A reason to give Quake 3 another chance. WFA

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Feb 4, 2000
Visit site
I, like many of you, am an avid UT player because Q3 out of the box sucks major azzz.

But all that changed when I tried the Weapons Factory Arena (WFA) beta. This game fixes the mistakes Id made.

It takes a while to learn how to play. It's more complex than typical CTF. There are 8 different classes of warriors each with unique rolls and abilities. The maps are also more intricate.

I think the assassin is the coolest. He can become invisible, sneak up on unsuspecting players and knife'um. Lots of fun!
http://www.captured.com/weaponsfactory/quake3/screen-player.shtml

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
WFA looks kewl, but I'll grab it a few betas down the road.

It does put proper CTF back into Q3 though, and people are raving about it left, right and centre.

bullet2.gif

"I am the Atari, and the Amiga!" - Skumboy

The Ping!

May 6, 2000
Ecuador?!
Visit site
WFA is the only reason I still have Q3 installed. It takes a lot of getting used to but it plays great. The only problem I have with it is that it is freakin´ 64MB... if youre on a 56k it takes about 4 hours to download!

bullet2.gif

56K is the only way to play! (NOT)

BigSpike|MyU

Skilled
Jun 4, 2000
Kansas
Visit site
Hey guys I am a little slow here. I bought Q3 and like many stopped playing, because of, well no need to tell you why. Could someone explain a little more about what this WFA is. Is it just a patch, or is it a different "game pack". Just wondering, sounds interesting. ;) Thanx!

BigSpike|MyU

Skilled
Jun 4, 2000
Kansas
Visit site
Khuda?? I am sure I wish, but you lost me on this one. Just BigSpike|MyU here. I hope I am still welcome though. ;) Is that a clan or something, don't tell me I am using someone elses name :(

Feb 4, 2000
Visit site
BigSpike,
WFA is a major modification to Q3. With new and better maps, cool weapons, and unique player behavior. Jet packs, sentery guns, morders, land mines, flame throwers, and freeze guns all await you.

Just go to the main page and download the client files and install them into you Q3 directery. I suggest trying all the classes and them narrow them down to one or two to specialize in.
http://www.captured.com/weaponsfactory/quake3

[This message has been edited by Sapphire Nights (edited 06-06-2000).]

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Well i downloaded that mod, grapped Q3A again, installed it.
Booted Q3A, got frustrated again, with the clumsy way to setup WFa keybinding(c'mon internet page cut & paste for edditing cfg files)

Then i started WFa, played it against bot, and online. Tried it for a hour or three, and came to the conclusion, Q3A even with WFa is better as the original Q3 CTF, but still its Q3A man it even took me 20minutes to figure out how i could score a point with my flag, i had the enemy flag, runned over our own flag over and over, without been able to score.

The shotgun was useless in Q3A, but this new one is even more tamed down. The weapons available are utterly useless (f*ck*n handgrenades with 10sec delay !?! whats the use of THAT)
And maybe because its an beta, but in the match i had to get killed, because when my guns where empty, i never could find ANY ammo, only armor and health.

I know that Q3A lovers will dissagree, but i think most UT CTFer will feel the same here.
Its an DM with CTF goals and classes.

So WFa, again won't get me to play Q3A, onlything i have everytime i play/see Q3a is that i am impressed with the graphics and speed of the engine, compared to that UT is an old ugly game, but still compared to gameplay, UT is far more superiour, even without WF for UT

bullet2.gif

Nominated by PuF as King of LPB's
Defense and Freelance player for [Ci]

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff , home of the world-famous Llama Farm!

Collateral Damage

Mar 29, 2000
Visit site
Yeah that mod is good ,one thing I can't understand is why so many people are down on Q3A .I mean it doesn't have to be the whole world in a box to be good (its not expensive to buy) sure it has its faults ,as does UT ,but its a brilliant deathmatch game .Teamplay is where UT flogs q3 badly ,expecially ctf ,which in UT as we all know is awesome .I play both games and love them both ,q3 for the more accuracy required weaponry and ferocious deathmatch intensity ,UT for the stunningly brilliant level design and outstanding teamplay games .Both games are brilliant in their own ways ,cheers :)

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Er... why get Q3 just for Weapons Factory, when Unreal Fortress and Weapons Factory UT are coming out? If I made a great mod for Mortyr, would everyone get it?

bullet2.gif

If anyone discovers what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Why do people buy Half-Life just for Counter Strike?

It's all a question of preference.

bullet2.gif

Just chill out!

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
I've said all along that I bought Q3 for the mods and not the actual game (DM just isn't my thing), if you really think about it Q2 was pretty mediocre but the mod community made it great.

|C|Beav

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
I have Quake 3, but I am definitely very disenchanted by it. Mods are too confusing to add, and very often don't work like you want them to. I haven't played Q3 much since I got it (which was also the same day I got UT), and until I get a better computer (it's good enough now...), I probably won't play it much. The fact of the matter is the U-engine is a much better engine than the Quake engine, and UT certainly proved that.

bullet2.gif

burpfish.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feb 4, 2000
Visit site
BloW__Smoke, The engineer has the super shotgun and its mean. The purpuse of the regular shotgun for most classes is a "last resort" weapon when your primary weapon is out of ammo. The WF concept is more complex than regular CTF.
There is a config generater on the WFA page and it will set your binds for you. Look for it in the classes section.

Im not nessisaraly saying run out and buy Q3A for WFA (although I would) but if you already have it and its been collection dust, this is a reason to dig it out.

Also, I must stress that this is just the first beta release. The team is working on bugs and class balancing.