PDA

View Full Version : UT3 WAR-ArticStronghold

Ionium
23rd Jan 2008, 02:21 AM
The beta is ready over at epic forums :)

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=599901

Larkin
23rd Jan 2008, 02:39 AM
Downloaded it now, Comment later

Ionium
23rd Jan 2008, 02:43 AM

sWs»Cheapshot
23rd Jan 2008, 07:39 AM
I saw pictures from a few weeks ago when he was just starting it. I had no idea he would end up with that.

It looks fantastic.

osirisrt
23rd Jan 2008, 10:29 AM
lol the original creator of this map is currently redoing it for ut3.. maybe i should tell him. :D

Ionium
23rd Jan 2008, 02:05 PM
lol the original creator of this map is currently redoing it for ut3.. maybe i should tell him. :D
Oh well how was I to know :p

evilmrfrank
23rd Jan 2008, 02:40 PM
You should really get the permission of the original author before you do remakes of their maps :P

Ionium
23rd Jan 2008, 03:09 PM
I assumed it was okay since it was an original UT2004 stock map? Anyways I wouldn't know how to contact them.

sWs»Cheapshot
23rd Jan 2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah... Arctic Stronghold is Fair game... as long as you are not using someone elses custom content ;)

osirisrt
23rd Jan 2008, 07:14 PM
ah yeah its fair enough. i just spotted this, and knew that the guy who originally made it had currently started redoing it for ut3, but he doesnt browse forums much, so when i spotted it i thought , hmm. lol :D

ive tried the map anyhow, and its kinda ok, but has a few issues for me personally.

N1ghtmare
23rd Jan 2008, 10:04 PM
I suggest you remove the nightshade form the side nodes and replace it form somehting els. I would spawn there and say "I wanna go on the offensive" and would have to teleport away.

sWs»Cheapshot
23rd Jan 2008, 10:10 PM
ah yeah its fair enough. i just spotted this, and knew that the guy who originally made it had currently started redoing it for ut3, but he doesnt browse forums much, so when i spotted it i thought , hmm. lol :D

Its a stock map. Epic allows any and all Mods to thier maps with few exceptions. I think you may be referring to an Arctic Stronghold remake from 2K4 perhaps?

Ionium
23rd Jan 2008, 10:21 PM
I suggest you remove the nightshade form the side nodes and replace it form somehting els. I would spawn there and say "I wanna go on the offensive" and would have to teleport away.

I might do that.

Ionium
23rd Jan 2008, 10:23 PM
Its a stock map. Epic allows any and all Mods to thier maps with few exceptions. I think you may be referring to an Arctic Stronghold remake from 2K4 perhaps?

Yeah that makes more sense. The author of the original is called "Swartz" and I've never seen him on any major UT related forum.

Larkin
23rd Jan 2008, 11:53 PM
I played through the map a couple of times now so I guess its time to comment like I promised.

The first thing I noticed when started up the map was the lack of detail in the outdoor area and the lack of this feeling that it was really cold out there. I think it needs more elements like ice(not crystals) but ice that maybe is on the ground in certain spots. Now I am not talking about a puddle or something lame like that but maybe like a ice that is covering up a hole in the ground. You could put rocks under it kinda of like making it look like a hole that just has rocks all around. I guess what I am saying is use cold elements to add to overall atmosphere to this place. I don't think snow would be a great idea though as fps would get killed by something like that.

I guess I need to mention that twelve bots on the map is too low of a number and makes it way to easy to destroy the enemy core. I destroyed the core with that number in three minutes, so I advice you to raise that. I lastly want to mention that overall the map was pretty easy to win on, now I am not sure if maybe the bots paths, the vehicle paths, or if it the playerstarts, but clearly the map was hellish easy to kick the sh!t out of the bots.

Overall, though the map is pretty good, but like I said needs more atmosphere.

Ionium
23rd Jan 2008, 11:58 PM
Funny, other people thought the map was just perfect. Oh well I guess not everyone can be pleased.

