Jeff Morris Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
GamePro interviews Epic Games' Jeff Morris about Unreal Tournament 3. The PS3 version is featured, but other general questions are presented as well.
GamePro: Let's talk more about the game. UT3 reminds me far more of the original Unreal Tournament than its sequels, down to the main menu music and armor pickups. Why lean towards the original game instead of UT2003 and 2004?

JM: It was to provide a better first experience for new players. In UT2004, we had reduced gravity and characters were far more mobile, with dodge jumps and the like. That extreme mobility meant that new players wouldn't even see the person that killed them--the killer would jump over the victim's head and put a rocket down the top of his skull.

But by increasing the gravity closer to the original UT, new players can see the player that killed him because he is not able to back flip over as easily. There is generally a wall or a floor that someone can put a rocket against. With UT3 we feel we have given new players a much better tool kit to actually compete on early experiences, so they'll see "water cooler moments" like an enemy disintegrating or turning into gelatin. There are a lot of little nuances like that throughout the game that we haven't talked about that we want people to discover.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
JM: "It was to provide a better first experience for new players"

Well, the first thing the players (new and old) experienced in this MP game on a PC... ...was the UI with it's serverbrowser.

JM: "Memory optimization and technological optimization are the biggest hurdles, particularly if you're coming from a PC environment. [For a console game], think of a huge slider where we [the programmers] have to make decisions for visuals versus frame rate trade-offs. On the PC, those choices are left up to the individual."

Technically right. One slider for world detail.

Last edited:

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
I don't understand why they offered a ''noobified'' UT3 to the masses to bring in new fans. Would'nt it be better to offer all the features that the UT series were famous for to the consoles and really blow them away!?

I mean, you can really introduce a killer customizable game to these gampad noobies and say, hey guys, here's a kick ass PC game that would knock your pansy gamepad asses to the ground!! You can download kewl custum maps, kustomizable crosshairs, a wicked-sick weaponthrow, a bitchin' serverbrowzer, customizable dumb bots, kewl kick ass mods, ass tearin' mutators, ahnuld voicepacks..........the wurks!!

Present it that way and these newbs would be putting Halo players to shame!

This is how PC games means business!!!:D

IceCreamYou

disseminator of awesome
A lot of people didn't like UT2kx for its movement, but I did. One of the things that always annoyed me in games was how long it took to get everywhere. UT2kx tried to make it in-your-face all the time.

Problem was, as Morris pointed out, sometimes it was in-your-@ss and you couldn't even see the guy.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't understand why they offered a ''noobified'' UT3 to the masses to bring in new fans. Would'nt it be better to offer all the features that the UT series were famous for to the consoles and really blow them away!?

I mean, you can really introduce a killer customizable game to these gampad noobies and say, hey guys, here's a kick ass PC game that would knock your pansy gamepad asses to the ground!! You can download kewl custum maps, kustomizable crosshairs, a wicked-sick weaponthrow, a bitchin' serverbrowzer, customizable dumb bots, kewl kick ass mods, ass tearin' mutators, ahnuld voicepacks..........the wurks!!

Present it that way and these newbs would be putting Halo players to shame!

This is how PC games means business!!!:D
Did you ever play UC/UC2?? They've already tried and failed with that.

U

Unregistered

Flawed logic

"JM: It was to provide a better first experience for new players. In UT2004, we had reduced gravity and characters were far more mobile, with dodge jumps and the like. That extreme mobility meant that new players wouldn't even see the person that killed them--the killer would jump over the victim's head and put a rocket down the top of his skull."

Making the game a more rewarding experience for noobs, since good players can no longer excel... That's a very wise choice by the game developers - particularly since practically all other FPS games are already easy for noobs, and since the UT legacy (as with the Quake legacy) is to distinguish themselves in terms of being more challenging for noobs (faster, more flexible)... This is so stupid I don't have words.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
People liked it. Sales and online numbers were low on the other hand... ...sounds familiar to this game I bought in November.
It's exactly what is happening now. It makes no sense to me. Most people I've talked to love UT3's gameplay but just don't play the game. Ironically, it's typically because they "can't find a server" which just perpetuates the problem that there are empty servers all over.

I'm hoping patch2 is going to make people come back, because we will be able to easily manage servers as well as have custom content!!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
UT2kx tried to make it in-your-face all the time.
What? :con:

Everything about UT2004 favors defensive play. The movement allows you to get away from projectiles quickly, the shield gun protects you as you make your escape, and once you're far enough away hitscan dominates.

But I'll pick that over inconsistent weapons, trudging around crap maps with no flow like Gateway, Arsenal, Deimos, HeatRay, CarbonFire, RisingSun, Biohazard, Fearless, Shangri, and Sanctuary, a billion empty servers, stupid vehakal gameplay (which is mostly all anyone that is playing takes part in), a movement system that in conjunction with the maps provides for no options, pubs with terrible pings and too high a player limit, a poor mouse input system, overpowered goo (especially in 1v1), a spawn weapon worse than the ass rifle (which I didn't even think was possible), and then all the other issues like the UI. The UI issues are the least of my problems with the game. D:

I don't care how great it sounds on paper. I haven't had any fun with UT3. None. Total waste of $50. :mad:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Making the game a more rewarding experience for noobs, since good players can no longer excel... That's a very wise choice by the game developers - particularly since practically all other FPS games are already easy for noobs, and since the UT legacy (as with the Quake legacy) is to distinguish themselves in terms of being more challenging for noobs (faster, more flexible)... This is so stupid I don't have words.

You've got some flawed logic of your own going there. UT3 is more like UT. Are you saying UT is either not part of the "UT legacy" or is not (as you say) "more challenging for noobs"?