Lost Odyssey Postmortem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Ray Nakazato, president of Feelplus, discusses the collaboration between his studio and Hironobu Sakaguchi's Mistwalker in development of Lost Odyssey. On the topic of using Unreal Engine 3 as it was being developed:
As Nakazato said earlier, the team started without Xbox 360 hardware or rendering technology. "Unreal 3 was at the cutting edge at the time. Also, the PC version was available before 360 existed. So we actually used the PC version before the 360 was available, and we have a great toolset."

On the other hand, "Using the Unreal Engine is also a bad thing. In Japan, those who are used to JRPG engines have a different style. They have their own philosophy. But Unreal 3 Engine also has its own philosophy. Both are inconsistent and incompatible. If we knew that earlier, we could have a consensus that we should use Unreal 3's method and philosophy... but we just applied our old philosophy." Overall, he said, the integration did not go well.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Can we please correct people saying "Unreal 3 Engine" over "Unreal Engine 3" at least? :rolleyes:

i read that all over the net. like, every second time someone mentions UE3 they're talking about 'Unreal 3 Engine'... it's annoying.
another thing is that people are constantly referring to UT3 as 'Unreal 3'. but i guess in a way that's a side effect of the fact that there are lots of people/gamers that don't know old(-school) games :(

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
i read that all over the net. like, every second time someone mentions UE3 they're talking about 'Unreal 3 Engine'... it's annoying.
another thing is that people are constantly referring to UT3 as 'Unreal 3'. but i guess in a way that's a side effect of the fact that there are lots of people/gamers that don't know old(-school) games :(

In provinces people even still call game UT2007

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Well that's pretty obvious -- UnrealEngine3 is designed for high lighting detail on objects.

JRPGs are a lot more cartoony in nature. It'd be pretty hard to turn that engine into a JRPG engine.

That being said, UnrealEngine3 is very generalized and can be used for many purposes -- the problem is, would it have been easier to create your own specific engine for that purpose?

Unlike SK though -- Lost Odyssey's developers realized "UnrealEngine3 is great -- it just doesn't suit our needs".

Last edited: