PDA

View Full Version : UT DM-Volant beta

16MentalTempest
6th Apr 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm a little scared this is going to get scoffed at because of the vast amount of UT3 releases in this forum. Oh well.

The Volant Research Facility floats above a huge crater by means of large engines on the very bottom. It was designed to study the geology of the area before an accident occurred that caused the facility to be shut down except for the main floor and two observation decks above and below the facility.

Really the only major addition I still have to make is the skybox with the crater. In the map, any of the black checkered texture is where it will be visible. I would appreciate feedback on all sections of the map, but primarily bot pathing. It is a pretty small map, but pathing is not my strong point.

Much appreciated!

PsyXandeR
6th Apr 2008, 11:08 AM
Yay UT99 map, checking it out, feedback coming soon ;)

Anyways, is it your really really first map or something because it looks like it. :p Next time try to go for more complex layout since this one is way too basic and straight - forward , you go, you shoot. Next time also consider adding some Z - axis, to be honest , I'm not a big fan of it but there has to be minimum ammount of it, try making 2/3 layered layouts. Also, I don't think that lifts work very well here, they are way too fast and that leads to loosing health sometimes. Possible solution would be deleting lift pipes , and moving those bottom rooms a little bit up so you could add walkways, ramps ;)

Archi is somewhat basic, I think that tech - styled maps should have more complex archi like different curves, pipes, vents, etc etc, not only consoles and crates. ;) Try to find refference in existing techy maps. :)

Anyways , pretty good start , my first map was even worse :o , one big cube with masked textures, that was a shock :D
BTW, if you gonna add crater ( terrain ) , use tellaselated cubes for those purposes since it minimizes the amount of BSP errors.

PS - sorry if i sound harsh :/

16MentalTempest
6th Apr 2008, 12:15 PM
No, it isn't my first, and no you don't sound harsh. At the moment, I'm considering even ditching the map though. The idea just did not have enough merit to me in the first place. I was inspired by the terrain tutorial by Bot 40 to do something like a canyon or a crater map. Maybe I'll work on it some more, but I doubt its worthy of release.

Thanks for the comments.

Adelheid
11th Apr 2008, 06:59 AM
KEEP MAPPING!
Please?

16MentalTempest
13th Apr 2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks Fokker, really appreciate that.
Not planning to release DM-Volant but I'm now working on a new CTF map. It uses the Crypt textures and I've tried making it a little more dynamic than Volant. Hope to finish it in a few weeks.

I've also noticed that I spent about five days on DM-Volant, but old DM-GTarena was about two months and much better. Amazing how that works, eh? :rolleyes: