PDA

View Full Version : UT3 CTF-Skyline [Beta, Pics, DL]

Wail of Suicide
13th Mar 2008, 05:25 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/wailofsuicide/Skyline/ScreenShot00138.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/wailofsuicide/Skyline/ScreenShot00137.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/wailofsuicide/Skyline/ScreenShot00134.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/wailofsuicide/Skyline/ScreenShot00133.jpg

A small CTF level utilizing the rooftop environment area from DM-Gateway. Some moderate layout additions and changes have been made to accomodate CTF gameplay. The idea is pretty simple, but I feel like it works quite well. Gameplay is somewhat "woot" style as travel without the translocator is largely dependent on jumppads or jump boots. It should be suitable for CTF and iCTF, although it's quite an open level so be wary of overloading it with players.

Suggested players: 6-10

Download Here (http://files.filefront.com/CTF+SkylineHzip/;9827326;/fileinfo.html)

Current to-do list for next beta:

-Improved botpathing
-Refine environmental emitters
-Kismet events
-Base side Jump Pads' Z is sometimes insufficient to handle their jump properly... Unfortunately there no longer seems to be an easy way to adjust the Z angle of a jumppad, so I am thinking about ways to handle this. Jumping before hitting the jumppad works for the time being.
-Teleporter in the blue base retains the default "red glow." Does anyone know how to change this to blue? The material obviously exists for it, since in Warfare the node teleporters are blue, I just can't see a way to assign the teamcolored material.

Kantham
13th Mar 2008, 05:33 PM
Looks alright for the most part, but why copying the DM-Gateway parts?
I bet that's probably causing your cooking crash issue.

Phopojijo
13th Mar 2008, 05:51 PM
Looks like a mashup of Deimos, Gateway, and Carbonfire.

Looks cool though.

Wail of Suicide
13th Mar 2008, 05:56 PM
Looks alright for the most part, but why copying the DM-Gateway parts?
I bet that's probably causing your cooking crash issue.

I don't think so. I mean, first off, there wouldn't be much of a map without DM-Gateway parts. And second, I didn't really have any problems cooking CTF-Sinkhole and that was also a CTF conversion of a stock map.

Kantham
13th Mar 2008, 06:03 PM
You know what I mean. The buildings in your level is almost identical to DM-Gateway's. Not just for the meshes, but the whole gameplay building itself.

Wail of Suicide
13th Mar 2008, 06:45 PM
You know what I mean. The buildings in your level is almost identical to DM-Gateway's. Not just for the meshes, but the whole gameplay building itself.

Actually I don't. I'm not seeing how this is related to cooking causing UT3 to crash everytime?

Kantham
13th Mar 2008, 06:45 PM
:doh:

Nevermind that. A bad assumption maybe...

Wail of Suicide
14th Mar 2008, 11:47 AM
Small update.

I figured out what was causing the issue where my map was rendered uncookable. In creating this map I wanted to copy some of the particles from Epic packages to the map package so that I could tweak them to my liking. I followed the instructions outlined in Mysterial's post here (http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=585462) except for the last bit of deleting the copy of the Epic package once I had duplicated the items I wanted out of it.

Anyway, long story short, once I deleted the copy of the Epic package I was able to cook the map but it seems like those particles still retained some references to some things in the deleted package. So I am probably going to have to recreate the emitters by hand if I want to avoid cooking problems. Kind of frustrating, but at least I know how to fix it.

Kantham
14th Mar 2008, 12:12 PM
I did that with a fire emitter I wanted, it was quite a pain in the ass but I completely copied every single value of the other emitter I wanted. Copying using the log is the worse thing you can do, I bet you can get into cross package issues as well.

What's why I said "Copying" may cause the cooking problem.

Wail of Suicide
14th Mar 2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean now.
And, yeah, I did one of the emitters by hand already, the weird force field effect around the flags. Took forever to get that right, which is why I decided to just try and copy the emitters from the other package. Although the new emitter editor is kind of nice when it comes to visual feedback, it takes freaking forever to adjust properties with the way it's organized. I really wish it were set up more like 2004's particles where you could just quickly edit some numbers and properties without all the overhead the new particle system has.

[VaLkyR]Anubis
14th Mar 2008, 01:25 PM
What a nice map,can't wait to play it.:):tup:

Mr. UglyPants
14th Mar 2008, 03:51 PM
Looks quite awesome, i'm always good with new CTF maps.

dura1198
14th Mar 2008, 06:14 PM
Looks quite awesome, i'm always good with new CTF maps.

Agreed!!

Wail of Suicide
16th Mar 2008, 07:05 AM
Updated first post with the download link.

T2A`
16th Mar 2008, 03:39 PM
Kinda fun, though the modified gravity tends to get on my nerves. I mean, the flak shell already goes way too far under normal circumstances. D:

You definitely need to fix up the majority of the jump pads. The bots can't even play the map currently because when they hit the side pads they're knocked right back to where they were.

Sure, you can't add a multiplier to the Z height, but you can change how long it takes to make the jump, which is essentially the same thing. Longer time = more height. I dunno what it is about the main fan jumps, but they seemed to randomly decide not to throw me far enough to clear the gap a couple times. :(

Why weapon lockers instead of standard bases? Lockers remove the need for ammo pickups.

Wail of Suicide
16th Mar 2008, 03:57 PM
You definitely need to fix up the majority of the jump pads. The bots can't even play the map currently because when they hit the side pads they're knocked right back to where they were.

Sure, you can't add a multiplier to the Z height, but you can change how long it takes to make the jump, which is essentially the same thing. Longer time = more height. I dunno what it is about the main fan jumps, but they seemed to randomly decide not to throw me far enough to clear the gap a couple times. :(p.

Yeah, the jump pads are kind of tricky. I actually tried increasing the jump time (current value is actually an increase from how it originally was), but it didn't really seem to make any noticeable difference with how players hit the platforms. Maybe I didn't try extreme enough values, but then, I think 3 seconds in the air completely exposed and flying on a predictable path would be pretty painful.

The main fan jumps might not throw you far enough if you hit the side of the subtraction they're in. The solution to that is just to reduce the depth of the subtraction they're in (or make a sloped edge), but I haven't decided whether that's necessary or not. Something I'm open to adjusting for sure.

Why weapon lockers instead of standard bases? Lockers remove the need for ammo pickups.

Because weapon lockers give me the ability of replicating weapons-throw-like functionality. Eventually I'll get around to making custom weapon factories for that purpose, but I wanted to get this out there first.