UWindow2 Development Blog

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Hi guys, looks like my old development thread got lost amongst the crash. Here's my latest progress.

UWindow2_010208.jpg

I finally finished rewriting the coordinate system. It now uses a object orientated approach to handling coordinates for every object you see on the screen. There are currently two coordinate systems, absolute and relative. Absolute is equivalent to pixel values essentially, where as relative is a percentage based system.

I also finished off writing the button component and the check box component. I am now going to work on the list component, which will then extend to a drop down menu component. A drop down menu component is simply a button with a hidden list of more buttons ...

Progress is good thus far.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Sheer awesomeness. :clap:

This could truly work out to something widely used, if done properly. I don't doubt the latter, though I'd definitely want to make sure it happens because it looks so bloody great. :D

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I think I noticed a typo, shouldnt those windows be called U Window not A Window :lol:

Good work man ;) looking forward to see this progress.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Great to see you're still making progress, the pre-crash thread on this (together with the Nali Cow one) was what convinced me that the BU forums are awesome :)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
Nice job. I like the background as well.
Thanks! The background was made by Crotale from Epic's UT forums.

I think I noticed a typo, shouldnt those windows be called U Window not A Window
Fixed.

Though I would request new buttons for it and a new smaller font.
I am thinking what exactly is the best approach for theme creation is. I have a few ideas, but right now I am not too concerned about it. When the project is more mature, I will start to allow other people to reskin it as well. I am merely using UT99's UI graphics right now since I can't be bothered spending a lot of time making my own right now.

UWindow2_050208.jpg

I finished writing the list component today. It allows both horizontal lists and vertical lists. Scrolling is not yet implemented as that in itself is a tricky thing to think about. I'll think about handling that a little later on. Since everything is a component (including the text you see), the list just handles components and orders them in a list like fashion. It wasn't too tricky to get right, but I am sure there will be more to do in future as the feature set of every component expands. Since I also do web development, certain aspects such as padding and margin might also make it into the UI feature set. That's about it for today, tomorrow, I will get looking at drop down list :)

Thanks for all the kind words and love! :D

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
UWindow2_070208.jpg

Started writing the edit box last night and finished it this morning (I had some sleep in between). Pretty much works like you'd expect an edit box to, you can type text, select text, use the home / end buttons. Somethings I will need to add later on is mouse support (for selecting and moving the selection), copy-cut-paste functions (ctrl-x, ctrl-c and ctrl-v).

I decided it was about time that UWindow2 started actually doing something, so I decided to make the console functional within UWindow2. The editbox is the first component that I needed, and the second is a 'paragraph' component, that's basically a label component capable of rendering blocks of text in a single call, instead of a single line of text (as most labels are just a single line of text). Some features that UWindow2 console will have are: history recall (by pressing up / down) of up to x items, auto-tab (a popular feature we see in Linux consoles) and possibly use coloured text to help with using the console.

If there is any other features you would like to see in the console, please let me know.

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
UWindow2_070208.jpg

learn how to make a correct image display ! :p

you sure progress fast !
history recall (by pressing up / down) of up to x items, auto-tab (a popular feature we see in Linux consoles) and possibly use coloured text to help with using the console.
:eek:
you, sir, are made of awesome !

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Nice :)
It would definitely need newer and more up-to-date graphics, but that can (and should) be done once it is finished and everything works.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
PLEASE make sure we can copy and paste IPs and such! It's probably already done if you can copy and paste text into the console, but it's the simple things like this that matter most.

Also, once this is done, this WILL become my standard GUI. I dislike the UT3 GUI (though not to the point some people do) but this thing is simply ridiculously better.

Sometimes progress really is just refining the old stuff, rather than a totally new thing from scratch.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
wow, you fixed the typo good job :lol: I wasnt being serious you know :p

Oh well, looking good there. Will you be doing a sizeable, scrollable console? or sticking with the drop down style like 2k4/ut3? Id prefer to be able to move it around and stuff actually and have it save the position.

As for other features I could think of, one might be snapping with the edge of the screen or other windows if its not too difficult. Im sure tabs are high up your list of things to do once you got the basic widgets out of the way.

A combo button thingo perhaps, the one which is like a checkbox but lets you select one out of a list. Dunno if this was in the original uwindows but does seem to be overlooked. Ummz ahah radio button is it called?

Perhaps a faster way of for doing groups of checkboxes and comboboxes like the 2k4 mutator interface hook. Id certainly add support for this interface in my mutators ;)

Well just some ramblings, to perhaps give you some ideas :cool: