PDA

View Full Version : UT3 Released: UT3Fixer P1: EXPERIMENTAL fix for custom maps

BattleMode
16th May 2008, 08:23 PM
UT3Fixer P1 is an EXPERIMENTAL fix for the "package not found download was already attempted" error that prevents UT3 server owners from installing custom maps on UT3 servers.

Go to http://www.onsrpg.com/ut3mods.php for download. Includes documentation and all source code (GPL V3).

It is based on a combination of disabling "seamless travel" while at the same time still keeping the players connected to the server (disabling seamless will initially kick all players off the server).

UT3Fixer is based on a custom PlayerController which means it will NOT be compatible with a lot of mutators and gametypes like e.g. BattleRPG, Galtanor's Invasion and Battle Team/Freezetag Arena. It should work with all standard gametypes though.

If UT3Fixer turns out to indeed solve the "package not found download was already attempted" problem I will perhaps release custom versions for compatibility with these gametypes/mutators or integrate the fix in them or figure out a way to do this without replacing the PlayerController (if that is possible at all).

PLEASE let me know if this fixes the problem and also what side effects this has.

BattleMode
17th May 2008, 02:28 AM
Some info exchanged on the UT3SERVERS mailing list that contains some interesting information. So far it seems to work, but it needs larger scale testing before we can be really sure about that.

---

Doz: "Thank you for the UT3Fixer. You Rock and keep up the good work."

You're welcome.

Hedsteem: "Pay it..Works Like a Charm. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD WORK! Epic Give that guy a JOB!"

Thank you for testing, good to know it seems to work. I did some testing of course, but this is the type of thing that needs large scale testing to be sure how well it works. I am curious how it will hold up.

Hedsteem: "The only bug I can report is Trying to change the map with Webadmin which Mr Michael can look into I'm sure can look into. It Freezes the map (but changes it) solid but the clients can reconnect and get back in. Travels A LOT faster with a webadmin map change. So far so good."

Good to know this, I will put a warning in the readme of the next version. Does the map stay frozen forever?

Hedsteem: "So far I have not noticed any ill effects, but I'll let it run a few days and collect more data and reply with my results."

Yes please, thank you.

Brizz: "For what? Typing out some lines of code that had already been explained by an Epic employee?"

Actually that is not what I did. The disabling seamless travel part was Matt Oelfke’s brilliant idea (I would never have thought of that, clearly mentioned his input in the readme). However my solution to the problem that disabling seamless travel means all players get kicked from the server was mine. Just compare the (included) source code with the messages on this mailing list. Usually creating software takes the idea's of several people which is why my readme files always have such long contributor lists.

Brizz: "Good work anyway :)"

Thank you.

Brizz: "Sounds like they already wrote it for the patch"

Since Matt Oelfke fixed it internally for Epic and a while after that suggested "Anyway, I thought of another potential workaround" I think the Epic fix and UT3Fixer might be using a different solution.

Doz
17th May 2008, 10:29 AM
Nico I hope to load UT3Fixer P1 on my server today and then I will load many custom War maps and get back to ya.

We will test it for Sunday Nights Warfare Night on a 24 man server that fills up with many good players that give me feed back.

So much for my Saturday but hey this is for UT3.;)

BattleMode
17th May 2008, 11:15 AM
Nico I hope to load UT3Fixer P1 on my server today and then I will load many custom War maps and get back to ya.

We will test it for Sunday Nights Warfare Night on a 24 man server that fills up with many good players that give me feed back.

So much for my Saturday but hey this is for UT3.;) Thank you, I would be very interested in the results.