Larkin
24th Jan 2008, 12:29 AM
Funny, other people thought the map was just perfect. Oh well I guess not everyone can be pleased.

I liked the map, its just that thought it was kinda of empty and needed more atmosphere. Its a beta, so you are still working on it right? So I don't think its uncalled for to say it needs more of this or that, or this or that needs fixed.

Kantham
24th Jan 2008, 12:31 AM

You act like if you never saw it coming. :con:
He gave a good input on what he thought the map needed work on.

osirisrt
24th Jan 2008, 05:15 AM

The map im referring to is the original one from 2k4. As ive said, fair enough someone wants to do a remake, it was an original map and all. I was just saying that i know a friend of mine, swartz, as mentioned above, is working on his own remake, as in, he made the original, so is now redoing it himself for ut3. I just found it more amusing that he's started his own remake of his own map, but someone beat him to it :lol:

osirisrt
24th Jan 2008, 05:17 AM
Yeah that makes more sense. The author of the original is called "Swartz" and I've never seen him on any major UT related forum.

No, he tends to avoid forums. Hes not really done very much since 2k4, but seeing as theres this new ut, he decided to redo his stronghold map, but as i say above, he was beaten to it :) Although id guess he will still remake it and do it his way, being the original creator and all.

sWs»Cheapshot
24th Jan 2008, 05:33 AM
You know him? Is he still working for Epic? Cuz maybe you can help me deliver a message... "FIX IT!!!!!"

Just playin... but really... FIRE MIDWAY!!!!!!!

osirisrt
24th Jan 2008, 06:33 AM
yeah i know him, speak every week usually. i know he started up making it for ut3 around xmas time. he doesnt work at epic, and if my memory is correct, he worked there a while towards the end of 2k4's development, to finish up his contributions.

Im currently working on a new map that we are working together on, which is coming on nicely, so he has the 2 maps he'll be working on.

Ionium
25th Jan 2008, 01:58 AM
While you're at it, since he use to work for epic, tell him to tell them, TO FIX THE DAMN GAME ALREADY! :mad:

osirisrt
25th Jan 2008, 05:59 AM
yeah well, note 'used' to work for them.. i mean, this was 4 years ago. he has no contact anymore to my knowledge.

evilmrfrank
25th Jan 2008, 12:18 PM
My mistake, I don't play ONS much so I guess I forgot it was a stock map :P

Ionium
25th Jan 2008, 03:29 PM
yeah well, note 'used' to work for them.. i mean, this was 4 years ago. he has no contact anymore to my knowledge.

So how do you know him? Is he a friend of yours? Do you live near him? Did you meet him at a bar? Were you working for epic 4 years ago as well? How did you know he was making a remake of Arctic as well?

AVP
25th Jan 2008, 07:11 PM
Sorry to change the subject. But I found a funny little thing in this map. You can climb the tentacle in the middle of the map with the scavenger right until the tentacle cuts off and it just stops and the rest of its is not climbable. :(

If you want to try it out, heres how I did it. Get the scavenger then, at the red west node you are able to jump on the rock directly north of the node and once you done that you can see another rock to the northeast then jump on that one and finally if you do one more jump you are on top of the cliff. So now head to the tentacle and begin to climb. Some parts of the tentacle make the scavenger drop a bit inside it but you wont fall. Another thing to try is to turn into ball mode and fall off it, its pretty fun. :lol:

Ionium
25th Jan 2008, 07:13 PM
So should I treat it as a bug and fix it?

AVP
25th Jan 2008, 07:15 PM
Its up to you, I dont care.

osirisrt
28th Jan 2008, 09:58 AM
So how do you know him? Is he a friend of yours? Do you live near him? Did you meet him at a bar? Were you working for epic 4 years ago as well? How did you know he was making a remake of Arctic as well?

sorry for late response i didnt notice this post.

ive known him for 10 years almost since unreal 1. friend yes, probably the last one of all the mapping/art friends since unreal 1 days. no he's u.s im in uk. i didnt work at epic no. And i knew because he told me a while ago :D

swartz
28th Jan 2008, 10:19 AM
Hola,

Yes I am working on an Arctic redo for the original UT2K4 map that I did when working on contract at Epic. I am in contact with Epic and they will be running the map through tests etc. prior to release.

