Intel or nVidia? (Motherboard Upgrade)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
All I can say is that Asus makes great boards, generally at the top of the spectrum in terms of performance and reliability.

Through my research, I've found the general consensus to be that Intels chipsets are in fact better than Nvidias. Cooler running which equates to better overclocking if you're into that sort of thing, and just better reliability in general. Though I've never really had any issues with my old Nvidia based board (Asus A8N32-SLI). My new Intel X38 board (Asus P5E) has been rock stable as well. The only benefit you get with Nvidia boards is SLI support.

Last edited:

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
i would choose neither of them , a X38-DS4 would be more than enough ( and use the rest of the money for a proper air-cooling ).. overclocking with a x48 is the same as with a x38 , not much difference between them ( except the prices :p )

DFI boards have also very good reputation ;)

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
i dont know how the zalman installs on board , but if you need to put a back plate on the back of the motherboard , you will have problems with the cooling of some gigabyte boards :

Crazy-Cool,3-A-5302-1.jpg

if the DQ6 is cheaper , then take this one , its the high end version of the DS5 ;)