PDA

View Full Version : UT3 DM-LTC_Olden (Pics, PC and PS3) Beta 1

LtClifff
20th Apr 2008, 09:58 AM
Name: DM-LTC_Olden
Version: 0.4
Compatibility: PC, PS3

Description: Once a mighty fortress, this beautiful and ancient ruin has become a battlefield for the tournament. War is once again waged in this crumbling keep of old.

Comments: My Fourth map overall and definately (well in my opinion) best looking. The layout is from an old ps2/gamecube/xbox game called James Bond Agent Under fire and it was always my favourite MP level. It was like this set in a castle but unlike this it was not overgrown or crumbling. The map is set at sunset and is very detailed. I am constantly working on the graphics so my main concern is gameplay. Feel free to go into the editor and try different weapon layouts. If you come up with a good one I may use it, and your name will go in the credits!

Screenshot:
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=MyMap4Pic.jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=MyMap4Pic(1).jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=MyMap4Pic(2).jpg

Credits: Me, EA games, Epic
Homepage: NA

Download:
PC: http://files.filefront.com/DM+LTC+Oldenzip/;10115101;/fileinfo.html
PS3: http://files.filefront.com/DM+LTC+OldenPS3zip/;10115100;/fileinfo.html

Enjoy!!!

Mclogenog
20th Apr 2008, 01:19 PM
Wow. This is by far my favorite map from Agent Under Fire, and the remake is good aswell, in fact, I would call it better than the original (if you had the grappling hook).

So far what I have noticed that needs to be fixed:
1. The flags and banners need some motion, I'm not sure how you would though. I'm pretty sure that making them interp actors and then working in Matinee would work. Though I think adding a wind direction actor might have the affect I'm looking for.

2. Some of the rock pillars have edges that give away there hollow structure, so make sure to check them out.

3. You might want to replace the shield belt with the berserk, because a smart player could camp up there for a long amount of time with a respawning shield belt next to them. With a berserk powerup they are more noticeable (more glowing projectiles coming down faster), and they aren't fueled by an almost infinite health powerup.

4. Add som blocking volumes along the walls where the rocks are coming through. It looks marvelous and I'm glad that the player doesn't get caught up on them, but being able to see through them when you walk into them is a bit outlandish.

5. There is a trim intersection error "flashie" opposite the courtyard of the flack cannon (I think), if it isn't there then just look around, it is fairly noticeable.

Thank you for the good work, it is an excellent remake of an excellent map.

LtClifff
20th Apr 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks :D I knew I could rely on you when I posted this thread. I'm glad you like it :D I agree that the grappling hook would be awesome. Someone should make it!

1. I will try to figure out how to Add a wind effect (remember I am still a noob mapper)

2.okaydokey will fix

3.I'll look into it definately, U-damage would work as well.

4. has been mentioned already so will definately work on that.

5. Will go on a flashy wall hunt :D

Keep playing (and helping lol)

Grogan
21st Apr 2008, 12:30 AM
I'm not familiar with the game that inspired it, but I like this map for a nice little instagib arena. I found myself playing "peekaboo" with the bots around some of those thin trapezoidal shaped pillars heheh

I mostly play insta, so that kind of negates my opinion on weapon pickup placements and the like. None the less, when I first get a map I try it as normal deathmatch, with default settings to explore it as intended. The only thing I didn't like was no health powerups or vials (though they aren't completely necessary because of the shields)

LtClifff
21st Apr 2008, 04:33 AM
Thanks grogan I'm glad your enjoying it. A new beta will be up shortly. :D

LtClifff
21st Apr 2008, 08:35 AM
When I alter first post it will be new downlaod will be ready.
Beta 2 changelog:

Scattered small rocks and bricks
altered collision for vegatation
Improved Bot PAthing
swapped sheildbelt for berserk
added healthvials around the map
Collision for rocks jutting out of walls
added wooden planks scattered on floor and used some to cross gaps
fixed flashies
think I fixed see through wall thingy
more decoration generaly

enjoy the new beta

ps: no new pics sorry

alien8
21st Apr 2008, 11:10 PM
Just downloaded and will test later on tonight. I do have one thing I'd like to see already without playing it yet. I wish more people would name their readme.txt files to have the map's name in them. For example, instead of just "readme.txt" I'd like to see "Readme-DM-LTC_Olden-Beta1.txt" or similar.

That way nothing ever gets overwritten in the CustomMaps directory.

Edit:

Just played a 50 kill deathmatch with some bots. Having never played the original this was based off of I don't have much of a basis of comparison, but I probably won't play too much more of it. It's not really my style of DM map, I guess. I don't think there's anything architecturally 'wrong', it's just not for me. I can see how it would make for an intense instagib session, though.

It would be cool, though, if you made the hanging chains Karma actors. Having them bounce and sway after being hit by stray flak shards would help the immersion factor. Whether or not that's possible, though, I don't know.

LtClifff
22nd Apr 2008, 06:18 AM
Oh... Im sorry that it is not your kind of DM. I will try to make the chains sway though I dont know how. I hope you enjoy any other maps I make more.

Grogan
22nd Apr 2008, 02:22 PM
I played beta 2 several times last night... definitely improved. Especially visually.

alien8
22nd Apr 2008, 09:08 PM
Oh... Im sorry that it is not your kind of DM. I will try to make the chains sway though I dont know how. I hope you enjoy any other maps I make more.

Hey, don't feel bad - Shipment is in my regular map rotation. I love it!

Mclogenog
22nd Apr 2008, 10:44 PM
Man, every time I download "Beta 2" I keep getting the same one as before. Are you sure the links are right?

LtClifff
23rd Apr 2008, 05:19 AM
Man, every time I download "Beta 2" I keep getting the same one as before. Are you sure the links are right?

Have you tried playing it yet? I don't name the actual maps or their zip files as beta. try having a match as I think it will be the right version. Will change name next time lol

Grogan: Im glad you think it looks better. The next version will also have visual updates (of course) and I have found some new ways of optimizing as well. Looks better and plays more smoothly now.

Alien8: Im glad you enjoy shipment, hopefully my next map will be more to your taste.

EDIT: =I will upload again as I think I may have made a mistake.

LtClifff
23rd Apr 2008, 06:16 AM
Okay I have Updated to Beta 3 as I made a msitake witht the beta 2 downlaod. anyway here Is the changelog:

BETA3: Lots of Optimisations
generally cleaned up the map a bit
a few more small details
a couple of bug fixes
fixed a couple of flashies

BETA2: Scattered small rocks and bricks
altered collision for vegatation
Improved Bot PAthing
swapped sheildbelt for berserk
added healthvials around the map
Collision for rocks jutting out of walls
added wooden planks scattered on floor and used some to cross gaps
fixed flashies
think I fixed see through wall thingy
more decoration generaly

Mclogenog
25th Apr 2008, 07:27 PM
That one loaded. Nice.
Firstly I didn't notice the substancial visual improvements made beyond a few details and fixes.

There are still some "flashies" on the walkway trim

Players can still be caught up by objects.

Very fun in low gravity (though with a careful wall jump the gravity boots aren't necesary to access the berserk). Also, I enjoyed the berserk, but it can be a "false prize" if you don't have any good weapon in hand. Still, keep the berserk (in my opinon.

LtClifff
26th Apr 2008, 08:16 AM
I didn't say there are any big improvements on visuals only a bit more decoration.

Ok I will have a look at flashies.

what do players get caught on?

glad the berserk fits!

If there is anything else you think could be improved please say :D

Mclogenog
26th Apr 2008, 02:14 PM
well when I mean that you can get caught up, I particularly am refering to the wooden boards along the walls, they are wonderfull decorations, but they need a blocking volume over them.

LtClifff
27th Apr 2008, 04:05 AM
Ok will have a look for wooden Boards which you can get caught on!

LtClifff
27th Apr 2008, 09:24 AM
After playing your amp I noticed lots of good ideas that i could impelemt into this, and a lot more of my own. A new beta will be up soon (ish)

virgo47
27th Apr 2008, 07:41 PM
I played the map - a bit arenish for my taste but never mind. I'd turn off collisions for many objects that cause player get stuck here and there. Trims on column corners in the first place. Then there are some places where you get stuck if you go up the stairs along the wall and hit the trim at the top of them (on the ground). Try crazily move on the map and try to eliminate any place where you get stuck just for a while, it breaks the flow really.

I don't like dual link setup, link really dominates the map now. Also double vest looks strange. Finally I wasn't sure if it's just me but I felt like vials and other objects just shine too much. And not, it's not just me... it's the map. It really hurts eyes and other maps are much more normal in this matter. Also as vials rotates they blinks when the emission is blocked for a while. That all distracts me visually. I don't know what you can do about it without messing other visuals.

LtClifff
28th Apr 2008, 11:43 AM
Ok thank you for your opinion, all is welcome. I have started work on making the collision less annoying so any help is appreciated.

I will look into the layout and poke around a bit their to see if I can produce something better.

I will reduce the bloom a bit, the only reason that was high was to give the lamps a shiny feeling. If I have to chose between that and hurts eyes then it will go.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is aprreciated.

LtClifff
30th Apr 2008, 04:41 PM
I have a new beta ready, if there is anything you think I should add then say so before it is released. :D

Mclogenog
30th Apr 2008, 07:55 PM
1. Flashy trim behind the body armor, this is just below the sun light beans through the slits in the wall. The pathway just in front of this one and slightly below also has a flashing trim.

2. Turn all collision off of debris on the floor.

3. There are several spawn points near the jump boots, with no weapon pickup for some distance, I'm not sure what I would do here, but I spawned and died shortly afterwards repeatedly.

4. This is the pillar problem I was refering to, it happens in more than one of the corners.
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=385

5. Bloom may be a little too heavy.

6. Ambient background could use a little more balance, currently it is too "in your face".

7. Wall blocking volumes are still needed.

No blatant flaws as it is, keep up the progress.

LtClifff
1st May 2008, 01:06 PM
Great thanks!!!

1. I think i have swatted most of the flashies, will hunt a bit more though.

2. have done (mostly)

3. will have a look at it.

4. found and changed :D

5. altered bloom alot

6. I assume you are talking about sounds. If so then I will have a play in game, the editor sounds fine.

7.wall blocking volumes hvae been made!

Thanks you for all of the help you have given with the map so far, it is very aprecciated. the new beta will be up later.

LtClifff
1st May 2008, 03:48 PM
Ok!!! Now updated to beta 4! Changes include:

A few small details
reduced bloom
different layout with weapons
added defence points
moved some playerstarts
added blocking volumes
changed collision for some stuff
altered existing blocking volumes

ENJOY!!!

LtClifff
7th May 2008, 11:01 AM
Does anyone have any qualms about the map? even the most teeny weeny tiny winy problem? I really want this to be 100 percent!

Also! Has anyone tried beta 4 yet? it includes some pretty major cahnges to layout.

Grogan
7th May 2008, 01:12 PM
Yep, I tried beta 4 on Monday night and it seemed good to me. No complaints here. I only played it twice though. I haven't been spending much time in Windows this past few weeks.

Well, if you want teeny weeny tiny whiney comments, I've always thought from the very start that the colours look a bit faded in this map. However, being unfamiliar with the original game it's inspired from, I didn't want to say anything. (and it doesn't matter... it still looks nice)

LtClifff
7th May 2008, 03:28 PM
Yep, I tried beta 4 on Monday night and it seemed good to me. No complaints here. I only played it twice though. I haven't been spending much time in Windows this past few weeks.

Well, if you want teeny weeny tiny whiney comments, I've always thought from the very start that the colours look a bit faded in this map. However, being unfamiliar with the original game it's inspired from, I didn't want to say anything. (and it doesn't matter... it still looks nice)

Actually... your right about the colours looking faded :rolleyes: At the moment i am using scene desaturation. I will lower it a bit, but it helps meld different textures which is why i used it.

Glad you enjoy the map :D

keep playing:D

Zennex
8th May 2008, 02:11 AM
Wow. This is by far my favorite map from Agent Under Fire, and the remake is good aswell, in fact, I would call it better than the original (if you had the grappling hook).

So far what I have noticed that needs to be fixed:
1. The flags and banners need some motion, I'm not sure how you would though. I'm pretty sure that making them interp actors and then working in Matinee would work. Though I think adding a wind direction actor might have the affect I'm looking for.

2. Some of the rock pillars have edges that give away there hollow structure, so make sure to check them out.

3. You might want to replace the shield belt with the berserk, because a smart player could camp up there for a long amount of time with a respawning shield belt next to them. With a berserk powerup they are more noticeable (more glowing projectiles coming down faster), and they aren't fueled by an almost infinite health powerup.

4. Add som blocking volumes along the walls where the rocks are coming through. It looks marvelous and I'm glad that the player doesn't get caught up on them, but being able to see through them when you walk into them is a bit outlandish.

5. There is a trim intersection error "flashie" opposite the courtyard of the flack cannon (I think), if it isn't there then just look around, it is fairly noticeable.

Thank you for the good work, it is an excellent remake of an excellent map.
That hook was obscene.

LtClifff
8th May 2008, 11:12 AM
ok.... glad you like the map? lol :D

LtClifff
15th May 2008, 11:27 AM
if no one has anything they think i could add i will go ahead and make this rc1.