So where does everyone hang out?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AcidSphinx

Feb 16, 2008
Near Byron Bay Australia
It wouldn't suprise me that there would be some sort of IRC, or VoIP where a lot of people hang out...
I was just wondering, any invites?
I am a newly registered user, but have been visiting for the past few years, about the time UT2K4 came out was when I first discovered these forums.
I am shifting away from RPG, and into FPS more and more everyday, been modding a fair deal since NWN1 first came out, prolly even before then I started with boulder dash construction kit :p
Anyhow, I am trying to learn a bit about the arts of making good maps, besides being a stranger in a strange land here, I really don't know a lot of people around BuF, something I am trying to fix with this post.
I got a deal to learn with modding UT2K4/3, when I first got UT2K4 (pre-ordered), I liked the toolset, but I never did much more than tinker, and I'll be damned if that is all I do with UT3.
I am handy with a few things, my background in modding speeds up the rate at which I learn, I know how to do most things with C#, I have written music with Renoise (totally not suitable for UT, but fit well with the RPGs I was working with at the time), I am fairly familiar with 3DS Max, and I seem to come up with decent textures from time to time also, all these things have been steering me to UT2K4, and about 3 weeks ago I baught UT3, something I am yet to look back on (though the BIK movie sequences had a bit of problems when I run them under Win XP).
Anyhow would love to fall in with some of the more serious modders around here, just to have a bit of real-time communication inbetween things (like right now, when I am considering what texture to use on a wall :()
TBH, I am not (imo) a talented player, mostly getting totally pwn'd when playing online, though I am passionate with artistic stuff, and would really love to make some stuff that is eventually getting used by the community, perhaps in the process learning to play this nali game.
Looking forward to meeting some of you, a few I will no doubt recognize (mostly from the wiki hosted here) from the years of visits I have made.
Also, being incapacitated, I am unable to keep a normal job, so I wind up with plenty of free time, and not enough money to fill in the gaps, half the reason I made this modding stuff an almost full-time hobby.
I'd like to eventually become a small asset to the community sometime, becuase I have sponged off UTs patrons for years, and never done much of my own stuff. I'm quite capable of doing forms in C++, but don't know enough of the finer stuff to really claim I know what I am actually doing with it, my style is more trial and error, with hours spent researching a really simple problem (this happens to often for me to really be interested in C++, but hey, I still got the basic idea of how to do stuff with it, in as much that it is similiar to C#, but not so much I could actually make complicated classes and interfaces with it).
Anyhow, I could rattle on for a long time bout myself, but the point is - I'd love to chat properly to a few regulars here, any specific questions about me can be done through the PM system, or I guess even this thread, though they might be a bit off topic.
Getting back to the point, is there any form of live chat happening with the UT scene, and yeah, invites appreciated ;)
EDIT: BTW, anybody thinking that I have one of the most obvious answers to this question, I will just take a moment to point out that I can't login :p

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
#Fragbu is where you want to go, to hang out. #Fragbu is also called the gay-hangout by some.
If you want to idle in a hardly active channel, where the main subject is talking about why UT3 sucks, then go to #Beyondunreal.

You could also try #Batcountry, if that's your taste.
Mind you, these 3 channels are on EnterTheGame, rather than Quakenet.