Game Or Player Performance?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vigil

Jan 20, 2008
I used to be good at Q3 and the UT's. In UT3, I am shat. Just now, I decided to do something about it, so I took care be aware of what I was doing in the game, where the enemies were, etc. I wasn't so bothered about putting the crosshair over the enemy and scoring a kill. I can improve on my trigger finger later.

What I noticed was alarming. The odd thing in the game wasn't registering with my client. It is as if I was seeing one game and playing another. My ping was good and I had barely any packet loss. Once, it took me three attempts at running over the rocket launcher just to pick it up. It took the cake when I was running in a corridor with nobody around and all of a sudden I'm killed by someone's biosludge - which wasn't even there. Nobody tossed some at me, there was nobody around that area.

This wasn't obvious previously when I'm in the heat of the battle. I'm usually more concerned about shooting the enemy or dodging out of the way, rather than noticing exactly who killed me, etc. I'm dead. I assume, if it wasn't the guy in front of me, somebody got me from behind (so to speak).

I guess I'll try this game again when the next patch comes out.

PS. And it is lame that I can't play with my proper fecking name.

Last edited:

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
Alright the fact that your having those issues is NOT the games fault. When those kinds of things occur it can be a number of things, but most likely a bad server would be to blame.

one of the number of things could be a bug in the dedicated server code by epic, but he said he had some packet loss so that explain his problem. any packet loss is bad, you just happened to lose packets both times you went over the rocket launcher. if you get packet loss on every server its something on your end, either in your house or your isp.

Vigil

Jan 20, 2008
one of the number of things could be a bug in the dedicated server code by epic, but he said he had some packet loss so that explain his problem. any packet loss is bad, you just happened to lose packets both times you went over the rocket launcher. if you get packet loss on every server its something on your end, either in your house or your isp.

I had no packet loss. It just seems to be I'm shat at UT3, for some reason. Maybe part of the reason is the level of detail is just too high, or maybe everybody playing UT3 when I'm on is elite. It's weird, and disheartening.

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
My ping was good and I had barely any packet loss.

...even losing one packet at the right time could cause you not to pick up a weapon... well if you have no pl then how many frames per second are you getting? if its over thirty and stable you should be good. even when everything is working correctly alot of times youll die and have no idea what killed you. if this is the case, and you have not already done so, you should enable consoledeathmessages. at least then you can read what/who killed killed you.

and yes it is lame to not be able to change your nick in game.

Last edited:

Vigil

Jan 20, 2008
even when everything is working correctly alot of times youll die and have no idea what killed you. if this is the case, and you have not already done so, you should enable consoledeathmessages. at least then you can read what/who killed killed you.

I think they're enabled, because it said I died from [some player]'s biosludge, when there wasn't any there. I'll play some more today and keep my eye out. Maybe it was sporadic packet loss, like you say.