Standard FAL / L1A1 differences

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Not really much traffic here lately, but this is still the place where I ask such stuff usually, so here we go:

What are the differences between the standard production FAL and the British L1A1?

So far I figured out L1A1 is semi-auto only and has a different charging handle, but I assume there are more. Also any links to pictures of L1A1 (especially detail views of ront/rear sights, charging handle, fire selcetor - err saftey switch, and so on) or perhaps even a pdf-manual would be greatly appreciated.

I know this might also fit the unofficial technical weapon question thread, but since it's a rather special question I thought a spearate thread might be in order..

Thanks in advance.

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Yay! Go L1a1!!!

Besides the ones you mentioned, i can think of a few other differences. There's a slightly different front stock (namely the cooling slots), muzzle brake (confirm?), no bipod fitted (although only some FAL variants had this), the L1a1 in British service later had a black synthetic stock fitted, and while the british stockwork generally stayed to the one style/pattern, there are a heap of varieties for the various FAL's out there. Also the L1a1 could be fitted with a Trilux SUIT optical sight by replacing the dust cover with one with a rail built into it, as well as early starlight night sights could be fitted, even the AN/PVS-4 could be i think.

Sorry i don't quite have the time for searches, etc. But i remember there being a lot of pics and info posted a while back, but i think they were all wiped with the forum crash. I'd think here would have a good bit of info and some pics, and a google ssearch couldn't hurt either.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Sorry i don't quite have the time for searches, etc. But i remember there being a lot of pics and info posted a while back, but i think they were all wiped with the forum crash. I'd think here would have a good bit of info and some pics, and a google ssearch couldn't hurt either.

Well, I wouldn't end up asking here if I hadn't already googled and searched at the most common gun-nut sites :D. While these provided a degree of information, I'd still would like to know more..

EGM<NL>E

Jul 14, 2005
enschede-netherlands
???

patrick type l1a1 rifle in search you will get a list, look for a fortunecity link number three from the top, there you will get detail pics of the l1a1 rifle by FN

there is also a good you tube video with explenations of the differences between the metric and the inch pattern guns. type l1a1 rifle in search again :D

Last edited:

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
patrick type l1a1 rifle in search you will get a list, look for a fortunecity link number three from the top, there you will get detail pics of the l1a1 rifle by FN

Uhm, I think you misinterpreted my above post. I'm NOT too stupid to use google or find the page (well, I assume it's this one, since it's on fortunecity and has L1A1 written on top) - the page causes my Internet Explorer to shut down after it's half-loaded. I think I'll try on my other rig this evening - it's running another internet explorer there.

EDIT: Tried it on my home rig now and it works - seems the rig I have available on weekends for internets has an too old version of IE on it - thanks for the link EGM, very good pictures, exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited: