UE3 - UT3 Using UT2K4 assets in UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scourgewarper

Sewn back together wrong
Jan 20, 2008
Bolton UK
I wish to transfer a number of textures and static meshes from UT2004 to UT3. With textures it's relatively straightforward; export to file, convert dds to targa then import into UT3.

Many moons ago I remember exporting static meshes from UT2K4 and editing them in max but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it. I needed a program to do it so if anyone knows which one let me know. Basically is it possible to export a static mesh from UT2K4 and then import it into UT3?

I have made a few custom static meshes in max for UT3, but for texturing them i've relied so far on applying materials i've made with UT3 stock textures. Will there be an issue of importing UT2K4 static meshes with their materials?

sWs»Cheapshot

Jan 20, 2008
Not sure but you can start with 3DBuzz.com and go to the video tutorials and look under the UT tuts... I know they incorporated a lot of Max tuts into them and importing and exporting were some of them.

You should also look at Hourences.com. He used the 2K4 engine and wrote some tuts on the subject of import/export.

And then there's the UnrealWIKI.

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
K to export the meshes you need to add the mesh to a "New" level.... that is open Ued get the mesh and add it into the solid world space... add nothing else and export the map (cant remember what filetype now but IIRC it was .obj . Then use you 3D program to import the .obj file. You will probably find some normals have flipped during the export so you will need to sort them out. If UT3 engine works the same way as 2k4 then just export your finished mesh as an .ase file and import into Ued.