Consoles to pay for user mods - the future?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Should PS3/Consoles pay for custom content?

(short version)
There needs to be some sort of long-term incentive for PC users to essentially promote other gaming platforms - especially considering it requires additional effort to do so, and I'd rather be promoting PC gaming.
Plus it divides the online community - more players on console means less players for online PC, not to mention less custom content.
As I see it, this will get worse as more platforms are supported (eg xbox) and the only difference is more workload for a modder to support it - with all these negative side-effects for their own platform..

I'm talking like 10c a map, maybe 50c for full conversions, if that - and modders could still choose to release their work for free (doesnt kill people just starting out, or not so great at mapping yet ... free download = it will be downloaded). I wont go into details, but I myself would not mind paying say $5 for access to around 50 extra quality maps/mods (but my idea is that PC doesnt pay for mods - thats the incentive to go PC).

This is not about making money - only the top 1% of content would ever make a "decent" amount anyway (ie 10,000+ views/downloads).
Just trying to think of ways to A. Promote PC gaming (as mods are free), B. Support the modding community for their great work, etc..

(slips into flameproof suit)
Interested in peoples thoughts..

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
If the developers set the cost and take the profit sans a small percentage to have the mod certified. I don't think it's the future. Steam already offers this kind of service.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Modding for profit would be a pretty bad idea. It will end up discouraging creativity and innovation and become like the main industry.

They should keep it totally free, flowing and accessible. The incentive for modding should be being proud of making something awesome!

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Well, I'd certainly be willing to pay for quality custom content, and a lot more than 10-50C, too, if it buys me some artistic control. But personally I'd prefer informal, private arrangements to some kind 'official', centralized Xbox Live crap or whatever.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
There's already enough rubbish around, if people would get payed to release map, everybody will give a shot.

You know what they should do?
A contest !!!!
A contest of making something "Unreal" eheh, with a big price (let's say...1 M $).
That will lead to the best talent to do something great.

A contest, I've had a great idea !!!!!1111
I bet nobody ever though of it eh ehehehhe.

Stuff like this has already come into place like with oblivion both PC and xbos players have to buy the small addons released by the studio bethesda but i guess that is because the studio actually made the game in the first place ... paying for third party mods i think would be a huge mistake but if its something the company that created the game in the first place has released then its their decision to do so and there really isnt anything we can do to stop them unless you have no loyalty to the company that made the game then in that case i guess your lowerd ethics will eventually lead you to paying for the contact and then leaking it out to the web.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! PIRATE MONKIES!

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Its definately an issue, as like you said, you are practically helping to split the community, and promote another platform than your own when cooking for the PS3, it is understandable that modders have their doubts about doing it.

But paying for mods just opens up the door for way too many other potential problems, i just don't see it as the solution.

On the whole, i just plain think going cross platform with this title was a horrible idea, its not like the UT community was very big to start with, and a game like this needs lots of players and servers to survive, so driving a big fat wedge into the community by splitting it in 3 is just.. not good.

But i doubt they will change their mind about that for future versions, there's just too much money to be made selling it on all 3 platforms.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Modding for profit would be a pretty bad idea. It will end up discouraging creativity and innovation and become like the main industry.

I understand what your saying, and I basically agree - I cant think of any other "incentive" is all.. maybe all the money could go into a prize pool for best map/mod voted by the community or something.

And I mean the incentive is not for modders to make money, rather for PS3 or XBOX users to consider buying the PC version instead (the ones who wont use the editor, which is the only difference currently). Epic still makes a sale either way.

Anybody have any non-money ideas as an incentive, id love to know..

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
There's already enough rubbish around, if people would get payed to release map, everybody will give a shot.

You know what they should do?
A contest !!!!
A contest of making something "Unreal" eheh, with a big price (let's say...1 M $).
That will lead to the best talent to do something great.

A contest, I've had a great idea !!!!!1111
I bet nobody ever though of it eh ehehehhe.

Nobody is going to pay for rubbish (people just starting out release for free, as they get better.. or even just release on PC until they are really good)

And I appreciate your sarcasm about the unreal contest, but you said it yourself - That will lead to the best talent to do something great... Im sure it will for the existing modding community, but thats not what this is about..
Im talking about getting more players on PC.

