PDA

View Full Version : UT3 CTF-Safeguard 2 - Download Available

Bazzwano
6th Apr 2008, 10:24 PM
PC-DOWNLOAD (http://www.mediafire.com/?9gqbtq1tnmx)
PS3-DOWNLOAD (http://files.filefront.com/safeguardV2PS3rar/;10170647;/fileinfo.html)
Thanks again Anuban for the cook

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone, I've made allot of changes to my map since last release because I just love working on it and making it better, I wasn't going to release it, but I've changed quite a bit to make it better. the changes are quite small though and prob only interest those who want better visuals with it.

some of the changes include

I've done quite a bit and am so happy with it now. So there you go guys. Hopefully this gets updated on the servers too.

Added meshes to the shield belt room ceiling.
Changed meshes used on the belt room windows
Changed the Post processing volume to increase contrast from bright and dark areas
Increased brightness of some lights
Reduced the blue effect of the fog.
Increased brightness of alarm lights
changed position of the flak cannon
Removed the window from the flag room to the main hall stairs
Added timer to the alarm so it will not continuously sound
Added Udamage
Added meshes and changed textures around the centre health
changed stair case by flak cannon
Re-meshed area under team logo at the main entrance
Removed bright lights that did not have light source
Added a few meshes here and there
Added texture path by rocket and stinger
Changed textures/meshes used rarely to a frequently used texture/mesh
Fixed being able to fire though one of the entrance windows
Updated UI images
Fixed some red lights in blue base to blue
Re arranged the meshes used by the team coloured grilled doors by the flak cannon.
Added cull distance volume to make performance even better
Added mesh to left curved entrance floor
Added A mega structure to the background to act as the supports that hold the map high in the air
Changes the fog so that it does not black out the view when viewing the horizon
Added cull distance to allot of the buildings

A Level for UT3

-----------------------------------------------------
General Info

Title: CTF-SafeGuard

Filename: CTF-SafeGuard_V1_2.zip

Author: Bryan Sparksman

EMail Address: sparky_1309@hotmail.com (sparky_1309@hotmail.com)

Release Date: 2th Mar 08

Version: 2.0

Credits:

The content of this level was taken all from the retail version of UT3, I did modify some materials, but a big thanks to EPIC for putting their content into well sort out groups, I would not have been able to do this if it was not for this level of organization.

Thanks to "Larathiel eMail" who created this map for UT1, this map was great, and was simple enough to be the very first map I have made.

Installation

Unzip CTF-SafeGuard.zip

Move all files into C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

If the directory does not exist, create it manually.

Type "open CTF- SafeGuard" in the console, or select the level in a multiplayer/instant action game.

If you find you are seeing low detail meshes when you play. This is not a problem with my map rather a problem with your game setup. I have managed to fix this for myself.
What I suggest you do, is uninstall, reinstall, patch, and then create the custom maps folder. Next time you play the map, all should look good!

Copyright / Permissions

This level is copyright 2008, by Bryan Sparksman.

Authors MAY NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels without explicit permission from the original author.

ANY bug fixes, fixes, changes, and tweaks may only be implemented by the author. No other person or party is allowed to release a modified version of this map without the author's permission. Please Email me regarding any changes you require.

You MAY NOT charge any money for this map or any of its embedded content.

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic media (internet (web/ftp), FIDO, local BBS, Magazine cover disk etc.), provided you include this file.

All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4919/screenshot00024pq5.png
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8270/screenshot00025aa5.png
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/3603/screenshot00012yt9.png
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6421/screenshot00016cq0.png
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1300/screenshot00048le9.png
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6563/screenshot00047ty6.png
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/9521/screenshot00023qh8.png

Mr. UglyPants
6th Apr 2008, 10:33 PM
Lovely improvements.

Great job Bazz.

Bazzwano
6th Apr 2008, 10:48 PM
thanks, Im just going to play test it with the U damage, and maybe make a few more changes because I want it to be perfect when I submit it in the make something unreal contest.

haarg
6th Apr 2008, 11:01 PM
Does it still have the alarm when the flag is off the base? If so, I'd recommend removing that entirely.

Bazzwano
7th Apr 2008, 05:54 AM
thats a bit negative, there are other options, some people just so happen to like it, so if i get rid of it entirely then those who liked it would be disappointed. I could reduce the radius to the flag room, or reduce the volume? maybe implement a timer so it would time out after a min

LtClifff
7th Apr 2008, 06:42 AM
I think it would be pretty noisy if the alarm went off for both flags. Maybe restrict it so only the team whos flag has been stolen hears the alarm. I do not know if that is possible though.

