PDA

View Full Version : TF2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Morety
28th Jan 2008, 04:18 PM
Anyone else been playing this game? Fun stuff.

Kantham
28th Jan 2008, 04:27 PM
Yes yes, and YES.

Anyone tried CTF_Well lately? Camping in their base getting health recovery by-pickups is fun while heavy. Went on a rampage.

Shadow
28th Jan 2008, 04:34 PM
Would if I had a computer worth more then a pile of crap.

Lafnboy
28th Jan 2008, 04:39 PM
I been playin' it on the 360. So addicting. Demoman ftw

SleepyHe4d
28th Jan 2008, 04:41 PM
Gameplay sucks imo, major spamfest. :(

Shadow
28th Jan 2008, 04:42 PM

isn't ut a spam fest as well?

Lafnboy
28th Jan 2008, 04:43 PM

omfg wtf u seigh abut UT?>!?!?11

Shadow
28th Jan 2008, 04:44 PM
omfg wtf u seigh abut UT?>!?!?11

well dont you spam your guns in ut as well? why are you taking such offense to that?

Mozi
28th Jan 2008, 04:46 PM
Love TF 2. Spies and Pyros kickass.

Have not played the game in long time, too much UT 3 and GoW.

Mister_Prophet
28th Jan 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm a Spy and Sniper addict. Cheap A-hole for the win :D

DeaJae
28th Jan 2008, 05:05 PM
Its a great addictive game, the comedy factor keeps me playing.

Sir_Brizz
28th Jan 2008, 05:16 PM
This is what turned me off, and the fact that a couple heavies and a medic can dominate an entire map.

UBerserker
28th Jan 2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, it's pretty good, but I'm not getting the fun as some weeks ago.

I stick with COD4.

Kantham
28th Jan 2008, 05:44 PM
This is what turned me off, and the fact that a couple heavies and a medic can dominate an entire map.

Not.

funkblast
28th Jan 2008, 05:57 PM

Kill the medic first. Then the Heavy.

Sir_Brizz
28th Jan 2008, 06:14 PM
By the time you kill the medic, the heavy has almost killed you so you can make a dent in the heavy just in time to die and have the medic come back and heal him while you're waiting to respawn! FUN!!! :D

Kantham
28th Jan 2008, 06:16 PM
I don't know what you're up to, but I never had that problem the 400 games I played so far.

SleepyHe4d
28th Jan 2008, 06:20 PM
Cause your team's doin it! :lol:

Well seeing as I don't like UT2k4 or UT3 that doesn't really matter and if you're talking about the original, well I haven't played it in a while so maybe it is, but if it is then it's not the random kind of spam. ;) ...or maybe it is and I won't like it if I tried it now, like I said I haven't played in a while.

Airmoran
28th Jan 2008, 06:22 PM
By the time you kill the medic, the heavy has almost killed you so you can make a dent in the heavy just in time to die and have the medic come back and heal him while you're waiting to respawn! FUN!!! :D
Err... you don't just stand there and soak up bullets. Heavies (and thus the medic) are very slow targets. As a soldier, you can very easily pop around corners and take out the medic without exposing yourself for long. As a scout, it's very common to jump in, take out the medic, and run out. In addition, without uber, the heavy-medic combo is useless against turrets, snipers, spies, what-have-you.

If the heavy and medic combo is dominating your team, either the combo is doing something very, very right or your team is doing something very, very wrong. Individual skill matters.

And oh, you're talking about how their team apparently has at least two medics and one heavy, while your team apparently doesn't have any medics. Maybe that's the problem?

Banoffee
28th Jan 2008, 06:31 PM
I only played a few games, but it was spammy as hell. Not the good kind of spam either. There were Demoman grenades and random rockets everywhere. And the most important thing was, I didn't feel like I was making a difference.

I know it's supposed to be team-based but a player should be able to accomplish at least something on their own. I dislike having to rely on team mates for everything.

About UT being spammy: You could call it that, but not nearly to the extent of a full TF2 server.

T2A`
28th Jan 2008, 06:40 PM
UT3 is much more spam filled than TF2. TF2 forces reloading on the "spammy" classes, and each class is good and bad vs. other classes... How spammy could it be?

Medics and heavies only dominate when a team doesn't know how to coordinate classes properly. Pick a spy, get behind the medic, and kill them both instantly with two backstabs. Not that difficult. Or snipe the medic in the head and the heavy will fall eventually, especially if a pyro gets near him. If you rush a heavy head on you will die. That's kind of the point.

Newbz!

Kantham
28th Jan 2008, 06:43 PM
It's only spam if you kill nothing!

Slainchild
28th Jan 2008, 06:47 PM
Cod4 > TF2.

But thats just because I prefer basic TDM and FFA modes to capture point flag return base hopping whatever.

ZenPirate
28th Jan 2008, 07:49 PM

*Very* fun. I've yet to not have a good time playing it. I like that it doesn't have a hard core feel to it. I can get killed and still be smiling.

Trynant
28th Jan 2008, 07:52 PM
Call me really crazy, but I like Unreal Tournament 3 over Team Fortress 2. Both are really great games, but UT3's crazy fast-paced action just wins me over the crazy slower-paced action TF2 offers.

Anyways, that's a whole other topic, I like TF2 a lot. I try to play as a class I suck at so I get a challenge. So I play a lot of Pyro, with some Scout to follow.

Does anyone have some advice on how to play the Pyro? He's a weird class for me.

Twisted Metal
28th Jan 2008, 08:20 PM

Just how many games have you played where heavies are dominating the map? I have yet to see this in my 40 something hours of playing. Heavies are absolutely useless at any kind of range, and they are very, VERY easy to pick off with a good soldier, sniper, spy, or even a demoman. And considering that pubs usually have more than one soldier per team, it would be a good idea to communicate to them and get dual rocket launcher attacks against any incoming medic/heavy combos.

If you go on the steam forums, you will notice that there are virtually no complaints against heavies being overpowered. The main complaint you will see there is soldiers getting critical rockets.

To Trynant:

As a pyro you want to be a sneaky bastard, like the spy. Hide behind corners where you know enemies will come out of. Never run directly into the open alone. Let your team charge forward and kill themselves while you hold off for a bit and wait for the opportunity to move up without being seen, or while the enemy is running for health.

Good news for pyros is that Valve is tweaking them so they will be rewarded not only for killing enemies, but damaging them as well.

T2A`
28th Jan 2008, 09:18 PM
They do get some reward for damage, so they can be useful for blitzing control points. A kamikaze rush setting multiple enemies on fire can weaken them considerably for others to pour in after you've died. Plus you might kill someone anyway.

The flamethrower is the most powerful close-range weapon in the game, so you should use it accordingly. The pyro has almost zero long-range capability, so don't ever rush into things straight or you'll get taken down easily. Ambushing is the name of the game. Even if you don't kill someone, being on fire often causes the enemy to retreat to find health or a medic. They can take down sentries quickly too, but you've naturally got to get close first.

Kantham
28th Jan 2008, 09:38 PM
I think Brizz complaining about the Heavies is just a way to let us know he doesn't like the game by adding a longer stance than "The game sucks" :-)

Sir_Brizz
28th Jan 2008, 10:10 PM
Just how many games have you played where heavies are dominating the map? I have yet to see this in my 40 something hours of playing. Heavies are absolutely useless at any kind of range, and they are very, VERY easy to pick off with a good soldier, sniper, spy, or even a demoman. And considering that pubs usually have more than one soldier per team, it would be a good idea to communicate to them and get dual rocket launcher attacks against any incoming medic/heavy combos.

If you go on the steam forums, you will notice that there are virtually no complaints against heavies being overpowered. The main complaint you will see there is soldiers getting critical rockets.
I've only played a half dozen games, but I've seen it in each one.

Av4tar
28th Jan 2008, 10:14 PM

HELL YES. i love TF2, it's easily the game of the year.

Kantham
28th Jan 2008, 10:31 PM
A spray I just made.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1156/seizurewarningye0.jpg

Thread (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=173907) | Flash (http://www.kantham.com/lol/facetehseizure.html)

hal
28th Jan 2008, 10:35 PM
No! I've been addicted to COD4.

B
29th Jan 2008, 02:23 AM

It's great fun, I'm an engineer most of the time. Nothing beats owning incomming enemies with a full upgraded turret. In combination with a dispenser and repairing it alot it's nearly indestructible.
I went wicked sick (I love the servers with the UT sounds) with 26 kills with 1 turret the other day :)

I really hate the spies though, how can u recognize them when they are in disguise?

T2A`
29th Jan 2008, 02:58 AM
There are several ways.

By their actions (or inaction, more accurately). They cannot attack or their disguise will drop. If someone's acting funny, shoot them, as only good things can come of it.
You cannot walk through them. If you bump into someone instead kind of of slide through them, they're a spy.
Their cloak will shimmer when they run into someone or get shot by a stray bullet.
They can be shot when disguised, so it's not a bad idea to randomly shoot your teammates if you're unsure. This works very well as a pyro.
They leave a team-colored trail behind them if they're stupid enough to teleport, and that color will not match your team's.

I think that's pretty much it. However, as an engineer you're at a disadvantage, especially since they can sap your sentries. Pyros are the best anti-spy class. If no one notices and allows a spy to get all the way back to you and your fully-upgraded turret, there isn't a whole lot you can do. That's what happens with "rock, paper, scissors"-style balance in a game. Uncloaked and undisguised a spy is not much trouble to take down, so after one attack they're pretty much done for if anyone is still alive near him.

B
29th Jan 2008, 07:06 AM

I thought repairing the turret/dispenser counters a sapping spy. If you succeed the spy will either die or he is an easy target for the turret or my shotgun.

Trynant
29th Jan 2008, 07:26 AM

I thought repairing the turret/dispenser counters a sapping spy. If you succeed the spy will either die or he is an easy target for the turret or my shotgun.

Same here, I find that a good Engineer safeguards his constructions, when he sees the sap placed he can identify the spy and shoot him down with a shotgun. The Spy can't fight back or he'll get wasted by Mr. Turret of Doom.

Twisted Metal
29th Jan 2008, 08:41 AM
As an engineer, you're gonna want to make use of that handy dandy wrench when those infinitely sapping spies come by. One or two swings usually does the trick, that wrench crits quite a bit.

Building in corners forces spies to stand in front while sapping, making that wrench kill even easier. You probably already know this, but before building, you can rotate the blueprints of the sentry, allowing it to point towards you which makes it easy to put deep into a corner.

Another way of identifying a spy is by name. Quite often the name tag of a player will be the same as mine. It doesn't get any more obvious than that.

Otherwise you should just shotgun check any players that have not directly come from the spawn room. Shoot them at least 2-3 times to make sure, spies don't bleed so you won't know if you're damaging them until you kill them. But if you really want to make sure, just run into them. If you get stuck, wrench that bastard. If you pass through, it's a team mate.

Mozi
29th Jan 2008, 09:45 AM
If you have a good team size does not hurt to spare a Pyro to guard Engineers and their sentry guns, as long as you got a dispenser you got a good supply of ammo and health.

Occasionally torch people of your team color that come near, sometimes they turn out to be spies. Other times just torching thin air will light up a cloaked spy trying to sap all the gear!

Funny thing, I fired up TF 2 last night and there was some douche medic healing the spies on our team. Don't understand why some people are retarded and blow the cover of friendly spies.

But it's always fun when an a lone enemy medic heals you while your in disguise then return the favor by backstabbing them... even funnier if you tell them you are spy like so... http://youtube.com/watch?v=29RE0blCV84 :lol:

Also the stuff from Team Roomba is hilarious: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

Kantham
29th Jan 2008, 09:52 AM
Spies are easy to spot and kill. The most obvious clue is the fact that you can't pass trough him, you shot or melee him for humiliation. Also, if one of your allies take cover when you shot him, that's a spy. And it's lol'able. If there's a bunch of your teammates in one spot with sentries and all that stuff, I recomend you use a scout and run around, you may often collide with some allies, just shot them and get a kill. I did that really often. Oh and the pyro is a spy killer. If you're playing spy, avoid them.

I got to resist some enemy fire when I played spy, I didn't move when the engineer shot me, so he went away thinking I was one of them, and I just killed him. He must have been upset.

... even funnier if you tell them you are spy like so... http://youtube.com/watch?v=29RE0blCV84

Yeah that video is kick ass. Reminds me of the game I had yesterday in CTF_well. I played as a spy disguised in Heavy, I was injured and called for medic support. The medic healed me. Then I just killed the medic and heavy standing in front of me, and ran away.

Kinda priceless.

I can confirm TM's word on the engineer's wrench being a pain for spies lol. Also another good thing to do when engineer, is to jump over your sentry when it got sapped, that way your chances of getting killed are really slim, and by the time you repaired your sentry, I don't think he'll want to get his colt out and shot.

UBerserker
29th Jan 2008, 10:44 AM
it's easily the game of the year.

Welcome to the 2008! :-)

Although the game can easily live for years.

ShredPrince
29th Jan 2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry if this is nubly, but what game is TF2?

Transforemerz2?:-)
Seriously though?

Mozi
29th Jan 2008, 11:04 AM
TF2= Team Fortress 2

B
29th Jan 2008, 11:08 AM
Spies are easy to spot and kill. The most obvious clue is the fact that you can't pass trough him, you shot or melee him for humiliation. Also, if one of your allies take cover when you shot him, that's a spy. And it's lol'able. If there's a bunch of your teammates in one spot with sentries and all that stuff, I recomend you use a scout and run around, you may often collide with some allies, just shot them and get a kill. I did that really often. Oh and the pyro is a spy killer. If you're playing spy, avoid them.

I got to resist some enemy fire when I played spy, I didn't move when the engineer shot me, so he went away thinking I was one of them, and I just killed him. He must have been upset.

Yeah that video is kick ass. Reminds me of the game I had yesterday in CTF_well. I played as a spy disguised in Heavy, I was injured and called for medic support. The medic healed me. Then I just killed the medic and heavy standing in front of me, and ran away.

Kinda priceless.

I can confirm TM's word on the engineer's wrench being a pain for spies lol. Also another good thing to do when engineer, is to jump over your sentry when it got sapped, that way your chances of getting killed are really slim, and by the time you repaired your sentry, I don't think he'll want to get his colt out and shot.

Wait, so if you're in disguise and you call for medic, you call the enemy medic? That's awesome :D

T2A`
29th Jan 2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah, you get an achievement for getting healed by an enemy medic. :-)

ShredPrince
29th Jan 2008, 11:19 AM
TF2= Team Fortress 2

Um, yeah I knew that:doh:

MonsOlympus
29th Jan 2008, 11:34 AM
Well first, I like this game alot but it needs more servers running mulitple maps. Seems since I took a break and came back to it theres alot more 2fort only servers, its not a bad map but I much prefer dustbowl I think it is.

This is the one area Im alittle dissapointed, CTF-Well is a nice little mod of the original its just a shame they didnt keep the trains. Im happy with orange box though, for the price I got many many hours Ive spent around 40 in TF2 all up I think.

Its not so much the heavies are overpowered in the medic/heavy combo, its the way heavies are used on the maps and the tactics associated. For eg, its not uncommon on 2fort to get a heavy medic combo upstairs, near the battlements, next to the spawn to distract the enemy while the team goes for a capture. The same could be said about dustbowl and demomen!

This is one problem I have with alot of games these days though is that its common for capture points to be on or far to close to spawns (TF2 or BF2 for eg). While theres an enemy pinning you down theres not much to the tactics you can use to defeat them, you know since you are being spawn camped by design. I put that more down to a problem amongst the maps but it is seen often enough to call a gameplay breaking feature.

Zarniwoop
29th Jan 2008, 11:39 AM
I've ordered the orange box, will probably try medic first.

MonsOlympus
29th Jan 2008, 11:46 AM
Medic is a good class hey, if not just for the healing but their needlegun is rather good and also the bonesaw which some people rip it up with :)

My favs are soldier and pyro I rekon, heavy is my least played :p

Kantham
29th Jan 2008, 11:51 AM
Yeah, you get an achievement for getting healed by an enemy medic. :-)

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8889/masterofdisguisess6.png

Morety
29th Jan 2008, 11:58 AM
You guys who are complaining about 'spammy' game play need to find a better server.

You oldtimers may remember the MyUnreal guys. There is a MyUnreal server going that I'm a regular on. It's great playing and seeing all the old names out and about again. If you're online playing, that server gets my highest recommendation. Here (http://www.myunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59) is the server location if you're interested in killing my sorry old ass :)

Make sure you add a |BuF after your name for old times sake.

This game's got quite a few of the old ]LoL[ crew together and playing a FPS again.

I also like UT3, but all the old timers playing TF2 got me hooked. And yes, I've FINALLY kicked the daoc habit and have let my account expire.

Twisted Metal
29th Jan 2008, 05:20 PM
Wait, so if you're in disguise and you call for medic, you call the enemy medic? That's awesome :D

The best is when the enemy medic ubercharges you. :D

Kantham
29th Jan 2008, 05:25 PM
The best is when the enemy medic ubercharges you. :D

I yet have to get this. :lol:

Morety
30th Jan 2008, 08:27 AM
As an engineer, I usually like to make a dispenser/turret combo with a tiny space inbetween them. What I'll do is crouch behind the turret so I don't die if a heavy/soldier come shooting at me. At the same time I repair the turret like a madman and hope I don't run out of metal before they die.

When it comes to spies, I try to remove the sappers from my turret first, then whack them with my wrench. It usually takes 2 hits to kill a spy. I also try to keep my back to the wall where possible to avoid getting backstabbed.

Here's the spray I made up. It reeks of guild pride :)

Trynant
30th Jan 2008, 09:11 AM
This is the one area Im alittle dissapointed, CTF-Well is a nice little mod of the original its just a shame they didnt keep the trains. Im happy with orange box though, for the price I got many many hours Ive spent around 40 in TF2 all up I think.

They did keep the trains. I nearly got run over by one whilst playing last night.

After getting back into the game I remember that playing as the Pyro is extremely fun when everything clicks. Flamethrowing sneak attacks are priceless :)

FaT CaM
30th Jan 2008, 09:41 AM
Everyone who plays it is way better than I am, no matter what class I go I get horribly slaughtered, and most players take it way to seriously and tend to be rude to others.

Looks good, but.

B
30th Jan 2008, 09:46 AM
As an engineer, I usually like to make a dispenser/turret combo with a tiny space inbetween them. What I'll do is crouch behind the turret so I don't die if a heavy/soldier come shooting at me. At the same time I repair the turret like a madman and hope I don't run out of metal before they die.

When it comes to spies, I try to remove the sappers from my turret first, then whack them with my wrench. It usually takes 2 hits to kill a spy. I also try to keep my back to the wall where possible to avoid getting backstabbed.

Here's the spray I made up. It reeks of guild pride :)

I try to build a dispenser and let it charge while I go back to get more metal from one of the spawnrooms. Then I build a turret and usually the dispenser has so much metal I can fully upgrade the turret at once and still have 200 metal after that.

Morety
30th Jan 2008, 11:23 AM
I try to build a dispenser and let it charge while I go back to get more metal from one of the spawnrooms. Then I build a turret and usually the dispenser has so much metal I can fully upgrade the turret at once ans still have 200 metal after that.

That's definitely the way to do it if you can. It depends on the turret location and the map, whether or not you're near a spawn room or metal supplies. I also watch for dead people so I can run over their weapons and get metal that way. It's risky though, since a guy just died there you could get shot...

[VaLkyR]Anubis
30th Jan 2008, 11:28 AM
No,I don't play it and I never played TF,only some hours.

Morety
30th Jan 2008, 11:54 AM
Cool, thanks :)

-Jes-
30th Jan 2008, 12:25 PM
Seen it, watched it, played it (for 10 min online).
Somehow botched my profile to only show stats from the first couple class test servers I made myself.

It just doesn't feel fun. Besides the style, there's nothing making me Want to play it.
There's really no play of strength here either. everything's pretty much WYSIWYG classes without nades and the more fun secondaries the classes had in the old days. No surprises, either.

And sadly, that's also how to make a game less fun. By nerfing everything Too much.

The teleporter pads are nice, though if mostly serving as a "fix" to defender-unfriendly mapping.

ilkman
31st Jan 2008, 08:32 PM
Its annoying and frustrating to deal with when you're involved, but when you're a third party just watching it can be the most hilarious thing ever.

TF2 griefing for lulz

Note language makes it Not safe for viewing at work, or home when impressionable youngsters or easily offendable significant others are around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUbUvzlvFw&feature=related

This one is brought to you by Team Roomba!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4

Moar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

And just for kicks and giggles some Insurgency griefing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4dfaylxz1A

Kantham
31st Jan 2008, 08:57 PM
Old videos. :p

FlashIV
13th Feb 2008, 12:15 AM
You guys who are complaining about 'spammy' game play need to find a better server.

You oldtimers may remember the MyUnreal guys. There is a MyUnreal server going that I'm a regular on. It's great playing and seeing all the old names out and about again. If you're online playing, that server gets my highest recommendation. Here (http://www.myunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59) is the server location if you're interested in killing my sorry old ass :)

Make sure you add a |BuF after your name for old times sake.

This game's got quite a few of the old ]LoL[ crew together and playing a FPS again.

I also like UT3, but all the old timers playing TF2 got me hooked. And yes, I've FINALLY kicked the daoc habit and have let my account expire.

I'm going to have to check this out. We also need to coordinate a night where we can get the "With friends like these..." acheivement :)

For anyone that I've not already befriended:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/flashiv

Big-Al
13th Feb 2008, 02:12 AM
oh i've been playing tf2 as well now by the way and i'm loving it!
(i bought the orange box over steam)

Pyro is my favorite character to be, and i play least as the engineer

BooGiTyBoY
13th Feb 2008, 06:31 AM
boogityboy on steam. add me and come join me on teh ATF clan server.

Pyro ftw!

Zarniwoop
13th Feb 2008, 06:54 AM
Got orange box a few days ago. I can already tell I'll be playing for a long time to come. I just love playing medic :D

Plutonia_Experi
13th Feb 2008, 06:59 AM
I would like to play TF2, but I decided to boycott the steam. I hate it.

BooGiTyBoY
13th Feb 2008, 07:08 AM
Then you're missing out on one of the best pc games ever made.

Plutonia_Experi
13th Feb 2008, 08:02 AM
Maybe I will reconsider :)

Just a question, does TF2 have bots support and can be played offline?
My internet connection sux :(

drakon
13th Feb 2008, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't... At least I'm not aware of it.

Dark Pulse
13th Feb 2008, 09:48 AM
I have the game (Thanks to GerbilJammer gifting me The Orange Box, for which I will have man-babies with him someday) but I've yet to play it. Got hooked up on Portal, then Puzzle Quest.

I'll probably give it a spin after HL2 Ep2, though, or perhaps play it a bit offline till I get a hang of the game before I leap straight online. :p

Kantham
16th Feb 2008, 01:02 PM
Just finished some icons if you guys want to use them.

http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/43340/2002087423180623402_rs.jpg
http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/43603/2002040825834186953_rs.jpg
http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/43399/2002023100120215189_rs.jpg

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/44245/2002078800531011527_rs.jpg
http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/41515/2002028912147811394_rs.jpg
http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/41515/2002009674275859660_rs.jpg

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/44258/2002095070830954350_rs.jpg
http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/42932/2002059369093171560_rs.jpg
http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/46068/2002010881728358873_rs.jpg

Flak
16th Feb 2008, 01:03 PM
Got bored with it after a week. I still play Fortress Forever though.

OB was still worth it though because of Portal.

Jonathan
16th Feb 2008, 01:17 PM
Just be an engineer, and let your sentry do all the work. :D

Kantham
16th Feb 2008, 05:33 PM
I just had a blast looking at this picture I found on the net.
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7205/1202179064718gm5.jpg

A good reason to purchase Garry's mod I guess.

T2A`
16th Feb 2008, 06:18 PM
Is that an Adriana Lima model? D:

Do want! :-)

Flak
16th Feb 2008, 06:26 PM

LOL that's awesome ^^

Da Spadger
16th Feb 2008, 06:29 PM
Got bored with it after a week. I still play Fortress Forever though.

OB was still worth it though because of Portal.

Yeah, that.

Took longer than a week before I got bored of it though.

Zarniwoop
21st Feb 2008, 04:27 PM
Woot! Just got sentry gunner achievement.

Kantham
21st Feb 2008, 05:03 PM
If there would be a "30 kill streak" achievement I'd have it. :-)
Gotta love the heavy.

Zarniwoop
22nd Feb 2008, 06:54 AM
Just got the Master of Disguise achievement. Stupid medic :D

Kantham
22nd Feb 2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks you just got me a new idea for a comic lol :-)

DeaJae
22nd Feb 2008, 11:37 AM
okay TF2's (or Steam) been pissing me off since the big update. Constantly downloading non existant updates and validating, just refuses to run.

Bort
22nd Feb 2008, 11:49 AM
My SteamID is Mexfrag.

I has been playing the game this week but after some time i get bored, been using Scout, Demoman and Soldier.

Zarniwoop
22nd Feb 2008, 05:04 PM
This video made me lol :lol:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CH4D7Uod4Cg

Kantham
22nd Feb 2008, 05:11 PM
So-so, the song made it even more valuable even though it was really annoying.

Kantham
22nd Feb 2008, 05:16 PM
Best. video. ever. (http://www.stage6.com/user/agent42/video/2084311/Spy-In-A-Pub)

Stilgar
22nd Feb 2008, 05:24 PM

The look on the spies face is priceless :lol:

Big-Al
29th Feb 2008, 05:54 AM
wow, latest steam update for TF2 has some Class balancing

* Reduced Soldier's maximum rocket reserve ammo from 36 to 16
* Reduced Demoman's maximum sticky bomb reserve ammo from 30 to 16
* Reduced Demoman's maximum grenade launcher reserve ammo from 40 to 24

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1464&

-Jes-
29th Feb 2008, 06:06 AM
* Reduced Soldier's maximum rocket reserve ammo from 36 to 16I can't say I didn't see this one coming. The Soldier literally had a SH#TTON of ammo.

FlashIV
29th Feb 2008, 07:23 AM
The Steam boards are blowing up. I'm going to have to give the new updates a try before I pass judgement. I use the demoman quite a bit, should be interesting.

Big-Al
29th Feb 2008, 07:29 AM
well it'll mean less rocket spam and less nade spam.

Zarniwoop
29th Feb 2008, 07:35 AM
Didn't play either of the classes regularly, but personally I never saw the problem with the amount rocket ammo, though the nade spam could get annoying.

facade
29th Feb 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm thinking about giving this game a go next week (I've had the Orange Box since November). Any good advice to try and dull the learning curve?

Big-Al
29th Feb 2008, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking about giving this game a go next week (I've had the Orange Box since November). Any good advice to try and dull the learning curve?

watch your back for spys, don't forget to call for medics, and keep behind cover! and shoot friendly team mates who you suspect of being spies. it won't hurt them if they arent.:)

facade
29th Feb 2008, 09:42 AM
watch your back for spys, don't forget to call for medics, and keep behind cover! and shoot friendly team mates who you suspect of being spies. it won't hurt them if they arent.:)

What would be the best class for a beginner? I've heard Scout or Soldier are pretty good, but Medics aren't bad either.

Thanks for the advice :):tup:

Kantham
29th Feb 2008, 10:17 AM
lol
lol

Keep it up.

-Jes-
29th Feb 2008, 10:22 AM
lol

Keep it up.

,, lol :mad:

FlashIV
29th Feb 2008, 11:54 AM
What would be the best class for a beginner? I've heard Scout or Soldier are pretty good, but Medics aren't bad either.

Medics are easy but you have to know what you are doing, or else you'll probably just make your teammates angry. You really need to use the voice chat if you play medic. Scout is pretty straight forward with his "shotgun", pistol, and double-jumping...he also counts as 2 people if standing on a capture point. Soldier would be another decent choice for starting out. More health than the scout and your standard issue rocket launcher and shotgun, he's really slow though.

I played a lot of the spy when I started out. You can go out on your own and don't have to worry much about teamwork. Though I started playing during the beta when spies were easy to play and it wasn't too hard to fool the enemy. Nowadays though, everyone (engineers and pyros in particular) are very paranoid and "spy-check" a lot.

Just keep an eye on teammates to see what they're doing. Where they're running, shooting, setting up sentries, etc...

Plumb_Drumb
29th Feb 2008, 11:58 AM
so most people who play TF2 have a team based mindset?
That would be such a breath of fresh air after COD and Onslaught.

