PDA

View Full Version : UT3 DM-PermaFrost Beta [Download & Screens]

Vaskadar
22nd Feb 2008, 06:08 PM
Map Name: Frigid
Version: Beta 1.6
Description: A rather large deathmatch map with a twist: A vehicle. There are three teleports: Two one-ways, one two-way. My original intention was to add bot-used lifts that had complex trigger systems, failed miserably due to bot unintelligence and confusion. On a lighter note, I've gotten positive feedback from some testers, and the map seems to be heading in a good direction.
Comments: Bots like the viper, a lot.
Download: Beta1.6 (http://rapidshare.com/files/98590933/DM-Frigid.zip)
Screenshots:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00104.jpghttp://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00106.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00105.jpghttp://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00107.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00099.jpg

Grogan
24th Feb 2008, 03:44 PM
Nice map, I like it a lot. It looks great and it's fairly simple, with a fair bit of wide open space. I haven't found a sniper rifle yet though... if there is one it must be hidden. The map really would benefit from easily accessible sniper rifles.

However, I (personally) very much dislike vehicles in death match, so ones that have them I tend to mostly play instagib where one shot obliterates them. (I mostly like instagib best anyways and it's what I do 90% of the time). Those vipers are ridiculous unless it's you operating them.

That said, this is a great map for instagib and I love the distance shots.

P.S. I'd also like to mention that your starry sky with blue and green auroras is a nice touch. The bluish tinge of the ice looks good too... it's not all drab and desolate looking like some other winter maps.

Vaskadar
25th Feb 2008, 07:58 PM
Well I found that the whole point of putting a viper and not something else was because the viper is a weak vehicle compared to the other vehicles, and I also found that if you go down into the underground, you'll score a few kills there too. I wish I had the option of making the vehicle optional, but I don't. I might actually take the vehicle out if it turns out to be too much of a hassle, though. When I get more opinions, that is.

I'll have another update in just a few, after I do a few things.

Grogan
25th Feb 2008, 10:50 PM
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you take the viper out as I'm sure others like them. That's why I said personally, it's just my opinion. I have the remedy for them: Instagib. Then I like vehicles... in pieces :-)

Vaskadar
26th Feb 2008, 07:00 PM
Well, the map is now updated, and you can see the updated visuals in the pictures. The floating things you see in the sky are floating lights that bathe the arena in a bluish hue.

Phopojijo
26th Feb 2008, 10:15 PM
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you take the viper out as I'm sure others like them. That's why I said personally, it's just my opinion. I have the remedy for them: Instagib. Then I like vehicles... in pieces :-)You know Instagib only does like -- what -- Shock Rifle damage to vehicles?

Tweakd
26th Feb 2008, 10:19 PM
You know Instagib only does like -- what -- Shock Rifle damage to vehicles?

Nah instagib 1shots vehicles.

Grogan
27th Feb 2008, 01:51 AM
Well, I played your new one a few times, both normal and Instagib. I see there is a sniper rifle. I haven't found where it is yet, but I killed a bot and took it.

The map looks nicer, particularly the lighting inside. However, I liked that golden holo globe with the continents on it better than what you changed it to. (no big deal, but that other one was really nice)

This is shaping up to be a really nice map. I love it, thanks for making it.

I'm not too crazy about the viper being able to get inside now though, through that back elevator shaft entrance :-)

Vaskadar
27th Feb 2008, 03:10 PM
I can get rid of the viper if it's a pain in the ass, I was beginning to feel that way about it because a map needs balance, and a viper isn't balanced, so instead of the viper, I was going to place a Berzerk. But that could seriously alter the gameplay that people have come to know.

But I could find a way to ensure that the viper cannot enter the insides, maybe a door that blocks the elevator shaft when the elevator is down at the bottom of the elevator shaft? I could easily set that up in kismet and it would make the underground separated from the above ground. And I might add another sniper rifle to the map and move one of the sniper ammunitions to that side. To make it easier to locate the sniper rifle for you, it's nestled among some hilly snow drifts. And I know this about the doors for the teleports, they actually increase the frame rate so that you can easily look around the lava room without serious drops in framerate. I'll also add ammunition for some weapon near the Udamage.

For the next release, the map will be called DM-Frigid.

Grogan
28th Feb 2008, 08:49 PM
It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you got rid of the viper, but if others like it I wouldn't want you to do that.

It also would suit me if the viper couldn't get inside, your suggestion sounds good to me.

I'll be looking forward to the next release, DM-Frigid then. I've been enjoying the current one :)

P.S. That lava room looks great in the current release. I noticed there's more "contrast" with the changes in the lighting.

Vaskadar
29th Feb 2008, 05:59 AM
I didn't get rid of the viper, but I did add a few things in the map: a second sniper, a mechanism that blocks the viper, and better lighting.

Grogan
9th Mar 2008, 01:29 AM
I didn't get a notification for this post, so I missed it. I never got to try DM-Frigid. You working on another build of it? (download file has been deleted)

Vaskadar
9th Mar 2008, 01:31 AM
Oops. I forgot to update this one. It's going to be 1.5 with an additional room, you'll like it.

Okay, fixed.

Grogan
9th Mar 2008, 05:52 AM
Well I couldn't just go to bed (almost 6 AM now), I had to try this. Very nice... I like what you've done to the entrances of the building, and that the viper can't get in now.

I've found both sniper rifles... very useful in this map. It's fun to hit the bot driving the viper with them.

That's one good thing about the vipers, the player is exposed. Also, I've upgraded to a quad core processor and now I seem to be able to hit meandering vipers much more easily (better responsiveness with the physics now). I was quite surprised at what a difference a CPU upgrade alone made to UT3.

I still prefer instagib best though, and this map is a lot of fun in instagib mode with 9 or 10 bots :)

P.S. Thanks!!

Vaskadar
9th Mar 2008, 08:41 AM
I'm glad you liked it. I enjoy making maps, and it's even better when I see that people enjoy my maps as much as I do. Of course, detailing will come later, and I think the layout should be pretty solid, so maybe I could get more input from this community as well? It would be nice.

Vaskadar
12th Mar 2008, 07:30 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the layout is complete. It should be good for one last visual and audio update before it's finalized. Unless other people say otherwise. I'd like to know your opinions.

Grogan
12th Mar 2008, 07:43 PM
I think the layout is great. Since you mention it though, I do think the ice terrain could stand to be a bit more featureful. (Not that it looks bad the way it is or anything)

By the way, I got an "Ultrainstagib" mutator the other night that gives me back the "Zoom Instagib" that I miss from UT2004. This map is ultra-fun with ultrainstagib :-)

Vaskadar
12th Mar 2008, 07:45 PM
Well, I guess you're right about the terrain, it does seem kinda bland now that you speak of it. Maybe that's why none of the pro mappers have taken an interest in this one. IT N33DS MOAR SCHTUFF!!! I had a genius idea, I should make the outside look like there was some kind of war going on here?

Grogan
13th Mar 2008, 01:08 AM
Well, I like the nice serene feeling of that map. It was more just decoration I was thinking of. Some terrain detail is all. Some more jagged ice, maybe some rock on some of the hilly areas.

Vaskadar
19th Mar 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry to say that I've put this map on hold for another map. It's called DM-downfall, and it's actually not that bad, right now. I've been working on it for a little while. So check it out when you can. I'm posting it up here in content releases under the WIP screenshot thread.