UE3 - UT3 Using Fog to Block the void

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Saidin

Feb 12, 2008
Apologies if this is in a tutorial and/or faq somewhere. I haven't been able to find it.

I'm doing a very simple and small environment layout in UnrealEd3. I have my skydome set up, but I'm looking for a way to block out the ground/horizon.

Since it's a small contained area I was thinking of using some sort of distance fog where when the person looks out to the horizon the map just "disappears" into the fog.

I read Hourences Fog tutorials but nowhere did it say if it would block the void. Will any of those types of fog block out the hall of mirrors?

sWs»Cheapshot

Jan 20, 2008
A fog volume will cover everything from its top and below... that is... going from top down. So if you put one in and set it below your level or floors, you can try to occlude the Skydomes edges by increasing the fog opacity, but it will start to look like a cheap effect the darker you make it.

You could increase the size of your dome and lower the sides to just below your field of view... but that can be tricky too.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
The heightfog actor will cover the void below the horizon. Above the horizon the skydome mesh does so.

If you keep getting a HOM, rather likely, just duplicate your skydome mesh, and mirror it -1 at z to flip it around, and place it below the other one.