PDA

View Full Version : UT3 DM-Devolve(Beta)

Tweakd
21st Feb 2008, 06:54 AM
Name: DM-Devolve
Version: 1.0 Beta8
Compatibility: UT3

Description: I am aiming for a small fast paced map with as little clutter as possible to keep a clean look. A style very similar to the good ol' 99 days. The gameplay is tailored around 1on1 or 2on2 and fits these player counts very well.

Devolve1 (http://www.freewebs.com/tweakd3d/devolve1.jpg)
Devolve2 (http://www.freewebs.com/tweakd3d/devolve2.jpg)
Devolve3 (http://www.freewebs.com/tweakd3d/devolve3.jpg)
Devolve4 (http://www.freewebs.com/tweakd3d/devolve4.jpg)

Download: DM-DevolveBeta8 (http://www.adrive.com/public/5d9cee32e4757b40230e999e2d332e5601e8b36295be69aa1d2c838ee727d710.html)

Slainchild
21st Feb 2008, 07:05 AM
Looks nice :tup:

Will have a play later tonight...

Juggalo Kyle
21st Feb 2008, 12:00 PM
T'was pretty fun. I like the style of the layout.

T2A`
21st Feb 2008, 01:48 PM
Seems pretty decent. Not sure there's enough to entice people to go into the middle of the map given that pretty much everything you need is along the upper outer ledges. Rockets, vest, shock, helmet, 50 health in vials, sniper, repeat. :p

Since there's only one way into the belt room, I think camping it (a la Sentinel) may be an issue. Not sure how hard it would be to hole yourself up in there vs. a real person.

Tweakd
22nd Feb 2008, 07:09 AM
Yes you are right about the sb room. I plan to change that to allow more than one entrance which should solve the problem.

I was even thinking about putting the sb where the flak is. That would kill the other bird too ;)

Thanks for the feedback T2A. It's given me something to think about.

T2A`
22nd Feb 2008, 12:19 PM
Well, the flak area's really tight and you can't see or shoot into it. When I first launched the map I expected the belt to be below the vest where those two health packs are. That puts it in a sort of Rankin position given that it (potentially) is a dead-end. Unlike Rankin, however, it's much easier to see and shoot down into that area from several locations, so I dunno how that'd work. Plus, that'd require moving the vest elsewhere since the would would be one second away from it. :p

Tweakd
22nd Feb 2008, 01:57 PM
Well you definitely know how to give feedback! Thanks!

It's funny that you thought the sb would be where the health is as that is originally where it was positioned. I decided to move it down behind the ramp to facilitate another escape route. I don't like the idea of people camping it but in my testing so far it has been beneficial to keep moving and hunt down your enemy after he spawns. It's a small map so the benefits from quick kills seem to outweigh sitting in a certain position and waiting for kills to come to you.

Do you know of anyone that would be willing to host this on a server (EU) so i could test it out? I've played a few games against my flatmate and while he knows the basics, there is a big skill gap so it's hard to do any serious testing.

Updated the link in the first post with the new changes.

Anuban
23rd Feb 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm liking this map and I can appreciate the danger nature of the flak area ... however I am not a fan of the current location of the 100 armor ... its too easy to get that also get the helmet and then get the flak ... I would like to the helmet moved to that area ... the chest armor moved the flak area ... the flak gun moved to the armor helmet spot and the shield belt moved up to higher ground. Also some nice trim and a good soundtrack would make this a very well done small level suitable for about 4 players ... it seems to play perfectly with four players anymore and it would seem like a spam fest imo.

Al
24th Feb 2008, 02:35 PM
Download link not working for me.

Tweakd
25th Feb 2008, 03:26 AM
Well i have worse problems than that. UT editor won't open any more. :/

I have an updated version but i can't get in to build it. Check back soon.

Well in the end i had to reinstall UT. No idea what the problem was but nm, new link added to original post.

T2A`
25th Feb 2008, 12:35 PM
One or more of the UTEditor*.ini config files probably got corrupted somehow. Reinstalling has never, ever been the true answer with UT games. It might fix things but that's just by chance that it replaced the file that was messing things up. In my experience, any UT-related problem can be fixed by messing with some files, usually by deleting them and letting the game recreate them with default values. :p

Al
25th Feb 2008, 04:56 PM
Nice map!

Tweakd
26th Feb 2008, 10:34 AM
Tnx Al.

If it happens again T2A i'll know what to do. =p

New pics added to the original post and a link to the map. I'm going to need some feedback on weapon layout i think.

Al
26th Feb 2008, 06:30 PM
TBH, I'm not digging the pit of fall into nothingness that you put on there. :\

Tweakd
26th Feb 2008, 06:58 PM
TBH, I'm not digging the pit of fall into nothingness that you put on there.

Whats not to like about it? =p

Al
26th Feb 2008, 07:24 PM
You die. lol

Takes emphasis away from fragging. You now have to worry about falling in. IMO, the competitive community wont like that much. Not that I'm a part of the competitive community... but I just like a good 1on1 match, and the pit of death ruins it. Just my opinion, of course. :D

P.S. Maybe another version for those who love the map, but don't like falling to their death? :)

Thanks for the good work.

Tweakd
26th Feb 2008, 08:58 PM
Hmm well thats a good point. I could easily make two versions if people wanted two. Is there any competitive players here that have a view on this? What do people think of death pits?

T2A`
26th Feb 2008, 09:42 PM
One version, please. Anything else is silly. :/

Death pits pretty much suck ass no matter who's playing. All that work for the belt and then a stray stinger shard knocks you into your doom... not cool. It's supposed to be risky, yes, but not suicide! Otherwise you'd be better off letting the other guy(s) go for it and ambushing them. And even then, since the pit's so big and in such a connected area, you're at risk of plummeting in from many different places.

This death pit especially sucks due to the fact that the flak cannon is down there and there's no natural way to reach it. Having the shield belt in that area is plenty risky on its own even with a floor because you can see into that area from so many other places.

The other new routes seemed nice, especially the one by the new rocket location. I didn't check the placement of much else because I was trying to get back and chat with someone. D:

Here's an idea for the belt area. Not saying it's the best but it might work out. Kinda like you had it originally but keeps the lift.

Tweakd
26th Feb 2008, 09:52 PM
Ok thanks for the quick response. You have a very good point and i think it's already clear that the majority of people would prefer it out. So tomorrow i'll have a look at taking it back to it's original state (but keep the lift ;) ).

Don't worry about weapon placement until the floor is back in the correct position ;) I will be needing help with that one though! :o

Al
27th Feb 2008, 08:16 AM
So tomorrow i'll have a look at taking it back to it's original state (but keep the lift ;) ).

Awesomeness! :)

Tweakd
27th Feb 2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/tweakd3d/Devolve5.jpg

How about that for a compromise? It's now very difficult to fall down so i think it's the best of both worlds. I'll upload this version so that you lot can tell me what you think. Aside from this area does anyone have anything to say about weapon positioning?

Al
27th Feb 2008, 02:26 PM
Meh. Still needs a complete floor, IMO. But hey, it's your map :)

GL with it.

T2A`
27th Feb 2008, 02:59 PM
The issue is that area needs to be a normal part of the level with good flow even though it's risky rather than this pit of despair. That can't happen without two exits -- a ramp and the lift. The pit just complicates things unnecessarily.

Al
27th Feb 2008, 03:13 PM
Agreed ^

Tweakd
27th Feb 2008, 05:09 PM
Well you cant blame me for trying :D

I'm in two minds about this. I could put in a ramp to give players a choice of escape routes. I agree that would be best for flow as it would still be a risky area to be in.

The pit however is a hazard that needs to be avoided. And it can be avoided easily as long as you keep it in your mind when you move around that area.

Arg! I'll have to have a think about this one. Thanks for commenting guys, it's much appreciated even if it is giving me a head ache :D

Atm i'm planning on adding the ramp whilst keeping the pit. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot as far as i'm concerned. Have you had a run around the map? It's very easy to avoid the pit now so im surprised there is still opposition.

Al
27th Feb 2008, 05:21 PM
Atm i'm planning on adding the ramp whilst keeping the pit. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot as far as i'm concerned. Have you had a run around the map? It's very easy to avoid the pit now so im surprised there is still opposition.

I checked it out, but it still doesn't feel right. I liked the floor. Pits of death = no good, IMO. Complete floor, plus the ramp, FTW! :)

[edit] The discussion over at UNA: http://www.unrealna.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1001

Tweakd
27th Feb 2008, 05:28 PM
Complete floor, plus the ramp, FTW! :)

Ok, ok, how can i resist that smiley of yours. I'll fix it up tomorrow; put the floor back in, add the ramp again and see how it feels. Check back tomorrow!

T2A`
27th Feb 2008, 05:28 PM
The site you uploaded to is having troubles at the moment.

My issue is it's not just a hazard to avoid -- it's an integral part of the level due to the way things are set up. It's a random kick to the bollocks of Mr. Flow. Would you like it if on Sentinel there was a random hole in the floor by the amp or belt?

Al
27th Feb 2008, 05:31 PM
Ok, ok, how can i resist that smiley of yours. I'll fix it up tomorrow; put the floor back in, add the ramp again and see how it feels. Check back tomorrow!

