UE3 - UT3 General questions about unrealEd

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gokzor

Mar 6, 2008
Ok a little intro for starters just so i don't get f lammed or told of for asking questions that have been answered elsewhere already. My name is jody im starting work with a few others from my work place (realtimeworlds) im am just doing a little personal research just now before i start the project properly. I am going to ask questions that will have been answered elsewhere, iv seen them myself, but I find it hard to take in all the information (some conflicting) unless i can read it in one easy to reach place. I am keeping records of all other sources and bookmarks to tutorials where i see fit but just thought id write this up as i need a little help from some of you more experienced in level design and the processes involved.

Ok so to start with ill give you a list of questions and examples that come to mind right now, feel free to answer any of them and in whatever order you like.

(1) say i start a level, for example a street, blocked of at ether end and enclosed. Here is how i imagine i would go about doing this correct me if im wrong please. I create an additive level. use basic brushes in unreal to block out the level very simply. then create the majority of the objects as static meshes and actors in my modeling package of choice and import these into the level placing them appropriately..

(1a) can i make objects like entire buildings as static meshes..
(1B) Do i even need to use the basic brushes or can i create the whole level out of static meshes and actors.. and what benefits or problems do you see from this.
(1c) what difference is their between static meshes and brushes in unreal ie.. does the lighting appear different on them?, does this effect the bsp processing at all?, anything else you can think of...
(1c) what sorts of polycounts for a single level are you guys looking at.. do you measure you budget in verts as like unreal does or just use max..
(1d) what sorts of texture budgets, for buildings, terrain ect

(2) say i want this level to then link to another level, for example you go through a tunnel and come out in a different street.. how are these linked and does the engine support real time streaming of this or does it have to go to a loading screen

right well thanks in advance for your answers and ill try and think up more relevant questions as i go along.

GoK

PS. i am a professional games artist with a lot of experience with the unreal engine (props and characters) just not level design. So don't be afraid to fire big words at me

PPS. just a note this is in no way connected to my work this is a personal project outside entirely.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Wouldnt it be easier to ask the the LDs at RTW?

a. Yes, meshes can be utterly huge. See the Modeling 2 tutorial on my website, and the Making of Krodan for additional points of views and all that. Krodan is 99.9 percent staticmesh. There are only 2 BSP cubes in the entire level.
b. See above answer. Brushes are easier than meshes if you are used to them, easier to change if you want to tweak something. They are also quicker to texture, and they are always lightmapped. Meshes are vertex lit by default, but lightmapping can be enabled for them if you wish. A mesh can look identical to a brush and even better, as brushes do not support smoothing groups and often there are lightmap seams and all, and you cant manually alter the lightmap unwrap....
c. see above
d. I dont even care about the polycount anymore these days, anything will run.... Stay under a few hundred thousand in view. Keep different materials, size of materials, etc. in budget. This is also described in my Modeling 2 tutorial.
e. Budgets are high hardware wise, but remember you also need to distribute it online, and no one wants to download a 500 mb little level. Combine alpha maps in images, try to not use a specular bitmap unless really needed, generate one instead. Try to reuse textures, etc.

2. See the streaming tutorial on my website, it can load it on the go without loading screen.

gokzor

Mar 6, 2008
tech guys at work are very busy at the mo i don't want to bug them about something not directly related to work just now. And thanks you answered everything i needed to know and ill check out you site and look at your suggestions. Anyway much thanks and good luck to you!

Jody

gokzor

Mar 6, 2008
does anyone know if their is a tri limit for the .UCX models....?

how do the shaders work does the engine use one uber shader, does the engine render each shader differently if a peramiter is changed or does it just render every shader seperatly unless its an instance... ?

Thanks, Jody :)

gokzor

Mar 6, 2008
Thanks, I was just curious as to how the engine does it as it may be of use if you were making a mod and thinking about budgets... but no for a single level it doesn't really help.

Jody