Bazzwano
7th Apr 2008, 06:58 AM
yeah i don't think i could restrict the sound like that

Trat
7th Apr 2008, 07:33 AM
Ow, looks nice indeed. I played the original pretty often. Hope you make a PS3 cook when its final.

hal
7th Apr 2008, 02:46 PM
We played it at FragBU last weekend and everyone loved the map. Pretty much everyone there mentioned that they didn't like the alarms. I (mistakenly) thought that I saw you were removing those from this version.

I think it's a great conversion of a really fun map and find the alarms a little annoying but not a deal-breaker. I'm just curious what prompted you to put them in?

Agent_5
7th Apr 2008, 06:30 PM
I could reduce the radius to the flag room, or reduce the volume? maybe implement a timer so it would time out after a min
I'd at least suggest a timer. I vaguely recall other maps in the ut series having alarms when the flag was picked up but they cut out after 3 seconds or so. Having the alarm constantly blare at you during a heated match gets a bit annoying.

Jrubzjeknf
7th Apr 2008, 06:38 PM
Timer, definitely. Put it at 3 seconds. :p You don't want the alarm to cover the EFC's tracks by making the defending team deaf either.

Bazzwano
7th Apr 2008, 06:45 PM
Ow, looks nice indeed. I played the original pretty often. Hope you make a PS3 cook when its final.
Hmmm I actully dont know how to cook for Ps3, the version 1.2 has been Ps3 cooked but unless someone does so with this version, I probably will not.

Hmmm of cause I welcome everyone's comments, I shell try implement a timer say 3 secs, if I cant get it to work ill remove it

We played it at FragBU last weekend and everyone loved the map.
I think it's a great conversion of a really fun map and find the alarms a little annoying but not a deal-breaker. I'm just curious what prompted you to put them in?

Thanks hal that means allot, its good to hear its getting around frag BU, if i had Internet in my game PC i would join in :(
I put them in because sometimes I would spawn and not realise the enemy has the flag, I guess its just me, but the flag taken Icon just does not stick out to me enought, I thought the alarm was a good reminder. O well the people have spoken, so I shall Listen.

Something really Important I want peoples opinion about is weather or not to replace the original version, as some servers obviously host it now, I don't want incompatibility, should I call it CTF-Safeguard 2 or overwrite?

Mr. UglyPants
7th Apr 2008, 08:15 PM
I love the alarm since no other map has it, CTF-SearchLight has the light that fallows the flag carrier but thats about it.

It makes Safeguard (should i say 2) unique.

Bazzwano
7th Apr 2008, 08:47 PM
I love the alarm since no other map has it, CTF-SearchLight has the light that fallows the flag carrier but thats about it.

It makes Safeguard (should i say 2) unique.
yeh thats what I thought to, you must be the only one other then myself who likes the idea

dura1198
10th Apr 2008, 12:01 PM
Hmmm I actully dont know how to cook for Ps3, the version 1.2 has been Ps3 cooked but unless someone does so with this version, I probably will not.[/I][/B]

I used the following tutorial for 2 maps that I created and it seemed to work well. Quick and easy...

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25226173

Anuban
11th Apr 2008, 10:27 PM
Is there a link for this level yet? Also I will be happy to cook this for you again man if you would like. Just pm me a link to the unpublished file as before. I really like this version with all these new additions/changes. Looking forward to it.

Bazzwano
12th Apr 2008, 06:48 AM
Kool thanks, man, yeh I just cant stop working on it, I've made even more changes, Like added a liquid tank at the entrance at the end of both walk ways. updated images to show this. Also added an image the shows the subtraction in the ceiling meshed up for the Udamage in the centre over the health

[VaLkyR]Anubis
12th Apr 2008, 12:44 PM
This map looks very good and seem to be balanced.:):tup:

Anuban
12th Apr 2008, 03:22 PM
Kool thanks, man, yeh I just cant stop working on it, I've made even more changes, Like added a liquid tank at the entrance at the end of both walk ways. updated images to show this. Also added an image the shows the subtraction in the ceiling meshed up for the Udamage in the centre over the health

Well as long as the frame rate is not negatively impacted then you should do what you want ... just don't get too crazy. ;)

Bazzwano
12th Apr 2008, 05:52 PM
woops I quoted my original post... umm what should I say here.. um in regards to performance its as good as it has always been, and dont worry Anuban, I dont test it on my sig machine haha, I have a lower grade PC, it still seems to do better then the retail maps

Bazzwano
10th May 2008, 10:39 PM
PS3 version cooked and available: Thanks Anuban
http://files.filefront.com/safeguardV2PS3rar/;10170647;/fileinfo.html

sneh
11th May 2008, 09:47 AM
well done on the map, nice work on the detail and optimizations.
:2thumb:

Any chance of adding a minimap? No big deal but I was a bit lost at first..

hal
11th May 2008, 10:00 AM
The Whole map is not unlike the Roman numeral II with the flag stands at the top and bottom of the two. It's really pretty simple if you do a quick fly through and try to understand the basic shape.

Bazzwano
30th May 2008, 02:32 AM
Not ready to make a new thread for this, so i thought Id show those who have been following this thread some screens of my next remake Dreary. Theres alot more to show but ill save that for later
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9441/screenshot00005bu7.png
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4441/screenshot00007cc6.png

Kantham
30th May 2008, 02:38 AM
Looks great. I don't remember getting across those meshes in the second shot. You made them?

Hyrage
30th May 2008, 02:41 AM
It looks great, keep up the awesome work! :D

Bazzwano
30th May 2008, 02:52 AM
Looks great. I don't remember getting across those meshes in the second shot. You made them?

Thanks, do you mean the ones across the wall with the beams then coming down from them? what ever you mean, no I didn't make then all meshes from the game, but those ones were in a odd package.

or are u referring to what you see at the base of the supports,those areacctully made up of like 15 meshes

Sjosz
30th May 2008, 04:21 AM
That is not bad looking.

hal
30th May 2008, 08:49 AM
Dreary? Oh sweet! I can't wait.

Anuban
30th May 2008, 02:47 PM
great looking ... but that is not surprising considering the level designer.

JohnDoe641
31st May 2008, 01:26 AM
After playing safeguard2 on the fragbu server I've just got to say that it's so infested with meshes that you can't even move properly, especially in the middle corridors. If the meshes were gone I'd say that it could possibly be a good map, but for now I think it's crap for gameplay.

haarg
31st May 2008, 01:29 AM
I have to agree with JD. It is technically impressive, but the gameplay suffers due to the tight corridors with excessive meshes.

Bazzwano
31st May 2008, 03:57 AM
that so so wrong, the collision for the meshes has been turned off and a simple collision brush as been applied over the top, so the walls are no more of an obstacle then a map would be from Ut1, the collision pass almost makes them FLAT, with a triangular shaped collision brush around the supports.. you don't know what your talking about. this is a remake, and I made the corridors small to bring back the UT1 feel and remove the massive rooms created by Ut2004 which sucked.

And here's so images to show you guys that if ur getting stuck on anything, or having trouble navigating, wow, threre's not allot there to get caught on as it would appear graphicly

If you think my maps suck so much, dont play them, maybe if everyone agrees, ill just stop mapping right now

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4312/screenshot00004la5.png
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8743/screenshot00008mu9.png
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/264/screenshot00009lw8.png

Slainchild
31st May 2008, 08:54 AM
If you think my maps suck so much, dont play them, maybe if everyone agrees, ill just stop mapping right now

Don't take is so personally man, they're just highlighting some problems they have with it, it's not the end of the world. I think what they really mean is that there is a lot unnecessary structural geometry sticking out into the floorspace that makes the corridors less straightforward to navigate, since you have to make sure you don't get caught up between pillars and stuff. Making an overall thinner path you need to stick to.

Personally I try to keep structural stuff flush, or as close to the walls as possible so I can put a big flat blocking volume over the whole thing. :tup:

Sjosz
31st May 2008, 09:17 AM
Stop the drama, Bazzwano. These guys have valid arguments that they openly tell you and they don't nuance what they say so that you won't feel offended. I find the middle corridors in Safeguard to be too restricting, especially compared to the original's. Freedom of movement is a large part of this game and restricting players by making corridors less wide with decoration (which you did a good job rounding off collision for) is something that can influence gameplay in a negative way.

Surely you post your levels so that you can get honest critique to improve yourself?

