UE3 - UT3 UT3 Level Design wiki initiative :-)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Two months ago I've started a wiki page focused on UT3 Editor. I decided for wiki for obvious reasons - easier page modification + potential for team work. Now the wiki has some content and basic shapes are outlined - but there is even more work to do. The link is:

http://utmapping.wikidot.com

Of course you can ask why "just another wiki". Well, I hope it will not be just another one - and that's why I need contributors that know how to write systematic articles and also know something about UnrealEd for UT3. Wiki is focused solely on UT3 and few generic related topics - nothing more. Also it doesn't plan to be uber-big. ;-) Why to repeat things from other articles (Hourences, AVLD's Kismet tuts, etc.)? Just link it - because tell over the same story is really stupid without any added value.

If you like the page and can yourself identify with its mission - let me know. I'm open to discussion how to go on, but I'll definitelly defend the page from going suddenly somewhere else - that's probably normal.

Apr 11, 2006
Two months ago I've started a wiki page focused on UT3 Editor. I decided for wiki for obvious reasons - easier page modification + potential for team work. Now the wiki has some content and basic shapes are outlined - but there is even more work to do. The link is:

http://utmapping.wikidot.com

Of course you can ask why "just another wiki". Well, I hope it will not be just another one - and that's why I need contributors that know how to write systematic articles and also know something about UnrealEd for UT3. Wiki is focused solely on UT3 and few generic related topics - nothing more. Also it doesn't plan to be uber-big. ;-) Why to repeat things from other articles (Hourences, AVLD's Kismet tuts, etc.)? Just link it - because tell over the same story is really stupid without any added value.

If you like the page and can yourself identify with its mission - let me know. I'm open to discussion how to go on, but I'll definitelly defend the page from going suddenly somewhere else - that's probably normal.

Here's a question for you: Why not just use UnrealWiki?

Also, I'll add -- Copying articles from other sources does have some value. Namely, when a webpage eventually gets removed from the internet (for whatever reason), the copy is unaffected, whereas a link is useless.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Now it looks like it's vs. UnrealWiki which it wasn't and isn't. I wanted to start to write new bunch of tutorials (primarily) and I chose wiki because I use wiki a lot (at work, Confluence namely) and I like it. No need to write HTML, incremental article writing, etc. I don't want this to be the bible, but rather the guide - and focused solely on UT3.

About UnrealWiki - now I know there is new plan behind, but I didn't know this when I started this. It doesn't suppose to be wikipedia for UT3. I started it with backup plan that I'll pull it out (somehow) even alone as a guide - and I wanted "wiki" as a tool. Only because it's wiki it's compared mostly with BU wiki, but wiki is only the way, not the content.

If we talked about current UnrealWiki state... where I casually go from article to article without realizing that suddenly I read something for different engine... yeah, that's why this is only about UT3. I hope UT3 will have some reasonable lifespan. ;-) (Again: Now I know that new UnrealWiki is prepared, but still this one should be much much smaller than UnrealWiki.)

About copying articles... UDN, Hourences, AVLD - these are well established sources for now - and c'mon, you can't copy articles from there as is (I mean generally - maybe you have permissions ;-)). Of course most basic things should make it to the site as well but not as a copy.

Final disclaimer: It's not my intention to duplicate, substitute or however else affect UnrealWiki. I want to establish guide-focused site only about UT3 and keep it rather small. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
I think a wiki devoted to UT3 mapping would be cool. I would however suggest if you do use articles from other people that they say who they are from on them. Also if your taking somebody elses article and putting it on a wiki I'd make sure those articles don't get edited by anyone.

InAction

I make things move
Jan 21, 2008
To be honest I think a mapper specific Wiki could be good and perhaps someone else could start up a wiki regarding coding and a third regarding the rest. The current unreal-wiki is really cluttered and huge, you're really discouraged to use it due to the vast amount of information that's sometimes obsolete as they regard the old engines etc.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I think that level design SITE (which is obviously my favourite subject regarding UT) can't hurt although we already have some. I don't want to emphasize wiki anymore (rather :-)).

About BU wiki - they are working on it. Even big amount of info can be handled and I bet they work hard to prove it. We'll see (reportedly soon).

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
Good stuff Virgo, keep up the good work.

I about to embark in the world of UT3 mapping so will be a regular visitor :)

I agree a UT3 specific wiki for coding would be a great idea :)