UT3 Vehicle DM-Throne

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Squiggles

Knight of the Wound Table.
Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
FINAL + PS3

A sun-kissed mountainside, an eerie cavern and a mysterious forest. Watch out for vehicles!

Credits: Epic for the tools, my friend Steve for cooking for PC and ORGAN for cooking for PS3 and the brill beta testers, who fixed everything I screwed up. those being: Grogan, osirisrt, SirTahngarth from BeyondUnreal and Setheran and MamiyaOtaru on gearsforums. Thanks a million!

PC: http://files.filefront.com/DM+Thronerar/;9672699;/fileinfo.html
PS3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L75C17UQ

Last edited:

Grogan

First of all, Happy Birthday!

Now, I played through this map 3 times and have some comments.

The map certainly has some potential, it's fun to play, with all the jump pads and stuff. However, there are a few issues. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but I'll do my best.

1) The lighting and colours seem kind of screwy.

- Too much greenish in that upper level... it's like the air is green. Too much blurry blue under water.

- There are featureless, black floor surfaces on some of the terraces. (lack of lighting?)

- The blurring is way too overdone... I can see using a bit of distance blurring for performance, but that just makes the map ugly to have it occurring so near.

2) As for game play...

- One thing I noticed was that there are a few places where your player gets stuck if you fall (not very far) One example is where the scavenger is parked) In my opinion, that should not occur anywhere in a map. Kill the player if you must, but don't make them suicide to get unstuck :)

- There's a viper in a cavern under that house, through the floor. I cannot for the life of me get that vehicle out of there and it seems pointless to me.

That's what I've observed for now, I'm off to go play it again a few more times. If I think of anything else I'll post back.

Last edited:

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Thank you ^_^

- Too much greenish in that upper level... it's like the air is green
It is o_O The state of pollution nowadays, eh? Turning of the blurring and greenening in the forest would take me two minutes if you really think it is necessary. My excuse is it's a magic forest. Filled with noxious gas.

Too much blurry blue under water.
Sure thing, I'll get tweaking that. The water in the valley is pretty clear looking.

There are featureless, black floor surfaces on some of the terraces. (lack of lighting?)
Lack of lighting. Is this the house behind the forest or in the valley? Both are largly unlit in places but it was for stylistic effect. But I get you're not digging the low visibility forest in general XD

- The blurring is way too overdone... I can see using a bit of distance blurring for performance, but that just makes the map ugly to have it occurring so near.

Blurring is underwater (cos if you don't have that the water police arrest you) and in the forest. And it wasn't for performance, I thought it looked really cool. But like I said, to remove it I just untick a box.

One thing I noticed was that there are a few places where your player gets stuck if you fall (not very far) One example is where the scavenger is parked)

I will check the Scavenger areas :S Tell me if there are any other areas like this.

There's a viper in a cavern under that house, through the floor. I cannot for the life of me get that vehicle out of there and it seems pointless to me.

Heh, maybe I'm the only one who can get it out, the bots sure can't. But yeah, I think that has to be moved. Maybe upstairs of that house.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, thats a massive help. Ill get twiddling stuff ASAP ;)

Grogan

Yes, there were a few places where I managed to get stuck. Similar little crevasses as the one behind where that scavenger is parked (opposite side of that platform even). Also, there's one in the blue crystal area, it looks like solid rock where I can jump on but there's a bit of a clipping bug and I sink down and get stuck. The problem is, I'm having difficulty trying to describe where this stuff is. Maybe I'll try to make some screen shots tomorrow night.

About the blurring, it's so bad that in places I have trouble seeing the players shooting at me from a moderate distance. I don't mind the greenish glow of the forest area as much as the blurring. I got that effect as being a hazy forest, but I thought the blurring was a mistake.

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
I agree with everything said by grogan.

The viper i could get out , but i honestly cant see the point of it in this map to be honest, or that little under the house area. As you say, you can get it, but bots couldnt , and that just seems wrong really, you should make it work for them, or just remove it. (unless you want players to have an added advantage over bots ? :) )

From a gameplay point of view, things are let down by lots of little problems, getting stuck when getting to the top of a set of stairs and having to jump, areas where you cross bridges then suddenly stop, and have to jump over, also other problems such as, you have a jump pad at the top of the map (i think theres a sniper near to it), if you miss the jump pad (which jumps you downwards ?), and slightly fall over the edge, you fall 'behind' the main map, into an area you shouldnt go.

From a level designers point of view, you need to put plenty of blocking volumes in to stop those problems from occuring above, also you could do with aligning weapons and placements more correctly or on more flat surfaces as it looks ugly just stickin off to one side. also, too much bsp for these days ! :D lastly, you have lots of water, but i didnt hear much in the way of water noises.. the only noise that was prominent for me, was the strange clicking noise everywhere.

Oh, and very lastly, i couldnt agree more about the blurry thing mentioned also, is way too much.