Much appreciated! :D

It's a random kick to the bollocks of Mr. Flow.

Agreed.

Anuban
27th Feb 2008, 05:53 PM

I'm also glad to hear this. :)

Tweakd
28th Feb 2008, 07:34 AM
Tnx for the link to the UNA forums Al. I didn't even know that was there! :0

It's good to see that everyone is happy with a floor. I was worried people would be divided on the matter and i'd instantly half the players interested. I'll start work on it when i get back.

Al
28th Feb 2008, 08:11 AM
No problem :)

Looking forward to the next release!

Tweakd
28th Feb 2008, 11:30 AM
Ok thats the floor and the ramp in as can be seen in THIS (http://www.freewebs.com/tweakd3d/devolve4.jpg) pic. I have to admit it does play better now so thanks for having a go at me :D Lesson learned. ;)

So now i need some feedback on item placement and weapon placement. Once that is sorted out i will add some more detail and make sure all textures are aligned properly.

Al
28th Feb 2008, 11:52 AM
Sweetness!!! Will test as soon as I'm outta work!

Thanks Tweakd!

Al
28th Feb 2008, 04:13 PM
Just took a look at beta 8. Perfecto, my friend! Now THAT'S more like it :)

From the looks of it, weapon placement is fine, IMO. Maybe T2A could comment about it?

But well done!

Tweakd
29th Feb 2008, 04:06 AM
Just took a look at beta 8. Perfecto, my friend! Now THAT'S more like it

From the looks of it, weapon placement is fine, IMO. Maybe T2A could comment about it?

But well done!

Thank you! It definitely does play better this way so i'm quite happy with it now. I'll have a few games online with some good players to make sure items are balanced. Hopefully T2A will help out too if he is about. I'm looking forward to making it final now.

Hazel.H
29th Feb 2008, 01:37 PM
Very nice, I look forward to this one :) Just make sure all the playerstarts are reasonably near to a weapon and facing towards it, so players don't get stuck for where to go after spawning.

Tweakd
29th Feb 2008, 02:42 PM
Holy crap Hazel are you from deen? Just checked your flickr link in your sig. That's Union St bridge if i am not mistaken?

Anyway thanks taking an interest in the map. I actually figured out how to add trim from Subterranean. Very nice looking map idd! I always prefer mainly BSP maps for some reason. I really like the flow too. Gj

Just make sure all the playerstarts are reasonably near to a weapon and facing towards it, so players don't get stuck for where to go after spawning.

Will do! Thanks for reminding me, it's likely i would forget. Still learning how to use the editor actually, well, i guess you never stop learning how to use it.

Hazel.H
29th Feb 2008, 03:06 PM
Holy crap Hazel are you from deen? Just checked your flickr link in your sig. That's Union St bridge if i am not mistaken?
Yes :D Do you know the area?

Tweakd
29th Feb 2008, 03:53 PM
Yes Do you know the area?

Yup i live here. Spring gardens to be exact. I rarely meet someone that comes from Scotland let alone the same damn city! What are the odds? 0.o

If you want a game of UT3 anytime add me as Tweakd . At least there will be no complaints about pings ;)

Hazel.H
29th Feb 2008, 04:39 PM
Yup i live here. Spring gardens to be exact. I rarely meet someone that comes from Scotland let alone the same damn city! What are the odds? 0.o

If you want a game of UT3 anytime add me as Tweakd . At least there will be no complaints about pings ;)
Indeed, didn't think there was anyone else on BUF within a couple of hundred miles of here :lol: Is that the unite place at spring gardens? I'm practically just up the road from there on george street! Do you go to RGU by any chance?

(sorry for the thread hijack) ;)

IronMonkey
29th Feb 2008, 06:09 PM
Indeed, didn't think there was anyone else on BUF within a couple of hundred miles of here :lol:
165 miles :)

Da Big Cheese
2nd Mar 2008, 03:34 AM
Newbie question I know, how do I get the custom map to appear in the game's main menu?

Tweakd
2nd Mar 2008, 06:25 AM
You put the map (.ut3 file) in :

my documents\my games\unreal tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

If you don't have some of those folders then you must create them ;)

Da Big Cheese
3rd Mar 2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the help :)

Nice map, feels like I'm playing classic UT deathmatch! Just a quick question tho, have you got any dynamic lighting in the map? Cos the lifts display as totally black when I run it...

Tweakd
3rd Mar 2008, 06:29 AM
In Beta8 the lifts are not lit unless you are on the highest settings, this will be fixed in the next version. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'm glad you like the map and thanks for checking it out. :)