God I'm sick of shoot everything without thought.
I want some nitty gritty tactics in my FPS for goddam once.
________
Nexium Settlement Information (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

T2A`
29th Feb 2008, 12:03 PM
Soldiers weren't the problem. It was all the Demoman! Seriously, every game I played I ended up against a wall of grenades and sticky bombs.

I haven't played the game in quite some time. Perhaps I'll give it another shot with this patch.

facade
29th Feb 2008, 12:13 PM
Medics are easy but you have to know what you are doing, or else you'll probably just make your teammates angry. You really need to use the voice chat if you play medic. Scout is pretty straight forward with his "shotgun", pistol, and double-jumping...he also counts as 2 people if standing on a capture point. Soldier would be another decent choice for starting out. More health than the scout and your standard issue rocket launcher and shotgun, he's really slow though.

I played a lot of the spy when I started out. You can go out on your own and don't have to worry much about teamwork. Though I started playing during the beta when spies were easy to play and it wasn't too hard to fool the enemy. Nowadays though, everyone (engineers and pyros in particular) are very paranoid and "spy-check" a lot.

Just keep an eye on teammates to see what they're doing. Where they're running, shooting, setting up sentries, etc...

Scout sounds like a winner to me, similar to the tech in XMP it sounds like.

Big-Al
29th Feb 2008, 12:42 PM
^well scouts don't pack a punch... and are weak. so they do have a downdite but feel like they are straight out of UT2004 :D

TF2 is a true team game!

SlayerDragon
29th Feb 2008, 01:01 PM
Well, I think scouts are pretty strong. The random crits are a pretty good equalizer in this game, and with the scout it can be fun to run circles around people and bash them with your t-ball bat. :D If a scout gets close to you it is pretty dangerous, I'd say. That scatter gun will do a number on you from up close.

My most used class is soldier because I'm basically too dumb to use other classes.

Airmoran
29th Feb 2008, 01:07 PM
Start as the soldier. The class is the closest to traditional DM gameplay. Usual rocket launcher rules apply: aim for feet, use splash damage. Just remember to be *always* reloading.

Soldiers weren't the problem. It was all the Demoman! Seriously, every game I played I ended up against a wall of grenades and sticky bombs.
You can dislodge and shove pipe-bombs out of the way by simply shooting them. At first it feels risky and unpredictable, but after a while you start noticing scenarios where you can safely disarm a pipebomb trap.

Zarniwoop
29th Feb 2008, 01:09 PM
The scouts baseball bat is extremely useful. Use your speed to flank the enemy then whack 'em round the head.

This video shows how scouts fit into the state of the game.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j59kujK004o

facade
29th Feb 2008, 01:36 PM
This video shows how scouts fit into the state of the game.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j59kujK004o

I just watched that not too long ago. The TF2 wiki (http://www.tf2wiki.net/wiki/Main_Page) is extremely useful for learning about the game. Scout looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

Big-Al
29th Feb 2008, 01:49 PM
I like the Pyro best :)

-Jes-
29th Feb 2008, 01:51 PM
"He won't be able to hit you with a rocket from a medium distance."

Obviously this scout "pro" hasn't met a worthwhile soldier throughout his play, as medium range is where I get most of my kills on scouts! :o

Seriously, the soldier who still uses shotgun up close in that vid is a surefire sign that the kid hasn't played any form of Quake/Unreal game ever, not to mention why isn't he JUMPING?
I believed that the promo videos Valve made with the jumping soldiers was enough to point out the effect of bouncing rocketslingers,but apparently not.

*Sigh* Has it really become so bad that we need tutorials on how to whack first-day newbies these days?

Twisted Metal
29th Feb 2008, 06:51 PM
wow, latest steam update for TF2 has some Class balancing

* Reduced Soldier's maximum rocket reserve ammo from 36 to 16
* Reduced Demoman's maximum sticky bomb reserve ammo from 30 to 16
* Reduced Demoman's maximum grenade launcher reserve ammo from 40 to 24

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1464&

:doh: What are you doing Valve?? You don't fix something that's not broken.

LedZep
29th Feb 2008, 07:01 PM
quick question about TF2

I got a 2.6 ghz dualcore intel, 9600 radeon standard edition, 1gig ddr1 ram, would I be able to run this game at 1280*960, 75Hz, with all settings low (except for player textures maybe?) at around 40 FPS average? (not go below 15 ever)

toniglandyl
29th Feb 2008, 07:03 PM
only 1 way to be completely sure...

if you don't like it, can I have TF2 ? é_____è

-Jes-
29th Feb 2008, 07:11 PM
(not go below 15 ever)On that rig? I doubt it.

9600's are getting pretty aged these days.

LedZep
1st Mar 2008, 04:31 AM
I'll probably get it once I upgrade my computer, which is gonna be after the warm season :p

SlayerDragon
3rd Mar 2008, 11:43 PM
Jackal and I went ahead and got a TF2 Server running. It's a 16 slot server located in Chicago, Illinois and hosted by Art of War Central.

http://module.game-monitor.com/69.12.92.105:27015/image/default/p:00FF00/ps:000/t:FF8F11/ts:000/h:FFF/hs:000/b:FFF/ha:CCC/tf2-03.png (http://www.game-monitor.com/tf2_GameServer/69.12.92.105:27015/BuF_Unite_TF2.html)

Right now it's pretty much stock setup, I have metamod and sourcemod installed so I can do some admin consoley stuff. Respawn timer is instant, but that can be changed. I'll be looking to set up map rotation and things of that nature in the next few days.

Please, feel free to join up and try it out!

EDIT: Oh, and if there are any issues feel free to hit me up in PM or on IRC in #fragbu or #bufunite or #beyondunreal. I'll have access to the server while I'm at work so I should be able to take care of stuff.

T2A`
4th Mar 2008, 12:13 AM
Neato.

Big-Al
4th Mar 2008, 09:44 AM
Jackal and I went ahead and got a TF2 Server running. It's a 16 slot server located in Chicago, Illinois and hosted by Art of War Central.

http://module.game-monitor.com/69.12.92.105:27015/image/default/p:00FF00/ps:000/t:FF8F11/ts:000/h:FFF/hs:000/b:FFF/ha:CCC/tf2-03.png (http://www.game-monitor.com/tf2_GameServer/69.12.92.105:27015/BuF_Unite_TF2.html)

Right now it's pretty much stock setup, I have metamod and sourcemod installed so I can do some admin consoley stuff. Respawn timer is instant, but that can be changed. I'll be looking to set up map rotation and things of that nature in the next few days.

Please, feel free to join up and try it out!

EDIT: Oh, and if there are any issues feel free to hit me up in PM or on IRC in #fragbu or #bufunite or #beyondunreal. I'll have access to the server while I'm at work so I should be able to take care of stuff.
i've added it to my favorites :)

-Jes-
4th Mar 2008, 09:55 AM
Could I suggest at least 4 seconds respawn?

Instant = Poo!

Kantham
4th Mar 2008, 10:02 AM
4 Second spawn is for pussies.
I'll give it a shot my good SlayerDragon.

SlayerDragon
4th Mar 2008, 10:21 AM
Could I suggest at least 4 seconds respawn?

Instant = Poo!

It's configurable and takes place immediately. I set it to instant because there were like 4 of us on the server last night. With full load, I'd recommend 4-5 seconds.

-Jes-
4th Mar 2008, 12:03 PM
It's configurable and takes place immediately. I set it to instant because there were like 4 of us on the server last night. With full load, I'd recommend 4-5 seconds.Ah, k.

Suspected it would be a restart-forcing change, but that's good to hear.

Yeah, full load is definitely at least 4sec requiring.

And shush Kantham. You can't ham anyhow. :o

SlayerDragon
4th Mar 2008, 07:40 PM
Join us! We are playing :D

SlayerDragon
4th Mar 2008, 08:26 PM
I keep seeing people join but not actually join the server, is there something going on?

Zarniwoop
5th Mar 2008, 05:03 AM
I keep seeing people join but not actually join the server, is there something going on?
Thats just because people are in the choose team/class menu's, they won't show up on the scoreboard until they start playing.

SlayerDragon
5th Mar 2008, 09:08 AM
Thats just because people are in the choose team/class menu's, they won't show up on the scoreboard until they start playing.

They show up as spectators during that phase. What is happening is the message "So and So has joined the server" shows up. Then I never see them as a spectator or playing at all. I know that FlashIV was one of these people. I just want to be sure that people aren't having issues with the server.

It's just a bit frustrating, the game is not really fun until you get a good number of people going. I mean all you can really do with 4 people is goof off or have really one sided games. :(

Zarniwoop
5th Mar 2008, 09:20 AM
Well, I tried joining the server and I got on fine, so it's not a server problem.

SlayerDragon
5th Mar 2008, 09:24 AM
Well, I tried joining the server and I got on fine, so it's not a server problem.

That's good. Nobody who was on complained. I am just worried there is a problem that only some people have that prevents them from actually joining.

I'm still in the process of learning how to actually admin the server, too. I just changed the MOTD but it looks like arse. Apparently when you change it, it loses the cool background. Or maybe that's just if you put HTML code in it. I am not sure. Either way, it's all a work in progress.

Kantham
5th Mar 2008, 11:40 AM
We should have a TF2 FBU, with a TF2 subforum.

Zarniwoop
5th Mar 2008, 11:57 AM
Sprays are awesome.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=29RE0blCV84

Kantham
5th Mar 2008, 12:11 PM
Mozi already posted that link.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=29RE0blCV84

SlayerDragon
5th Mar 2008, 04:28 PM
We should have a TF2 FBU, with a TF2 subforum.

