UE3 - UT3 Need help mapping a static mesh

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Den85

Mar 2, 2008
Hi guys,

Firstly, I just want to say that I'm very new to the UT3 Engine as well as modding in general. You see, I'm studying games design in college and we recently received an assignment in which we have to create an UT level using its editor.

I'm fine modeling in 3dmax and find it alright using the interface in UT3 but there's something holding me back from really digging into this project. I'm a very visual individual so once I get into the technical aspect of UT3 I struggle.

Here's my problem; I've imported a number of mapped ASE static meshes from 3dsmax to find they are untextured. It didn't take me long enough to understand that I must texture them in the editor itself. However, I find it easy enough to texture something with a single material but these meshes I'm using are a little more complicated. For the sake of my problem see below and I'll try and explain. NOTE- this isn't the mesh I'm really using. I can do much better than this ;)

textimageer0.jpg

Now you might say why not bring in each piece and texture them but let's assume for a second this is a building made up of a number of meshes. If I map it in 3dsmax and attach them all together can I import the entire set of textures? I believe it has something to do with "render to texture" but I'm not sure. I tried this before with a mapped model and render to texture as a .tga file but when I applied it to a static mesh in UT3 it just merely wrapped it around the model. It didn't recognize the coordinates.

Sorry if I didn't explain it well :(

If you did understand can you help? Also, as in depth as possible of an explanation is always welcome :)

Thank you very much!

Den85

Mar 2, 2008
How would I export the UVs? Also, I assume you're talking about pelt mapping.

Fathed

Sep 26, 2001
Visit site
Hey man

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialskrodan.htm

Thats a great tutorial if your new to mapping.

As for what your doing you need to make the model you want to do. Layout the UVs then export it out using axmesh. You can then also export the same UVs you made and put it into a Photoshop like editor. From there you can paint on the UVs flip them Vertically and import them into unreal and make a material out of them. Also you want to get CrazyBump if you want to make an easy to do normal map for your texture. If this is a project that needs to be done, I highly suggest doing an outdoor type map. That way you can just automap the UVs for the rocks and its not going to be a big deal. This is a huge time saver and we all know making maps takes months, especially if your new at it.

Thanks!

Den85

Mar 2, 2008
Wow

That looks like a huge step in the right direction.

Thanks very much Fathed, I really appreciate it :)