same results as the d3d8 except that the graphics look a lot nicer.

Any help as to get any of these bugs will help out a lot of people I know because most of them have the same results as I do when they use any of these drivers specially the lag when we even have the options set to UsePrecache=True and RefreshRate=60 or 75.

Last edited:

Zeratul

Mar 19, 2008
Netspeed basically affects how often you send data packets to the server. 5500 is probably for low-end DSL or ISDN connections, while 10000 is good for Cable Modems. The higher your netspeed, the more fluid things will be online (since you're getting more frequent updates to and from the server) but the more bandwidth it will use. Going over 10000 is probably pointless.

Also, if you use something too high for your internet connection, you'll experience lag and packet loss.

As for the second question? Purely placebo effect. Shock Primary and Sniper Rifle are both hitscan weapons - the beam "travelling" effect on the shock rifle is just that - an effect. Both weapons hit instantly. It's likely a factor of ping and/or packet loss, or else maybe you just have that idea in your mind subconsciously and it affects your performance.

Tbh i am using a low-end DSL so it might be a good move to lower the netspeed to 5500. The only thing i don't know is how it affects refresh rate as i have it on 85 HZ.

As for the sniper issue, i actually thought it might be just in my mind because i probably dont have packetloss (it's 0% each time i check).
Well that was until i joined the sniper server and played alone with bots.
Now, the bots skill is set to low and they move REALLY slow. I could clearly see that in the time my crosshair was on their body, i fired shots and nothing happened.
Ping could explain it but it's a server with zeroping on and most of people consider it working great.

For some reason, i never get that when using shock on any normal weapons server i try.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I decided to try D3D9 and used Raynor.Z settings but my sky boxes are messed up as in the texture that surround mountains is all black :[ Everything else works perfectly.