As much as this would be cool, I do not wish to take people away from the very event that made me stay around these forums so long. I personally don't enjoy UT3 so I have been playing other games. I know a number of folks around here share the same opinion, and are playing TF2 for instance, and I'd like to attract that crowd. I like this community, I've been playing games with the #fragbu crowd for years now, so I wanted to attract people from around here who like to play UT3. I just don't want to interfere with events sponsored by the site.

T2A`
5th Mar 2008, 04:38 PM
It doesn't have to be anything official. As much time as people waste in IRC, certainly advertising a #fragbu TF2 get-together wouldn't be too difficult. Maybe after some interest is shown, it can start occurring on a specific night or two during the week and it'll end up as an OT sticky thread. :p

FlashIV
5th Mar 2008, 08:45 PM
I joined as spec the other night cause I couldn't play right away. I typed a couple messages saying I'd be on in an hour or so, maybe you couldn't see them cause I was spectating?

I'm a big fan of default respawns, unless of course there are only a few people playing like you mentioned. Here are some custom maps that I've enjoyed playing, maybe you can pick some out:

Control Point Maps:
-Switchback (http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/44242)
-Labor (http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/37889)
-Castle (http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/36321)
-Warpath (http://www.jigglysfunhouse.net/nukeevo/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=10)

CTF:
-Mach4 (http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/43802)
-Chaos (http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/47354)
-Turbine (http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/36292)

SlayerDragon
5th Mar 2008, 10:29 PM
I have played quite a few of those, I'm probably going to put some of those up. Definitely Warpath and Mach4.

Bort
6th Mar 2008, 12:28 PM
I check out the server tonight, lets have some UT players TF2 games o/\o

Kantham
6th Mar 2008, 12:42 PM
Hey SD. I added your server to my Favs, so I'll check out my server tab every time I start the game.

If you plan on adding custom levels I'd recomend this link here. (http://tf2maps.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
It's probably the biggest non-valve TF2 mapping community, I guess.

Mach 4 is a good one, but I'm not a huge fan of it, the flag should have 2 exits for me liking it more.
BTW, someone made a level inspired by UT2004 AS-Convoy. It's pretty damn decent.

SlayerDragon
6th Mar 2008, 03:41 PM
Sweet.

Well, let's get people on it tonight! I'm shooting for around 7:30 - 8:00 PM Eastern Time (GMT -5). I should be home and settled by that time and ready to frag! :D

Twisted Metal
6th Mar 2008, 04:45 PM
Control Point Maps:
-Warpath (http://www.jigglysfunhouse.net/nukeevo/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=10)

CTF:

Haven't played all of those, but Castle3 is excellent, despite being friggin HUGE! Great visuals. Labor is also quite awesome.

I must add that ctf_badlands_classic_b3e is a GREAT remake of a classic TFC map. Unfortunately not many servers are running it, and it's hard to find a populated game.

I really want a Rock2 remake, as do a majority of others. If you are not familiar, Rock2 is one of the best CTF maps in ANY game. It had a nice twist in that you had to bring a keycard into the enemy base, and when you brought it to the capture point it would seal you in this safe room and release poisonous gas outside, killing all of the enemies who failed to dive into the water or find a protective suit. From what I remember there were a very limited amount of protection suits, so quite often you would see the whole entire team desperately trying to grab one before dying. :D

I know of at least two planned TF2 versions, but who knows when those will come out.

SlayerDragon
6th Mar 2008, 09:29 PM
Needs more people! We're on now, please come join us!

Kantham
6th Mar 2008, 10:12 PM
Apparently steam servers are too busy to take my request, which is playing TF2. :con:
Sounds like I am in a little late too.

SlayerDragon
6th Mar 2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah we only had 4 people on for a little while. I got bored and left. the game is no fun that way :(

Morety
7th Mar 2008, 11:48 AM
What's your server's name?

I'm out of town over the next 2 weeks, but if I get a chance this weekend I'll hop in for a game or two.

Big-Al
7th Mar 2008, 11:56 AM
What's your server's name?

I'm out of town over the next 2 weeks, but if I get a chance this weekend I'll hop in for a game or two.

Morety, it's SlayerDragon's sig :) just click on his sig and you get a nice page about it and a "join the game" link on that page :)

Mozi
7th Mar 2008, 01:34 PM
Latest VG cat's Comic... http://www.vgcats.com/comics/

Silly Pyro... I wonder if there will be a meet the Pyro video :)

I'll have to join one of your games some time SlayerDragon what time do you usually play?

SlayerDragon
7th Mar 2008, 02:02 PM
Well, I'd say anywhere between 7-9pm to start, til I get bored of playing with 4 players :lol: (This is Eastern U.S. time, GMT -5)

Tonight, I hope to get more people, it being friday night and all. Then again I may have friends coming over or dragging me out so who knows?

Kantham
7th Mar 2008, 02:57 PM
Latest VG cat's Comic... http://www.vgcats.com/comics/

Me too. (http://www.kantham.com/tf2comics/004.html)

flo0tz
7th Mar 2008, 06:53 PM
TF2 is awesome. Not as fun as a ut3 ctf scrim for me, but a great casual game.
My top classes are sniper/soldier/scout/engineer. Sniper being the most satisfying - downing heavies in 1-2 shots.

What are everyones top scores?
My record is 30 points between deaths as a sniper. Only 17 kills, but 13 headshots.

Gundato
8th Mar 2008, 09:47 PM
I figure, since my birthday is coming up (and I got 60 points higher on my Physical Electronics exam than I thought I would) I would pick up a game. This is ignoring the fact that I purchased Soulstorm last week and am already planning to order a few older games I never picked up.

Anyway, the Orange Box comes to mind. But, the main selling point there is going to be TF2 (since I know Valve will force us to repurchase everything again in two or three years when Episode 3 comes out). I figure, Call of Duty 4 was like a defibrillator for the multiplayer gamer inside of me (I thought that had died with UT and XMP...), but I am sick and god damn tired of all the sniping and camping. Yes, I realize that this is a pseudo-realistic FPS and ambushes are important. I have no problem with people who stop in a spot to cap someone coming around the corner or defend an area. I am pissed off when kids camp behind a spawn and kill everyone, or when half the enemy team are snipers.

Err, that being said, I just have three questions for you guys regarding TF2

Are the ****ing snipers so god damned annoying that if you even pop your head up you are dead?
Is there any real sense of achievement with the achievement/statistics? I know there are no unlockables, but I still like the proverbial pat on the back for killing massive numbers of people. Just no fist bumping.
Are there any decent SWEPS for GMOD? I actually purchased Day of Defeat Source for GMOD, but there are no sweps that let me deploy my MGs (or are even remotely close to the guns from DoD). Not a major point, but it would be nice to have some more stuff to mess around with as I reeneact Starship Troopers (the movie), right down to the gratuitous shower scene where we get to look at Dina Meyers boobies.

Jordan L
8th Mar 2008, 10:00 PM
TF2 is pretty diverse. Snipers aren't really ever bad. If there are a lot of them, the opposing team will change classes most suitable to take on the snipers, until they thin them out a little. Theres lots of teammates on the mic, which keeps the game lively. A lot of the times, Teammates look out for you, and will tell you over the mic if someone is behind you, or approaching, ect...

Twisted Metal
8th Mar 2008, 10:34 PM
The sense of achievement comes from breaking through a really tough defense and winning the match. The actual achievements are laughable, any 10 year old can easily get them.

A professional sniper can be annoying if you are retarded. In 2fort for example, a really good sniper or two can do a pretty good job of holding you from crossing the bridge. But thankfully the design of the maps circumvents this problem by providing multiple routes into the enemy base. You need to take the sewer route. Problem solved. My whole point is that if you keep taking the same route that is guarded by the sniper, then you deserve to be headshotted over and over again. You gotta be unpredictable and switch up your routes.

FlashIV
9th Mar 2008, 10:59 AM
I love sticky jumping onto the battlements in 2fort and taking the snipers out w/my grumpy bottle :P

SlayerDragon
9th Mar 2008, 11:09 AM
I love sticky jumping onto the battlements in 2fort and taking the snipers out w/my grumpy bottle :P

:lol::tup: <3 Demoman

Random Elite
9th Mar 2008, 03:15 PM
Usually become a Pyro. Great on defense, and more satisfying than a Sentry Gun.

BURN!

T2A`
9th Mar 2008, 05:11 PM
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9218/1202878977994mo3.jpg

Twisted Metal
9th Mar 2008, 05:29 PM
^ :lol:

That would be amazing if that was possible.

Kantham
9th Mar 2008, 06:06 PM
It actually is, if you know how to use the heavy's main weapon. ;)

drakon
9th Mar 2008, 06:52 PM
It actually is, if you know how to use the heavy's main weapon. ;)

It doesn't fire homing rockets though ;)

Kantham
9th Mar 2008, 07:32 PM
Are they really homing? Or is it just an illusion since they seem to go in spirals.

Big-Al
10th Mar 2008, 04:51 AM
think it's an illusion, they do go in spirals though.

SlayerDragon
10th Mar 2008, 09:21 AM
Well, so far I haven't had much success getting people to play on the server. I'm also having issues with the server itself not doing what it's supposed to do. It always defaults to cp_well when restarted even though it's near the bottom of mapcycle.txt. I can't find a decent place for Team Fortress 2 server admins to get good information. The Steam forums are useless and full of bitching about the Custom tab.

If I were to, say, set a specific night we could all try to gather would that be good? Like maybe Tuesday or Wednesday night? I'm not generally available on the weekends anymore, but you guys are free to play on the server anytime you want. I like this gaming community, unfortunately I don't like the current iteration of UT :(

Kantham
10th Mar 2008, 09:40 AM
I think we'd need a scheduled time to play on your server. Mainly, just asking people to join the server on the forum when you're playing "Hey guys we're playing right now!" has shown ineffective.

