UE2 - UT2kX physics/velocity and trigger questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BluePaladin

Jan 20, 2008
I was in the mood to make another map and came up with an idea (im prob not the first so not trying to claim it ;-)) of doing an oversized deathmatch map that takes place inside a pinball machine.

my questions pertain to making the "bumpers" and "flippers" work in terms of launching a player. I would like to create a bumper that, when hit from different angles (say the basic 8 way directions), the player bounces off the bumpers hard (like a pinball).

I have a good deal of knowledge of the editor in terms of basic design, using the tools, etc...ive just never worked with the physics or acceleration features. Any ideas on where to start to research this (for a 2k4 map) or additional ideas of fun things to add to the map? thanks gang!

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
Dont have a link but Im sure Hall of Giants (CTF IIRC) uses "boost tubes" to fire you up the field.. looking how they are setup might help.

BluePaladin

Jan 20, 2008
i checked those boost tubes out astoroth...you can travel pretty darn far with them and one trans on a low grav map like that lol.

the only problem im running into is that you cant "go against the flow" as it were and only start the velocity from something like a "trigger point". Thus, walking into the path of it would cause you to follow the direction of the physics volume.

ah well...i started building the level but wasnt too happy with it from the get go, so i may have to add it to the (albei small) maps started that i dont really have the motivation to finish. thanks though!

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
You could subclass the physics volume and make it a moving volume... then add a proximity trigger to make it "rise" up to table level, fire you backwards then sink again.. not sure if it would work but its a workaround worth have a shot at. If you search on here for Moving Volumes Im pretty sure theres a link or tutorial for it.