UE1 - UT New Invisiblity FX?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AcidGlow

May 10, 2008
As I played, I wondered why they didn't make a better cloak FX like using the WATER/Lava rippling effects as a cloak? You know the clear ripples that animate in the water, green slime and lava pits? That would be a better cloak then the default one.

Think this is possible?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Anything is possible as long as it can be programmed.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Sure, but the invisibility won't work for people on low settings I think, unless you can force. On the other hand, the current invisibility can't be seen with low settings too.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Those ripples are actually displacements of the original water texture. They are created with WetTextures. Unfortunately the displacement is only applied to the base texture, not to whatever is behind the surface using that texture.

Actual distortions of whatever is behind the cloaked object is only possible in Unreal Engine 3. Unreal Engine 2 may be able to sort-of hack in something using a ScriptedTexture + DrawPortal, but that combination is not available to Unreal Engine 1 games like UT.