SlayerDragon
10th Mar 2008, 09:51 AM
Well the best we've had on there is 5 people - 4 BUFers and a pub.

I'm going to shoot for Tuesday night TF2, at 8pm Eastern Time. Join #bufunite on irc.enterthegame.com for more information and a gathering place. If you have friends who play TF2, bring 'em along!

Big-Al
10th Mar 2008, 09:51 AM
^agreed

Kantham
10th Mar 2008, 09:54 AM
Tomorrow 8PM GMT -5:00? Fine with me.

Big-Al
10th Mar 2008, 10:14 AM
:( that's 2AM where i live, no wonder that server is always empty when i look

SlayerDragon
10th Mar 2008, 10:35 AM
I joined as spec the other night cause I couldn't play right away. I typed a couple messages saying I'd be on in an hour or so, maybe you couldn't see them cause I was spectating?

I'm a big fan of default respawns, unless of course there are only a few people playing like you mentioned. Here are some custom maps that I've enjoyed playing, maybe you can pick some out:

Control Point Maps:

CTF:

I have put these maps on the server. However, the map rotation doesn't seem to follow the mapcycle.txt file so I need to look into this. Resources for server administration for this game are not really good.

Tomorrow 8PM GMT -5:00? Fine with me.
Actually, it's GMT - 4 hours due to Daylight Savings Time in the U.S. At least until theirs kicks in or something. ;)

Mozi
10th Mar 2008, 10:59 AM
I hate it when people don't listen during a game...

In a game I played last night, I requested an engineer to set up a dispenser and turret on the last control point so that me and my buddy could torch the surrounding area constantly light up some spies.

Douche bag ran past us each time he respawned to go die again...

Though we constantly kept torching and running back for ammo at the resupply, we eventually got back stabbed... and lost the point thus losing the round. :(

Next round we had a better engineer that listened and actually helped the team than doing his own thing...

Anyways... I am usually online now more often (Due the lack of UT 3 and GoW online games). I saw Kantham on the friends list last night but to tired to start another game. Arranging a time is good but I'll probably miss it. So if you see me online and want to play just shoot me a message. Steam ID is mozi.ld. I'll join up if I am not in a game already.

Zarniwoop
10th Mar 2008, 12:23 PM
:( that's 2AM where i live, no wonder that server is always empty when i look
It's 1AM for me :(

SlayerDragon
10th Mar 2008, 12:39 PM
Well, if you European chaps want to organize your own play time on the server that would be fine by me :)

Jordan L
10th Mar 2008, 01:14 PM
NeoNite :confused:

Gundato
10th Mar 2008, 02:59 PM
I found someone who was willing to buy HL2 and Ep1 for 10 bucks. Well, actually, I kind of forced him to buy it in exchange for paying me for tutoring him (I am offended by the concept of being forced to pay for a game I already own), so I am going to be purchasing the murderer box sometime today or tomorrow.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try and join you with my horrid n00bishness.

Kantham
10th Mar 2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah Mozi, I once played engineer, and did almost every request some team players asked me, I think 3 random players send me a friend request after the match. So it's a common thing to appreciate a good engineer lol.

What pissed me off the most so far is a spy busting my teleport slot, like for example, you're a heavy that urge to take position in the enemy sewers where the teleporter end is, and that ****ing spy comes in and bust your place. A spy using teleporters is basically like a retard with a flashy "I'm a spy FYI!" banner over his head.

Mozi
10th Mar 2008, 03:58 PM
A spy using teleporters is basically like a retard with a flashy "I'm a spy FYI!" banner over his head.

It's just as bad as medic's healing friendly spies as they sneak around the level... look here is our spy, get him!

FlashIV
11th Mar 2008, 05:37 AM
I was getting some packetloss or some type of lag when I jumped on the other day. It was empty and I was just running around 2fort. I was trying to do some sticky jumps but my timing was way off for some reason. Occaisionally the grenades would shoot a half second or so after I clicked and running around the map just felt wierd in spots. I think my ping was about 40. I'll have to check it out again, hopefully when there are some people on.

SlayerDragon
11th Mar 2008, 09:26 AM
I was getting some packetloss or some type of lag when I jumped on the other day. It was empty and I was just running around 2fort. I was trying to do some sticky jumps but my timing was way off for some reason. Occaisionally the grenades would shoot a half second or so after I clicked and running around the map just felt wierd in spots. I think my ping was about 40. I'll have to check it out again, hopefully when there are some people on.

You were on while I was uploading the maps to the server :D

Just a reminder, I'm trying to organize people to get on the server and play around 8pm EDT (GMT - 4 for the time being) tonight!

Kantham
11th Mar 2008, 10:30 AM
It's just as bad as medic's healing friendly spies as they sneak around the level... look here is our spy, get him!

Yeah, I had to write down once to that medic who was healing me asking him to stop. Sometimes they do it to me when I'm on the bridge in 2fort, then release it before I enter the enemy base, it's a little risky for the extra health. And pretty much useless overall for the fact that once you're spotted you're basically done or you get your way out alive trying to find a safe place then get another camo.

Kantham
11th Mar 2008, 08:04 PM
Aye, crap, I completely forgot, I'm joining now.
EDIT: Server crashed. :confused:

SlayerDragon
12th Mar 2008, 03:24 AM
Not sure at what point that way, but I restarted it once and one of the map changes made it restart instead of just loading a new map.

Kantham
12th Mar 2008, 09:15 AM
Ah ok then. That was it (We were playing CP_Well). GGs, I had a few lag issues but the server was alright. We just need to get some more nights like this, could be fun.

SlayerDragon
12th Mar 2008, 09:37 AM
Ah ok then. That was it (We were playing CP_Well). GGs, I had a few lag issues but the server was alright. We just need to get some more nights like this, could be fun.

Agreed. I am going to submit a ticket about a couple of things. My biggest issue is that if I send an rcon command to restart the server the damn thing takes 2-3 minutes to come back up.

Anyway, good times last night! It was good to get people up and running on the server. Between the BUF crowd and my roommate and some of the members of his clan we had I guess 9-10 people playing which was good. I'd like to make this a weekly thing if not more, at least Tuesday nights :P

Gundato
12th Mar 2008, 11:12 AM
It was rather fun. Shame you scheduled it between two episodes of NCIS.

SlayerDragon
12th Mar 2008, 11:13 AM
DVR lol ,,:mad:

Gundato
12th Mar 2008, 11:49 AM
Those cost monthly moneys.

Plus, if there is one thing the VCR and having broadband taught me, it is that I need the structure of specific timeslots. For crying out loud, I had to watch five episodes of Stargate Atlantis to catch up for last week's season finale. I still haven't watched the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Twisted Metal
12th Mar 2008, 06:07 PM
I still haven't watched the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

You don't want to, that show is terrible. :tdown:

MrMan
17th Mar 2008, 09:15 AM
Well I downloaded the torrent for TF2 and its awesome. ( wanted to make sure it worked well B4 I ordered it from newegg.com ) Looks great on my Geforce 8800 GTX 768 OC DX10 card. Its nice To See My Card Using DX10 Grafix unlike UT3. I just pre-ordered it at Newegg $27 Bux. Wont be released till 4.8.08 but I cant wait. I just hope it does not have the same type problems UT3 had that would be a bummer at release time. ( so far the torrent worked great! ) Looks like I finally found a game that will replace my UT3........YEA BUDDY!!! :lol:

Here are some HD videos on the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/3034.html?id=3034

P.S. it also has a CTF gametype ya baby!!

It even has a CTF-Convoy Map just like UT2k4

check it out here

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/45247

Cya

Kantham
17th Mar 2008, 09:42 AM
Here are some HD videos on the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/3034.html?id=3034

P.S. it also has a CTF gametype ya baby!!

It even has a CTF-Convoy Map just like UT2k4

check it out here

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/45247

Cya

Welcome to a few pages ago.

SlayerDragon
17th Mar 2008, 09:46 AM
Well I downloaded the torrent for TF2 and its awesome.

:mad: NO.

Also, just buy the game on steam ffs.

MrMan
17th Mar 2008, 01:01 PM
:mad: NO.

Also, just buy the game on steam ffs.

Guess you missed that part where I said I just pre-ordered it on NewEgg.com for $27.99 bux :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832130087

SlayerDragon
17th Mar 2008, 01:02 PM
Guess you missed that part where I said I just pre-ordered it on NewEgg.com for $27 bux :lol:

Right and that won't be out for a while. Whatever.

Twisted Metal
17th Mar 2008, 01:43 PM
Actually the newegg link he posted is a preorder. But what's the point? Just get it from Steam or buy the Orange Box in stores if you need a physical copy.

-Jes-
18th Mar 2008, 07:27 AM
Th-Th-The-he-e R-Rub-ubb-bber-erba-ban-ndi-din-ng-g-g!-!-!-!

DeaJae
18th Mar 2008, 07:33 AM
Damn good tactic i saw last night invovles friendly spy dragging enemy medics into your base's turret zone.
The guy must of been good as he got the same medic to follow 3 times.

MrMan
18th Mar 2008, 10:49 AM
Actually the newegg link he posted is a preorder. But what's the point? Just get it from Steam or buy the Orange Box in stores if you need a physical copy.

FYI Dude It's "NOT" a downloadable version. Its a hard copy just like you buy in the store fo $50 bux in an Orange Box

Cya ;)

Airmoran
18th Mar 2008, 11:23 AM
You're not getting a fancy manual nor are you really getting anything you can't make yourself with Steam's backup utility. If you're on bandwidth limits, which you clearly aren't if you already pirated the game, then it might make sense to buy a copy on disk.

