Mike Capps: UT2003 Was A Misstep

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Earnest Cavalli at Wired is attributing a quote to Epic Games' president Mike Capps as overheard at a speech about what went right with Unreal Tournament 3:
"Unreal Tournament 2003 was a misstep."

Other than attributing the issue to the fact that the title was created mostly "by an external team," Capps diplomatically avoided specifics on what exactly went wrong.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Gamespy is only responsible for the non-gameplay online part. The GUI, for example, can't be blamed on them.
Except the GUI for the server browser ;)

Just kidding.

I like the gameplay of it. The UI -- isn't the best but it's serviceable -- it works.

The *marketting* is what totally raped this game though.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
UT2004 was developed mostly by "an external team" as well.

Most of the maps are by DE or outside contracts, ONS and the vehakals were made my Psyonix, the core gameplay came from UT2003 which came from DE, etc.

So I guess when you take things together it's fluke, misstep, better misstep, failure?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well atari was pushing for the yearly naming and all that as well hey but yeah UT2003 was mostly DE judging by the comments. I do remember reading something about the version numbers jumping alot on the PC version when Epic took over though.

Funny, first UC2 now UT2003 but nothing we didnt know before hand. But hey blame the games not the platform, keep giving them gears after they offered you nothin in support to the title which named an engine (oh UT2003 not UC1 duh :doh: ).

I know I wouldnt mind seeing another Unreal Championship game, Id prefer Unreal 3 ofcoarse but the Championship name did have alot to offer. So much so they could make a game or two out of the stuff left out of UT3 :lol:

Hey 360 is getting UT3 though so I doubt we'll see either in a hurry, especially since Gears 2 is in the works and has an actual release date. Heres an idea, Epic buy Midway then you can make Unreal Kombat :D

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Gamespy is only responsible for the non-gameplay online part. The GUI, for example, can't be blamed on them.
Why not? A lot of the UI problems involve logging in and the server browser. You couldn't blame the lack of options on them, but you could blame those problems on them :)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
From what I heard Gears wasnt without its problems either with like parts missing or like just bits that wernt explained which was fixed up on the PC version. So I guess they got that right, then again I wouldnt know if that was a download for 360 either.

I really think Epic can afford to be a "when its done" company and should try to stick to that as much as they can. Look at what they can do when its almost kinda done then think of what their games would be like if they wernt under pressure to get them out the door. Then again I guess its like a painting sometimes you just gotta know when to stop adding stuff or you could ruin it.