I wouldn't like to see the PC version become only modders and the other 90% of players on consoles. Feels like thats where its heading.

ds3

Feb 25, 2008
ROFL.
They WON'T BUY ANY MODS THEN.
Why buy mods for some "little"(big part of console gamers don't know that is UT anyway) game then you could play GALO or another crappy shooter?
No way THIS will help. It will only take away part of community.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Im talking about getting more players on PC.

I wouldn't like to see the PC version become only modders and the other 90% of players on consoles. Feels like thats where its heading.

Look, if you had both a PS3 and a top-of-the-line PC, what version of UT3 would you buy?
Ok, UT3 is a console game ported to PC (I think we all agree). But the advantages in buying the PC versions are huge:

- Graphic is really better on the PC. The PS3 has a GPU more or less like the GeForce 7600 GT
(both at 22.4 GB/s memory bandwidth, PS3 = 256 MB @ 650 MHz, GeForce = 700 MHz (1400 MHz effective).
As UT3 can "drain the life away" (like someone in UT3 says) of the most advanced videocards when the community will make seriously HUGE maps with 64 players, you can have a better experience with the PC
- maps and mods are easily available (I'm not sure how you can install custom content for the PS3)
- more customizable
- servers won't ban you if you use keyboard and mouse
- I may be wrong, but I think the game itself costs less in the PC

To cut a long story short, you will be playing with the PC if you have a "gaming PC", full stop. Everybody that could play with a PC will play with a PC.

So to get more players for the PC UT3 should....well....do something that justify spending 1000 € for a decent PC.
Seriously, would a UT3 mod make you spend 1000 €, alone?
I spent that money because I'm passionate about PC, because I like to assemble it myself, because I like to own a good GPU, and so on. But if someone cares only about videogames will buy a console, no matter what.

So unless Epic will put cocaine in the PC game to enhance the gaming experience, they cannot do anything to move people from console to PC.

Those who can do something, and really should, are Intel, AMD, ATI, nVidia etc. lowering the price of assembling a gaming PC. (and therefore selling more of them).
That's the only way to drive more people to PC gaming, when someone will realize that buying a PS3 + a weak PC to surf internet more expensive than gaming PC

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004

They should keep it totally free, flowing and accessible. The incentive for modding should be being proud of making something awesome!

I dunno if it would limit creativity, it certainly might but then again it could encourage more of it since the incentive is there to be different.

We see it with indy developers as well, I guess thats more of what it would be over mods, just opening UE up for indy devs alittle more.

I can certainly see where you are coming from though, Im happy to release my stuff for free and I do it because I enjoy it. When we look at the games biz on a whole though it is a different monster to what it has been in the past, there was a time when every developer was trying to do something unique. Now its kinda falling into a spot where everyone is sticking to features they know do well and not trying a great deal outside of that.

This could help to fill that gap alittle but I do tend to lean in agreeance with you that it could hurt some, infact it might limit the mod community more since everyone is out to make the money instead of making mods. I just dont think its so black and white, Im sure there would be who would take advantage of this to make something unique or something they would like to see done instead of what the market tells them will sell :cool:

os][ris

May 10, 2006
Being as though mods for UT have always been free. I would wouldn't pay a DIME for content on x-live. It's just mind boggling to me that they would even suggest it.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Too many issues. Would remakes have to be released for free? What if someone made small changes to a map someone else made, and released it for free? Would people just download that version? Who would enforce the copyright if the original author complained? Would you allow people to make changes to maps they had purchased at all, even if it were for personal use? If so how would you keep piracy to a minimum? Would there be any form of quality control? If so, who would get to decide what's acceptable? If not, how would you deal with complaints and refunds regarding broken content? If you would deal with that with user reviews, how would you monitor them to prevent falsely positive reviews spammed by the author and friends?

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
/me falls out of chair

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is the funniest thing anyone has ever said about anything EVAR!

Too bad I didn't invent it. Maybe all the people who was thinking so got erased in the big forum crash.

When you have slide bars, 3 graphic options, no bot roster, no customizability whatsoever, a menu that asks you for confirmation every button you press, no change view in the vehicles... it's not a console game, no.

FYI this is a menu of a PC game:
http://www.nvnews.net/articles/benchmarking/ut2004/images/display_settings_s.gif

And this is a menu of a console game:
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9815/ut3demo2007102418080861dm8.jpg

Try to compare them, maybe eventually you will find some differences.