Otherwise, you're either really obsessed with the need for some physical representation of your purchase or you're better off playing the game now for 2 bucks more.

Zaccix
18th Mar 2008, 12:39 PM
A mate sent me a link to this: Pyromaniac Tribute Song (http://www.pyrorockstar.com/2008/03/12/pyro-maniac-tribute-song/). I laughed, because it's actually quite good. :D

Edit: Also found this video (http://www.vimeo.com/744871/) on the same blog. Genius. :lol:

Evill_Bob
18th Mar 2008, 12:57 PM
It needs bots.

Oh and any and all problems can be immediately or eventually solved with fire.

Agent_5
18th Mar 2008, 01:10 PM
You're not getting a fancy manual nor are you really getting anything you can't make yourself with Steam's backup utility.
You don't get that with the retail versions of valve games either :-)

Gundato
18th Mar 2008, 01:31 PM
FYI Dude It's "NOT" a downloadable version. Its a hard copy just like you buy in the store fo $50 bux in an Orange Box

Cya ;)

You have never bought a game that uses Steam, have you?

Your hard copy probably won't even be used in the install aside from running the .msi file (since those are teh securezrozrzorzorzorzo). You will still be downloading ****. And, in a week or two after release, your copy will be worth **** since a patch will be out.

Evill_Bob
18th Mar 2008, 01:34 PM
You have never bought a game that uses Steam, have you?

Your hard copy probably won't even be used in the install aside from running the .msi file (since those are teh securezrozrzorzorzorzo). You will still be downloading ****. And, in a week or two after release, your copy will be worth **** since a patch will be out.

I just install from disc. It's a lot quicker.

Gundato
18th Mar 2008, 01:35 PM
I just install from disc. It's a lot quicker.

Aye, but you still have to patch the ****. And, in all honesty, I find just right-clicking and downloading it in steam to be easier than swapping discs and what not.

Evill_Bob
18th Mar 2008, 01:41 PM
Aye, but you still have to patch the ****. And, in all honesty, I find just right-clicking and downloading it in steam to be easier than swapping discs and what not.

I live no where close to a decent internet provider so the time it takes to download is usually several hours. I prefer fifteen minutes of disc swapping with a few minutes of updates.

Gundato
18th Mar 2008, 01:46 PM
Ah. In that case, you are a filthy whore with a ****ty internet connection. Go kill yourself :p

/me humps his cable modem

Evill_Bob
18th Mar 2008, 02:11 PM
Ah. In that case, you are a filthy whore with a ****ty internet connection. Go kill yourself :p

/me humps his cable modem

Your grasp on etiquette is astounding.

Anyways, that's the reason I like bots. Crappy connections, not everyone lives near a city.

Gundato
18th Mar 2008, 02:19 PM
I like bots mainly because I don't feel like being called a "gay ****** faggot" every time I join a game. Although, if anyone knows a way to make the bots in CS:S say that, I will worship you.

Kantham
18th Mar 2008, 02:33 PM
Bots in TF2 would probably be one of the hardest AI to code correctly from all the games on the market ATM. The spy would be a good example of this.

Gundato
18th Mar 2008, 02:58 PM
Not really. Even the spy wouldn't be too hard, if only because the rest of the bots would seem just as awkward.

Mozi
18th Mar 2008, 03:03 PM
Is there a new game mode coming for TF2? My buddy was talking about it the other day something about moving a mine cart to one end of the map or something, mode is called Gold Mine or Gold Rush?

Any info on this or just lies and speculation?

Zarniwoop
18th Mar 2008, 03:07 PM
Arrgh! I hate crit rockets! :mad:

Zarniwoop
18th Mar 2008, 03:11 PM
Is there a new game mode coming for TF2? My buddy was talking about it the other day something about moving a mine cart to one end of the map or something, mode is called Gold Mine or Gold Rush?

Any info on this or just lies and speculation?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/23/team-fortress-2-to-get-unlockable-weapons-new-game-mode/

Bort
18th Mar 2008, 03:17 PM
Arrgh! I hate crit rockets! :mad:

Ya, every time im playing as Scout comes a Soldier and finishes my streak with a crit rocket

SlayerDragon
18th Mar 2008, 03:22 PM
Learn to dodge, noobs :D

Mozi
18th Mar 2008, 03:33 PM
Do a barrel roll! And learn to dodge!

Evill_Bob
18th Mar 2008, 03:33 PM
Bots in TF2 would probably be one of the hardest AI to code correctly from all the games on the market ATM. The spy would be a good example of this.

If Xan can shoot me in the ass with a chaos black hole gun then a bot can play a spy. It's not as if it really requires complex behavior code, there are clear cut things to do and things not to do as a spy. Of course Valve has been been kind of horrible at AI programming so I guess for now it is out of the question.

Airmoran
18th Mar 2008, 03:47 PM
You're kidding, right? The spy is nothing *but* a game of psychology. Sure you can act like an enemy team member, but when humans constantly run spy checks on everyone (be it looking out for suspicious behavior or just shooting anyone who runs by), a spy incapable of understanding these... checks... would be outed in a second.

From a research standpoint, recreating a remotely interesting spy is technology that doesn't exist. We don't have the algorithms. We don't have any mathematical models that can organically represent human psychology. It's one thing for bots to recreate combat. It's not just an entirely new ballgame for AI to understand human psychology, but it's practically a non-existent one. What you're asking for is the stuff of science-fiction.

Come to think about it, AI just smart enough to tell if you are a spy or not based on your behavior is already pretty impressive work. It'd be worth at least a dissertation or two.

And oh, unless I've missed something, Valve's AI is traditionally top notch. Half-Life pretty much introduced enemies that wouldn't blindly run around corners but flush you out with a grenade while flanking you. HL2's human enemies were both interesting and capable of putting up a tough fight. CS's bots aren't half bad, either.

Kantham
18th Mar 2008, 03:56 PM
If Xan can shoot me in the ass with a chaos black hole gun then a bot can play a spy.

What kind of uber false conclusion is this?

Mozi
18th Mar 2008, 04:20 PM
TF 2 with bots would suck... I used to play CS with bots and boy was that painful... if I made a mistake and got shot in the ass I am out, but the bots keep playing and those retards camp for 30 min + !

Same for TF 2 the bots could technically work but that sense of team work that humans can do will be lost. I would hate it if I had medic bot just uber me each time it was 100% there are times when you save the uber for tactical advantage.

There are plenty of other examples of where bots would fail. Another example I can see bots failing at is control point defense, setting up turrets, dispensers, patrolling pyros, ideal sticky bomb placements from the demoman, medic support, etc.

To many cases to check, but human players if they play as team can cover most of the possible scenarios that can be done in terms of defense and offense. I doubt bots would gather up a couple of heavies and medics for a coordinated uber rush from every possible attack path.

Yeah the spy as bot would be hard, just to many cases that need to be checked and coded that human players instinctively do. I have come across some really sneaky spies that blend in so well. A bot Spy I think will be easy to pick out of a crowd much like the noob spies on some servers. But even the noobs do a better job than any Spy AI would in my opinion.

Mister_Prophet
18th Mar 2008, 04:24 PM
I always looked at the inclusion of bots as a courtesy. In some games it makes perfect sense and in others (like UT) it's practically mandatory. I don't think TF2 applies to either. I mean it comes bundled as a bonus with a bunch of other SP games for starters, and the game mechanics don't really make for a real necessity for bots.

Still, a bot that was smart enough to out-spy human players....well that's just scary.

Evill_Bob
18th Mar 2008, 04:56 PM
What kind of uber false conclusion is this?

Yes letís just assume it's false shall we? Common, a spy would have to have an AI script unique to the rest of the units in game and sometimes its own pathing but it could be done. Granted it'll never be able to compare to a human but at least it's something when the internet is down. And don't give me that "oh what about turrets?" bull. Sentinels from the UT2k4 mod could easily be controlled by bots. They may not place them in the best positions nor will they go dispenser happy but it's once again something. Also I'm pretty sure finding a heavy is not a very difficult task for an AI Medic nor is activating an uber charge in pre-designated areas. Sure the AI code will take time but if Lucas Arts can make a passable attempt so can Valve.

Seriously, look at Star Wars Battlefront 2. Sure the AI was retarded and online play sucked but the core of what TF2 needs is there. Snipers remained at range and tended to find high ground with lots of visibility, spies remained invisible until time to attack, medics/techs threw health and ammo at you, etc. It would be passable, and that's really all that's needed here.

Lucas Arts made an AI system that could work for TF2, f&!?ing Lucas Arts. They are not the kings of AI. They barely qualify for the Special Olympics of AI. They made sith that ran off ledges and kill themselves because they were trying to attack you thirty feet below. They made TIE Fighter pilots that didn't understand the concept of "someone is shooting at you." It is possible.

-Jes-
18th Mar 2008, 05:38 PM
Bob, those are at a much more basic level, but yes.

Given enough cpu time, AI 'can' mimick humans well enough to play TF2.
However, it relies strongly on AI "experience", which..

..We have about a few thousand users able to provide it with on a daily basis.

Gundato
18th Mar 2008, 05:49 PM
Bob is definitely over-simplifying it. But I think the industry has made AI seem a lot more complex than it needs to be for one reason: money.

More and more, arena-style games are about competition more than relaxing. Even with UT people generally said to use bots to train and then to play people online for fun and what not. So why waste your time making quality bots? But rather than say "We don't want to waste time and money", propagate the myth that AI is REALLY REALLY complex even in its simplest form (walk around the map, shoot **** if you see it). And then the community itself propagates the myth because it makes it easier for mod teams.

