CliffyB Reflects On Gears/E3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Cliff Bleszinski muses on his E3 experience and post-E3 reflections.

Seeing the huge banner that Microsoft put outside of the convention center, the Kurt Wenner mural, the Gears theater and versus arena. And then to see Journalists pick up the controls and just…get it. To hear them laughing as they shoot, chainsaw, and curb stomp one another. Reading the online reaction. Watching the PMS clan recruit my girlfriend after she cuts Kojima in half multiple times - while a film crew is catching it - and my throat and feet are pounding.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
When I first saw GOW during E3 I didn't really like it, but after watching everything again, there's a lot of atmosphere to the game. I'm actually considering an Xbox 360 now, never thought that would happen. I'm really dreading the whole "do I buy it for console or PC" dilemma for future games though.

PigBear

Jun 3, 2004
Cliffy is the man, enought said. What really makes GOW stand out is that it's not only a big graphical UT.3 commersial, it seems like the dudes got the gameplay right too.
And the "behind-the-shoulder-running-bobbing" cam they use is working like a charm. It's amazing how you can communicate the feeling of "war" just by creating a camera that is some how similar to the war newsreports we see on tv.

DocB

Where does it hurt?
Apr 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
GOW in my opinion is the only reason at the moment to own a 360. OMG I'm transforming into a GOWF (Gears of War Fanboy)! :eek:

nwlodo

May 11, 2006
can we please stop this gears of war spam?

I start to hate this game because we didn't get a UT trailer because of it

UnRealist

Lame_and_inaccurate_flak_ spammer!
Feb 14, 2004
Lublin, east of Poland
Gears is possibly the only game that still makes me think in "X360-or-Wii" categories... :eek: And I'm not a console player since good old Pegasus (I don't count GameBoy series)... :rolleyes:

nwlodo

May 11, 2006
Plumb_Drumb said:
What?
Gears has nothing to do with not getting a UT trailer.

they pushed gears on the e3 and where holding back ut2007 to give their new brainchild more spotlight

ut2007 was probably the only high-profile game at e3 for which no trailer or official gameplay movies have been released

I'm really dissapointed by how this turned out. I'm a PC gamer and not interested in consoles. I hated seeing all unreal news sites having 20 gears of war news from e3 and hardly anything about ut2007

U

Unregistered

If you havent seen the cliffyb press conference video (yes that is the 200 meg one) which has ingame footage then you probably should it gives you exactly how the game feels in terms of gameplay.

I don't like shooters on consoles in general, but I think gears of war is as good as it gets. I don't like consoles IMO, too expensive for the short time I spent on them.

Still it makes sense to give gears more press then UT. UT is an established franchise already.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
nwlodo said:

Bull****. It was the secret gamma rays the arbian secret services shoot at us that prevented EPIC doing a Trailer. :rolleyes: Some people... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course GOW (XBOX 360 only) is a direct competitor to UT2007 (PC/PS3 only)... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Ive been on and off when it comes to GoW.
Atm it looks like illl buy it tho.
I have some concerns about this cover running but in the end the game looks too cool to pass :)

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
nwlodo said:
let's set up a "Gay Console Gears killed my UT2007" wiki

who is with me?

I guess itll be You, you, you and the Gamelife Crew.

Seriously, reading the interviews its pretty clear that UT2007 wasnt as close to release that many of us believed.
Theres room for both games (marketwise) , just chill.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
nwlodo said:

If you haven't seen the three new videos, that were on BU's main page, I don't know where you have been living...

nwlodo

May 11, 2006
shakycam movies of some incomplete maps is not what I mean

Just compare the way the presented Gears with the way they "presented" UT2007

Trailer, Stage Show, 200 Screenshots, Gameplay movies for the stupid console game

some cam movies that fans smuggled out for UT

Which E3 are they gonna use to present the game if not this one?