Microsoft Exec Heaps Praise On PC Gaming

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Fans of every gaming platform (and those with vested interests in) like to toot their own horn and Microsoft's Games For Windows senior director Kevin Unangst (unsurprisingly) does just that in an interview with Gamasutra.

Gamasutra: Okay. I was talking to Nolan Bushnell a little while ago. I was asking him if he ever thought that there could only be a single format for games, and he said he's pretty sure it would be the PC that would be the de facto single format on which games are released in the distant future. What do you think about that?

KU: That's interesting. I have a lot of respect for Nolan. I hadn't heard that he'd said that, so that's an interesting view of the future. I think that we're uniquely in both the console business and the PC business, and I think there are certain instances where consumers like playing in their living room for some types of games. I like playing on the biggest screen in the house.

But I think we share the view that the PC will always be at the center of the innovation that is happening for gameplay -- new game types, new business models, new distribution models.

It's lead in the Internet, it's lead in the acceleration of graphics, and I don't see any reason to believe that the PC will change, and that trend will go away any time soon. It is at the forefront, and I believe it will continue to be at the forefront.

And who knows, in that vision of the future, everything may be called a PC, right? Everything's going to get more intelligent and more Internet-connected, and the investments that Microsoft's making in both of those worlds I think will allow us to bring better experiences to consumers, no matter where they come in. They start on the consoles? We're going to make sure that when they add a PC to the mix that that experience gets better, and vice versa.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Figures Microsoft would love a platform where you can control practically everything from when you can activate and play your game to how often your spy programs have to call home to make sure you're not suddenly a criminal. Why does this not surprise me?

Smood

Nov 29, 2003
Yah yah yah, just shut up and give us GTA4 PC Unangst you basket. Praising the PC is energy that could have went to talking into rockstar/take2's ear for GTA4 PC.

Last edited:

StreetPreacher

Mar 10, 2001
I'll gladly give up PC gaming (for the expense, the bugginess, the pain in the ass doing matchmaking and hosting with firewalls etc.) when they finally develop an FPS control that doesn't absolutely suck on a console. Wiggling two tiny nubs is no way to play a shooter.

I even bought a 360 just b/c I wanted to try Gears, but never got more than 1/3 of the way through it b/c I just can't stand the controls. Great for racing and platformers, terrible for shooters.

Brits_Hit

Flak Monkey
Aug 1, 2003
Toronto, Canada
dynamic5.gamespy.com
I'll gladly give up PC gaming (for the expense, the bugginess, the pain in the ass doing matchmaking and hosting with firewalls etc.) when they finally develop an FPS control that doesn't absolutely suck on a console. Wiggling two tiny nubs is no way to play a shooter.

I even bought a 360 just b/c I wanted to try Gears, but never got more than 1/3 of the way through it b/c I just can't stand the controls. Great for racing and platformers, terrible for shooters.

Yep I got a 360 so I could play GTA4 and the controller really detracts from the experience. I can't stand navigating or aiming with a controller. In short, it sucks balls.

There is hope though, check this out (360 keyboard and mouse): http://warishellgaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21351

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
wow, keyboard/mouse for the 360 might just mean i won't suck at aiming in console fps anymore :eek: :lol:

i played halo 2 on live for the first time _ever_ yesterday and man... i really suck at it. i mean, i always came out last with something like 4 frags while the winner had 25. that was kind of frustrating :(

Last edited:

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
If Microsoft brought mouse and keyboard to the 360 I can hear all the console people complaining and the inevitable CONTROLLER ONLY!! servers.:lol:

I'm still scratching my head as to why M$ hasn't put out their own (with 360 logo that is the only keyboard and mouse config that works) out on 360 yet. They're totally into the money thing so you would think heres a chance to bring over some PC gamers and make money in the process. ????????

As far as PC being at the forefront I agree but developers more interested in making money then fans (thats just the way I see them) jumping ship and going to console will slow progress down on the platform. But in the long run PC will win. I think that 360 and PS3 gamers who haven't been exposed to high resolution gaming that PC gamers have been enjoying for a decade or so were just shocked when they saw something running above 640X480 and once that demographic gets used to it they will look for the next jump in graphics. I think there are a lot of people out there who have only been exposed to consoles discovering PC and once you go to PC most of us choose that as our preffered platform. Thats my experience.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
should I read "PC" as "MS Windows PC"?

Microsoft do, do a Mac version of office I think. Im willing to bet thats about right, otherwise there would be linux and mac versions of live games...

Then again microsoft is trying to get in bed with open source so it could be possible for the future. I think it would be a good thing personally because perhaps the fact most games are windows based is hurting the industry.

People can complain about piracy or intel intergrated all they want but no one has even considered opening up the whole PC market. More people that can play games would probably mean more people playing games, but oh well, its about control hey?

In 2006, then-Microsoft VP Peter Moore declared that the company had "neglected the PC business" in the wake of its Xbox focus.

If that wasnt obvious anyways... duh

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008

It's rather scary :p

Kevin Unangst: "And who knows, in that vision of the future, everything may be called a PC, right?" :eek:
Random PC-gamer: "Wrong. Absolutely wrong." :mad:

On the other hand I'd love to call my toilet a "PC" as well! All hail the revolution... :mwink:

(thats just the way I see them)

Your eyes work just fine. ;)

If Microsoft can pick themselves up to a level that a gamer like me can respect them, I'll probably also throw myself naked, coated in ham glaze, off a cliff into a herd of rabid wolverines who are high on angel dust.

Microsoft <-----------(the bloody universe)-----------------------> PC Gaming

Then again microsoft is trying to get in bed with open source so it could be possible for the future. I think it would be a good thing personally because perhaps the fact most games are windows based is hurting the industry.

Well said

another aspect is that by releasing the API's to their core and dx they hope to unlock the market in china which in turn would mean big money.

Smood

Nov 29, 2003
Yeah cause MS hard out has anything to do with GTA4

Do you have trouble reading or comprehending?

"that could have went to talking into rockstar/take2's ear for GTA4 PC."

Get it? No?!

MICROSOFT STARTED SOMETHING CALLED GAMES FOR WINDOWS AND THUS HAVE SOME POWER IN ASKING DEVELOPERS TO MAKE GAMES FOR THEIR PLATFORM.

sigh.