I doubt anyone really expects amazing AI for TF2, but even just AI on par with the CS:S bots would be spectacular. Then again, I love those bots. If I could **** them in the ass, I would.

-Jes-
18th Mar 2008, 06:03 PM
The CS:S bots are definitely overzealous campers, but they are adept in more aspects than are seemingly visible.

Now a truly magnificient AI... Would be the Action Quake 2 CGF AI. Sadly, the website is long gone, but that sucker of an AI was IMMENSE. Didn't feel like players, but certainly could outwit them.

MrMan
19th Mar 2008, 06:15 PM
I really Like TF2! Its awesome. Canceled my order at newegg.com. Went to Walmart to buy it and have played it for last 12 hours if freaking awesome. Love the DX10 grafix the custom maps are small ( 5- 16 max from what I have seen ). Alot more players play the game. More players than empty servers unlike UT3. VOIP is really good and clear. Love the CTF gamplay. Alot better than UT3. Well my UT3 Server will be up for the next 45 days then my server contract will expire. I wont renew my UT3 server thats for sure.

Good luck all.

Now to go play TF2 for some real fun muhahahahaha :lol:

Big-Al
20th Mar 2008, 02:26 AM
lol some custom maps have 32 -33 players, and it's all DX9.

SlayerDragon
20th Mar 2008, 09:26 AM
The game is definitely fun with a good size group of people playing. I'd argue that 32 is too many for most servers. 20-24 seems to be a sweet spot, some of the more popular maps are just too small.

Zarniwoop
20th Mar 2008, 12:13 PM
24 player servers are my favorites, it just feels right no matter what map your on.

Kantham
20th Mar 2008, 12:32 PM
I really like the game but lately I've been hooked to CoD4 more. Whenver I play TF2 again, CTF just feels like it's a TDM match. Basically, almost everyone is on their own, and team communication are weak.

I'd like to join a TF2 mature clan who plays the game competitively, scrims and stuff like that so I could enjoy the game by the way it's meant to be played. Most of the maps are wayyyy to hard to capture in too. I think it's probably the main flaw.

I'd like to see the flag return Faster maybe, with more paths to escape, oh and please, remove the flag compas. It's just silly to know where your flag is, even when the enemy is taking it away.

SlayerDragon
20th Mar 2008, 12:35 PM
I can't see myself playing competetively but I'd like to get this BuF community to the point where people play regularly and we get enough people to play with organized teams and tactics, etc. Might be a pipe dream, but it's worth a shot.

Zarniwoop
20th Mar 2008, 01:51 PM
I wish there were more europlayers.

MrMan
12th Apr 2008, 08:33 AM
Is so good I put up a server called:

||| Pyros Kick Ass Control Point Maps Only Server:

Map List:

cp_orange_x4
cp_dustbowl
cp_shock
cp_roswell
cp_warpath
cp_carpo_b3
cp_broma_b5
cp_mini_canyon
cp_gravelpit
cp_badlands

Sudden Death Scout Melee With BaseBall Bats lol

Now Whats really Kool is when you into Sudden Death The Original theme song of Mortal Kombat plays the full 3 min music.

It also has fast respawns

Check it out! This is a fun Server and Game. I dont play UT3 as much anymore. Its is more fun than UT3 thats for sure!

Munchables
12th Apr 2008, 09:58 PM

Not if a spy creeps behind the heavy, disguised as a medic, then they're all screwed. :D

Twisted Metal
12th Apr 2008, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see the flag return Faster maybe, with more paths to escape, oh and please, remove the flag compas. It's just silly to know where your flag is, even when the enemy is taking it away.

You complain about most maps being way too hard to capture, then you go on to say return the flag faster? :con:

Maybe you were talking about CP only, but the flag counter in CTF has been that way since TFC and probably even the original Quake version of TF. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! One minute flag timer keeps the map dynamic, it forces the enemy team to defend a new location, and forces your team to push to the new location. That's what I like about CTF compared to CP, it's much more dynamic.

And the flag compass serves its purpose as well. It keeps the game intense knowing that the enemy is right on your tail the second you grab the flag. I mean sneaking away and totally bypassing the enemy is cool and all, but there's no action in that. Part of the challenge is escaping the enemy base alive with the enemy on full alert and aware of your position. That's how I see it at least.

Just my opinions of course. ;)

Twisted Metal
19th Apr 2008, 12:13 AM
Bump - Meet the Scout hot off the presses! Bonk! :D

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Meet_the_Scout/

Airmoran
19th Apr 2008, 12:42 AM
Wow. I thought Scout was more of a homegrown boy scout, not Vanilla Ice.

Awesome. :eek:

Zarniwoop
19th Apr 2008, 02:58 AM
I was worried they'd stopped making them, awesome stuff.

Big-Al
30th Apr 2008, 12:55 AM
Team Fortress 2: Gold Rush Update Available Now
April 29, 2008, 5:59 pm - Alden Kroll

The Team Fortress 2: Gold Rush Update is now available, free to owners of Team Fortress 2 via Steam. The Gold Rush Update introduces the new Gold Rush map and Payload gameplay style, the first set of unlockable weapons, and a new set of achievements for the Medic.

In other TF2 news, a worldwide Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend will begin Friday at noon PDT, and will include access to the new content released today in the TF2: Gold Rush Update. Using the functionality made available through Steam and Steamworks, all of the files needed to join the Free Weekend are available for pre-loading now.

The Free Weekend is open to players around the world, and there is no obligation to purchase to participate; all that is needed is a Steam account to join.

To start pre-loading everything you need to play on Friday and learn more about Team Fortress 2, please visit www.steamgames.com/goldrush

\o/

flo0tz
30th Apr 2008, 04:57 AM
So who else used the console command to unlock all the medic stuff?

Slainchild
30th Apr 2008, 05:35 AM
So who else used the console command to unlock all the medic stuff?

...:lol:

The new map seems cool. :)

FlashIV
30th Apr 2008, 05:36 AM
If you want the new weapons but still want to go for the other achievements just use these:

achievement_unlock TF_MEDIC_ACHIEVE_PROGRESS1
achievement_unlock TF_MEDIC_ACHIEVE_PROGRESS2
achievement_unlock TF_MEDIC_ACHIEVE_PROGRESS3

Zarniwoop
30th Apr 2008, 07:15 AM
I haven't managed to play through the whole map yet, my internet keeps dying. It seems pretty fun though.

Big-Al
30th Apr 2008, 07:52 AM
just went on a server to see the new map, sweet concept but... half of each team were medics :/

pine
30th Apr 2008, 08:31 AM
Been playing a lot of TF2 lately, almost always scout, soldier, or medic (sometimes demo man). I love the scout's character lol. They really captured the tough eastern USA urban kid. The way each character in TF2 has a really unique look and personality is one of my favorite things about the game. The new "meet the scout" video is just a gorgeous piece of machinima too, definitely the best I've ever seen in a game engine.

New medic abilities sound good. Despite how crucial medics are to winning on a server with more than 6-7 players, you still get teams sometimes where nobody wants to play medic.

Bort
30th Apr 2008, 10:24 AM
Playing at the moment is kinda dumb since 3/4 of the teams are medics, but on the bright side you get more easy kills.

Fuzzle
30th Apr 2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, the current situation is giving me a really sour taste for the whole game. The whole thing seriously went from "just silly fun with a surprising amount of depth" to "grinding achievements" overnight.

What's also funny is how easy it is to cheat it. All you need to do is input the console command to earn *all* unlocks.

I just played a few games where the teams had 4-6 medics each. There was a couple of times where I did near 900 damage but got no kills. It's just ridiculous.

SlayerDragon
30th Apr 2008, 12:45 PM
I'm sure the achievement grind will let up soon enough.

Man I'm going to be torn between this, FragBU, and GTA IV this weekend. Good thing I have no real plans since I have to be at my parents' house all weekend to watch my brothers while my Mom and Dad are on vacation.

Big-Al
30th Apr 2008, 12:56 PM
I'm sure the achievement grind will let up soon enough.

Man I'm going to be torn between this, FragBU, and GTA IV this weekend. Good thing I have no real plans since I have to be at my parents' house all weekend to watch my brothers while my Mom and Dad are on vacation.

drug'em and stuff them in the cellar ;)

SlayerDragon
30th Apr 2008, 01:10 PM
drug'em and stuff them in the cellar ;)

Good idea! :lol:

Actually, it's kind of silly. I have a 21 year old brother who they just don't trust to watch the other two who are 16 and 11. Plus my 88 year old grandfather is there. But they want me there. Guess this is what I get for being the responsible eldest child.

Big-Al
30th Apr 2008, 01:33 PM
Good idea! :lol:

Actually, it's kind of silly. I have a 21 year old brother who they just don't trust to watch the other two who are 16 and 11. Plus my 88 year old grandfather is there. But they want me there. Guess this is what I get for being the responsible eldest child.

lol well check up on the 88 year old grandfather while you're at it, if you see him come out of the cellar smiling you know he's been up to something :p

Mozi
30th Apr 2008, 01:41 PM
lol well check up on the 88 year old grandfather while you're at it, if you see him come out of the cellar smiling you know he's been up to something :p

and that is when you yell "MEDIC"

FlashIV
30th Apr 2008, 02:45 PM
Well they've removed the console command so it definately wasn't an intended feature to be able to unlock all the weapons with a few keystrokes. Now the question is, are they able to do anything about everyone that used it to get all the achievements?

Sir_Brizz
30th Apr 2008, 05:45 PM
Well they've removed the console command so it definately wasn't an intended feature to be able to unlock all the weapons with a few keystrokes. Now the question is, are they able to do anything about everyone that used it to get all the achievements?
They are, they know every person that used it. Thank heavens I was at work and unable to dink around with it :)