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Ok, ok, I'll kill the blur :(
And wander all over the level looking for getting stuck areas. I'll move the Viper too. But would you have any good ideas where to look for water noises? (the clicking is a cricket btw) I was looking but all I could find was the sound of water in pipes or waves crashing, which sounded good but of course it kept lapsing. I'll keep looking, but if you know what package in particular that would help ;)

Thanks a bunch for all the criticism, I didn't know there were that many holes. I might try to update the file tonight (Ireland time) without the blur and with the level breaks fixed. And the viper moved.

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
If you open the ambient sounds package, i think thats where most of the looping ambient type audio is. if you then filter by water, you should get a few watery kinda sounds in there. Other than those off hand i cant think where there would be more, unless its one shot (non looping) audio.

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Ok, I've found all the contentious loopholes you guys mentioned so far except for Grogans in the blue crystal area, so unless you find more, I don't think you need screenshots Grogan, but thanks for the offer. Maybe one for the cave unless you can describe the offending rock to me. And Thanks osirirt for that, I found the water noises, and a bunch of others. I was looking in ambient non loops before. Be sure to tell me if there's anything else you don't like. You guys are great ^_^

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Beta 2 is up. Blur has been brutally cut down in the prime of life and I think all the places you mentioned getting stuck are gone, thanks a million. Much nicer aurally now too :D

If there's anything else bothering anyone please tell me. And can someone tell me if they think the map is any good apart from the bugs?

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
hi

the first bridge crossing the bottom of main waterfall still is blocked by something. one of the 2 spiral (ish) staircases still is blocked when trying to go up or down, and cant even be jumped over. the 'bushes' around the garden area at the top, need their collision properties changing to no collision, as when you shoot around there, rockets and stuff should go through bushes, no collide. theres a couple other areas i found that still made you move around until you could get by, but i cant remember at the moment. lastly, theres the stock 'square' texture in a couple of spots in the garden area i think. i would have looked further but im alittle ill feeling at the moment, need to go. lol

oh and lastly, its not particularly my kind of map, but is quite inventive with what you have created. you need to be alittle more careful with things blocking players/bots and make sure the flow keeps going, as it can really kill a map i guess.

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
I was sure the staircases were both ok now >_<
And all the bridges. Crap. I'll check 'em again tomorrow, thanks for your help.

(I swear I went up and down the staircases and across the bridges multiple times and it was fine o_O)

Grogan

I'll be having a go at Beta 2 tonight, but first I have a bit of work I have to get done before I can boot to Windows for games. I'll try to find that rock I was telling you about... it's up high a bit, I think near one of the jump pads.

I thought I noticed getting stopped briefly on that bridge too, but I thought it was because there was a piece of a destroyed viper there at the time.

Grogan

The beta2 looks much better without that blurring :)

OK, I found another place where I got stuck. I also made screenshots of where I get stuck in that blue crystal area, up near a jump pad. (Actually now it seems I can wiggle my way out to my left, and fall down to the seabed floor but last night I was STUCK there. Still, that's a clipping bug that seems to need fixing unless you did it on purpose to be tricky :) )

http://www.mikeserv.org/gallery/Mikes-Gallery/dm-throne/

I posted them in one of my galleries, with captions that 'splain. Just click on the pictures to see the items at intermediate and full sizes.

Also, I'm not getting stopped on that first bridge near the waterfall, but yes, one of those stone staircases doesn't work.

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
If you find a place to get stuck again, I'll eat my Ghost Hat. I've gone over everything, it's all patched up except for the bridge thing osirisrt mentioned because i cannot for the life of me get stuck on that bridge.

Little bits and pieces have been changed and the preview pic works. Please tell if there's anything else wrong so maybe I can move on to a full release soon >_<
I want it perfect for the Epic forums.

Thanks again for all your help guys, I should stick you both on the map description XD
Thanks for taking the time for those screens Grogan.

Grogan

That's way gooder now :)

It looks nice, it plays nice and I haven't found any more places to get stuck. I just played it twice and beat the pants off the bots (ok, ok, I had them set to "Average" because I was exploring the map lol)

The scavenger is actually pretty good in that map. I got lots of kills with it.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
the surface of the "water" is solid, and also not visible from underneath. By solid I mean it stops weapons fire- the enforcer and RL even leave scar marks on the surface of the water, and rocket grenades bounce on it.

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
BETA 4

Thank you good Sir. Water is double sided now, weapons go through it. Also, the pathing is better now and there are 32 player starts.

Tahngarth, thank you for linking me that terrain tutorial by Hourences back when I first posted DM-Greenhouse, it was really helpful for this ;)

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Vipers can never go underwater anyway, they hover on it, so going under water is a good escape anyway. And the scavenger can't get ya in the trenches in the woods ;)

Tell me if you think the bots are having difficulty with the vehicles btw, I've had difficulty with that. Originally they couldn't get the Scavengers out, but I think I've fixed that now >_<