As with all maps I assume that they will have their fair play with redo's if they are worth half a sh#$@t.

Only a suggestion... Anytime I redid anybodies map I did make a little "name" change - for example vs. 2 or did a small play on the words...

The version I saw for UT3 does look nice.

If I can remember my planet unreal login information i'll post when I get closer.

Swartz

Anuban
2nd Feb 2008, 02:21 AM
Well unfortunately swartz it has already been released as WAR-ArticStronghold but of course we are looking forward to seeing what the original author will do with his own remake. Brett's did turn out very nice I have to say.

osirisrt
2nd Feb 2008, 04:24 AM
it was ok, but did have a lot of the original missing. looked the part anyhow. :)

swartz
2nd Feb 2008, 05:48 PM
Terrain is done only for scale, the bridge is looking like this so far. I'll post next time when the rocks are all in place.

Swartz

Ionium
2nd Feb 2008, 05:57 PM
It's better to use static meshes for the cliffs, imo.

osirisrt
2nd Feb 2008, 06:23 PM
yeah i think thats why he said he'd post next time all rocks are in place :)

swartz
2nd Feb 2008, 07:30 PM
Are you serious? That is why I do not post to forums.... Because of stupid people. I'll post it to my site after Epic has tested and put the green light on the release.

Enjoy

Swartz

Ionium
2nd Feb 2008, 07:40 PM
And just to point something out, the bridge looks a little stretched out on the end there, imo.

osirisrt
3rd Feb 2008, 05:07 AM
Ionium. Are you just being deliberately awkward or something ?

Telling him about using static meshes for terrain, i mean, come on, do you think hes some noob that doesnt know about meshes or something ? look back at the original stronghold map and youll notice... static meshes for rocks and cliffs !

I cant say much about the stretched bit in the pic, but it is an early version that im sure will have much more work done to it, just like your version still needs.. :rolleyes:

Ionium
3rd Feb 2008, 02:52 PM
My version doesn't need much work k thx bye

osirisrt
3rd Feb 2008, 03:26 PM
im sorry but it needs a hell of a lot of work, as at the moment, its kinda average , and little like the original. it has alot missing, and well, it kinda sucks abit to play. how old are you anyhow ? 5 ?

Tenebre
5th Feb 2008, 03:11 PM
My version doesn't need much work k thx bye

Your map is good but please, at least fix the blue base left turret which can shoot east node ;)

osirisrt
5th Feb 2008, 04:12 PM
id wait for the proper remake thats currently underway, as it will be a fully intact version like the original, and doesnt have routes, turrets and other things missing like this version.

Ionium
21st Feb 2008, 01:14 AM
id wait for the proper remake thats currently underway, as it will be a fully intact version like the original, and doesnt have routes, turrets and other things missing like this version.

omfg are you serious?

osirisrt
21st Feb 2008, 05:15 AM
well yeah, your version kinda sucks a$$. you missed lots of stuff, you missed routes out, you missed turrets, its kinda shoddily put together, and you wont even listen to anyones comments or advice over at epic forums about everything that needs doing to the map to make it better or fix it. Hell you even said whats the point 'the original author is making the map again'.. i mean, come on, grow some balls man.

Anuban
18th Mar 2008, 09:55 PM
Hey is there any news from swartz btw ... just curious if anyone knows when his version is coming out. I am curious to see what the Original Author comes up with in terms of UT3ifying his own version. As far as Bret's version I like it ... its fun enough to me.

osirisrt
19th Mar 2008, 05:46 AM
hes been really busy with other things the last week, but from what ive seen of it, its coming on really well.