Click Click Click Click Click (URGENT)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Munchables

Flying Nuns!!!
Jan 31, 2008
All good supermarkets near you
I need help on this ASAP, my computers making some kind of clicking noise, its constant, soon after I turn it on, and every time it happens, the thing crashes and a blue screen pops up, some kind of hardware problem. Also I have this light thingy thats flashes red a blue, it's suddenly stopped flashing blue now, and it's all red. I'd appreciate any help, I need some advice before my computer is completely ****ed.

I opened it up, and the noise seems to come from the hard drive, and its way hotter than usual.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Clicking sounds like fans indeed. Take a vacuum cleaner, clean everything from dust inside your case, and make sure nothing interferes with any coolers.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Hmm... the last time I had clicking sounds coming from my PC was just before my HD packed up. :(
Doesn't sound good.

Munchables

Flying Nuns!!!
Jan 31, 2008
All good supermarkets near you
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I had to reformat the thing because of this!!! Now I'm pissed. How much should a nice new HDD cost?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah, but it's probably something like a cheap, **** Samsung that's going to go corrupt on your arse. Do research, buy brand names with good reviews. It'll do you a favour in the long run.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Nowt wrong with Samsungs :p. Nothing wrong with Seagate, WD, Hitachi or Maxtor (being rebranded Seagates anyway) either :).

Samsungs have a tendency to corrupt very easily. Dell as an example, love shoving them out because they're cheap. I've seen two fail at work. The results are more expensive than buying a decent drive in the first place.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Yeah, your hard drive is on the way out. If you live in the USA, Newegg.com is selling 750 GB SATA drives for about $130.

If you're using IDE, you'll probably have to pay a bit more for smaller capacity.

If you're UK or EU, best of luck finding something. :p

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Samsungs have a tendency to corrupt very easily. Dell as an example, love shoving them out because they're cheap. I've seen two fail at work. The results are more expensive than buying a decent drive in the first place.
Not heard of many problems myself... what kind of age are we taking? I'm well aware of the issues with the old Maxtors, and cringe when I think about IBM DeathStars, but I was under the impression that the big manufacturers had sorted their reliability issues these days.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
ALL harddrives are unstable.

afr_age.png

By 3 years you have a 25% fail rate.

That study was done by Google based on 100,000 harddrives from 5400RPM up to 7200RPM they had on all their servers over the last several years.

It gets so bad now that harddrives rely on ECC... many consumer-grade harddrives make several hundred errors in... I think it's a minute.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Nowt wrong with Samsungs :p. Nothing wrong with Seagate, WD, Hitachi or Maxtor (being rebranded Seagates anyway) either :).
You couldn't pay me to use a WD
Maxtors(pre-Seagate) were king shiz tho. Trying to remember where my old 40GB went. It lived for around 7 years without a single error/crash/etc

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
You couldn't pay me to use a WD

:confused:

I've had the same WD hard drive for 5 years now, and still going strong.

...and it's 80 GB and my only drive. I don't know why you guys need something like 750 GB unless you're downloading a whole lot of p0rn.

On topic...

Munchables - Hard drives are relatively cheap, and one brand is as good as another and as likely to fail as another. If I were you, I'd take the size of your current drive, multiply it by 1.5. So, if you had an 80 GB drive, I'd look for a 120 GB drive or close to it. Then I'd go to sites like newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com and research their drives in that size. You should be able to narrow it down to a handful of drives, and then you can read the reviews on those sites and pick which one you're most comfortable with.

Last edited: