UE3 - UT3 Can we import custom rigs for non-anthropomorphic characters?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
If I remember correctly, there was a discussion about something we were hoping for in a future patch for UT3 where we would be allowed to use custom rigs.

Are we allowed to do so now?

I'd like to model/rig/weight an animal, and import it into a 3D scene in UE3/UT3, but wasn't sure if that's possible right now.

Any ideas?

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
As far as I know you use custom rigs in UT3. It just takes a little more work.
Right know I'm on a quest to get a completely custom character in-game. That means custom rigg, animations, fractions (fixed by patch 1.3 hopfuly), ragdoll and uv a custom layout. I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to have custom UV layouts a part for making a TC but I you can't blame me for trying.

Just the other night I managed to import a simple custom rigg I made in XSI.
As you can see it's one complete mesh and slide around in T-pose for lack of animations. I had a simple texture on it but that's all messed up because I refuse to follows Epics rules lol.
screenshot00018ge8.png

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
LOL, I know what you mean, I'd love to have lots of freedom for textures and compression.

InAction

I make things move
Jan 21, 2008
As said, you can make custom rigs - you just have do remake everything. Animations, Physical assets, you name it.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Haha jackpot! It can't believe it actually works.
The cloth cape too.
Oh and don't mind the 3 fps lol. There was a small pause when I took the screen shot as I was recording video too.

screenshot00057xh0.jpg

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Yeah. It was a checkered colour texture but I didn' bother unwarp the UVs so it only shows that pink colour.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Well yes and no. What the UT3 characters use to simulate cloth is actually dynamic bones or ragdoll bones. There are options to set real-time cloth physics to a skeletal mesh but I've never gotten this to work of player characters only on level props like curtains, flags etc.

IronSparrow

Jun 17, 2008
ahhh, okay. Yeah I notice some of the characters in the game have fabric "like" material hangin from their waist. I am working on some characters that are based on ancient china and some of their armor and clothing is similar so i was curious as to the technique used in their cloth like simulation.

Thanks Xero