Anuban
31st May 2008, 01:04 PM
Bazz just remember that the majority of people who have this level think it is the best CTF level for UT3 to date. You should know by now that you can't please everyone and there will be always be people that don't appreciate or like a level. You can't let that bother you. Even guys like Hourences, SC, DGUnreal, etc. don't please everyone. People have different tastes. Its something that an artist has to learn to live with. Personally I think the map has a great mix of CQC and open space where AOE can come into play. I think the CQC nature makes it a more difficult level and that is cool in my book. But of course UT2Kx has really changed the way a lot of folks play CTF in UT games. Keep that in mind as well.

haarg
31st May 2008, 01:55 PM
I wasn't trying to be negative with my comments; I posted that primarily as something you should keep in mind for future maps. The corridors in this map are all somewhat small by UT3's standards, and the added geometry makes that more problematic. Keeping your walls flat like sc said would go a long way to helping that.

Bazzwano
31st May 2008, 10:14 PM
you all make valid comments, i would say the most valid of them all was stated that the original did have a wider centre corridor, looking back I probably would make this wider. I can understand where everyone is coming from with the supports that I have in the centre corridor, they probably do stick out allot considering that the hallway is already narrow.

As Anuban stated tho, some people like this and some don't, I like it and I feel it makes the flag rounds harder and more challenging as other sites have also stated.

Id just prefer if those who did disagree didn't state that its "crap" because I do take offence to that, I think you can appreciate this took me allot of time and it makes me feel like ive wasted my time to know that's what you think. I dont mind comments from those who dont like it and suggest improvements, but I didnt find your comment constructive.

Ive made changes to this map that the community didnt like, such as the constant sound of the alarm, I had allot of comments about people not liking that, but they suggested alternatives, they were constructive with there comments, they didnt just say they hated it because of "this", but I don't think its too tight. Im aware that Ut maps have gotten wider since Ut2003, but I made this to be closer to the Ut1 scale. Ut1 maps are classic and you just cannot get better then that.

I don't feel I have to justify to those who don't like it why I did it the way i did

JoneDoe: your initial comment did seem a bit unnecessary to say its crap, I put allot of time into my maps and i think people put there hearts into this sort of thing. but i understand what your saying, I will keep it in mind, but I am making Ut1 remakes, I am increasing the room size as i did with safegaurd, but im not going to go crazy with size like Ut2004 did, those maps were ****.

The problem I have with your comment is that someone who could have very much liked the map, may see you comments and decide not to give it a go.

Anyway, Iv recieved your comment, thanks, Id like to leave it at that.

hal
31st May 2008, 11:03 PM
Actually, that was JohnDoe that made the "crap" comment, not Haarg - unless he edited it or something. Don't mind JD so much as he's not one to sugar coat anything and may come off as abrasive unless you know him. :D

For some perspective, both JD and Haarg are involved in one of the more active UT3 CTF clans and are both veterans of the gametype. I just play for fun and don't mind some of the tight corridors so much, but I do agree with you all that the main hallway could stand to be a little wider.

This is a very well made remake of a really solid UT map and the very fact that we're down to discussing the width of the middle hallway goes to show you that you're nearly spot-on in what you've done overall. It's definitely a keeper for me.

Bazzwano
31st May 2008, 11:31 PM
thanks hal, that's a good point. Iv corrected my mis reference.

JohnDoe641
1st Jun 2008, 07:33 PM
I didn't say the map was crap I said that about the gameplay. :p

Only reason it is imho, is the hallway. If that were fixed, I'd have no problem with the map.

It's like a new highway that's paved, smooth as anything, but in the middle section there's a pothole that's causing people to slow down thus causing traffic and back ups. Without 100% flow the highway isn't being very effective. :p

Bazzwano
1st Jun 2008, 09:36 PM
that's ok JD, I prob agree with you there to some extent, I do think maps do need some chock points, but that prob was a bit too much, I don't think id change that it this point though, but Ill keep that in mind for dreary.

Mr. UglyPants
4th Jun 2008, 12:34 PM
Ugh, i'm hating this download rate, it just either stops completely or goes from 400 to 25 kb.

UBerserker
4th Jun 2008, 02:59 PM
I played Safeguard 2 and I'm satisfied with it. Best UT3 CTF map out there, in my opinion.

Mr. UglyPants
5th Jun 2008, 08:49 AM
Anyone have a alternative download for this map, the current link is unstable.

Bazzwano
6th Jun 2008, 06:35 AM
hey man, sorry your having such an issue, unlike others, here's another few links
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=4312

LOL im doing a real bad job of keeping my read me upto date, I only just noticed my thread said v1.2 :-s damit