Render problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Hi,
I've got some problem with U2 rendering(Not appearing at u2xmp).
I am lazy to explain it all over again, I made topic on other forum:

Hope someone can help me, can it be solved by disabling/enabling some option at unreal2.ini?

Last edited by a moderator:

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Looks like some weird conflict between U2 and your graphics hardware that's related to Direct3D (which U2 uses to 'talk' to your graphics hardware). Since U2XMP is divergent to U2 codebase-wise it's not surprising that the same problem doesn't occur with XMP, but also you'll likely find that the error is specific to only your precise setup.

Since you admit you're using a cracked copy, there's no guarantee that by cracking the executable you haven't somehow introduced some memory leak (caused by mis-matched libraries, whatever) or otherwise broken the game by altering it in ways which were not intended by the developers. Discussion of cracking unreal2/xmp has always been something of a moot point on this (and indeed many) forums, and you're unlikely to get any serious responses due to your open disclosure of the fact that you're trying to play the game for free.

I'd suggest that the first thing to check would be to see whether the game runs properly sans crack. This may mean removing/re-installing it. If the problem goes away, you know you're not going to be able to play it without the play disc. However, if the problem persists then at least you can check other things without the chance that you're chasing a lost cause.

As far as other things to check go, it may be worth ensuring that your DirectX is up to date (9.0c being the latest release I believe), and the same for your graphics drivers. From the error you stated it would appear that U2 is somehow arguing with DirectX and causing it to break after a while: checking that these things are up to date should be your first check.

If you are certain that the above is true, and everything that can be up to date is up to date, then it's time to experiment with settings within U2. Vertex caching for smeshes happens at level startup, and whenever the graphics mode is changed (this includes switching from full-screen to a window and vice versa). If changing the graphics mode when the errors occur brings the missing objects back then chances are it's a memory leak or similar problem, or the graphics hardware isn't correctly displaying the meshes it has in memory. This could be due to a faulty card or driver, or due to the aformentioned conflict (reason would be impossible to determine) between U2 and your graphics hardware or driver. If changing the mode doesn't help then the caching may not be happening properly or at all, in which case it may simply be a faulty U2 installation or a broken package somewhere; re-installing the game would be favourite at that point.

Can't think of anything else really, guess you may just be stuck with XMP. Trust me, that's a long way from being the worst situation to be in: XMP is by far the best multi-player game ever created, and is well worth the money for Unreal2 just on it's own. The learning curve can seem steep to begin with, but the pay-off is amazing. See the stickies in this forum for advice about how to get XMP working (it - like Unreal 2 - has been unsupported for some time, but the community strive to keep it alive).

Good luck.

(PS. resisted the urge to write Good luck, freeloader..., I must be in a nice mood today :p)

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
EQ² said:
Looks like some weird conflict between U2 and your graphics hardware that's related to Direct3D (which U2 uses to 'talk' to your graphics hardware). Since U2XMP is divergent to U2 codebase-wise it's not surprising that the same problem doesn't occur with XMP, but also you'll likely find that the error is specific to only your precise setup.

Since you admit you're using a cracked copy, there's no guarantee that by cracking the executable you haven't somehow introduced some memory leak (caused by mis-matched libraries, whatever) or otherwise broken the game by altering it in ways which were not intended by the developers. Discussion of cracking unreal2/xmp has always been something of a moot point on this (and indeed many) forums, and you're unlikely to get any serious responses due to your open disclosure of the fact that you're trying to play the game for free.

I'd suggest that the first thing to check would be to see whether the game runs properly sans crack. This may mean removing/re-installing it. If the problem goes away, you know you're not going to be able to play it without the play disc. However, if the problem persists then at least you can check other things without the chance that you're chasing a lost cause.

As far as other things to check go, it may be worth ensuring that your DirectX is up to date (9.0c being the latest release I believe), and the same for your graphics drivers. From the error you stated it would appear that U2 is somehow arguing with DirectX and causing it to break after a while: checking that these things are up to date should be your first check.

If you are certain that the above is true, and everything that can be up to date is up to date, then it's time to experiment with settings within U2. Vertex caching for smeshes happens at level startup, and whenever the graphics mode is changed (this includes switching from full-screen to a window and vice versa). If changing the graphics mode when the errors occur brings the missing objects back then chances are it's a memory leak or similar problem, or the graphics hardware isn't correctly displaying the meshes it has in memory. This could be due to a faulty card or driver, or due to the aformentioned conflict (reason would be impossible to determine) between U2 and your graphics hardware or driver. If changing the mode doesn't help then the caching may not be happening properly or at all, in which case it may simply be a faulty U2 installation or a broken package somewhere; re-installing the game would be favourite at that point.

Can't think of anything else really, guess you may just be stuck with XMP. Trust me, that's a long way from being the worst situation to be in: XMP is by far the best multi-player game ever created, and is well worth the money for Unreal2 just on it's own. The learning curve can seem steep to begin with, but the pay-off is amazing. See the stickies in this forum for advice about how to get XMP working (it - like Unreal 2 - has been unsupported for some time, but the community strive to keep it alive).

Good luck.

(PS. resisted the urge to write Good luck, freeloader..., I must be in a nice mood today :p)

I have directx up to date, only driver for graphic card not due to crash, so I guess I need to reinstall my computer.

My computer was hit by virus when I was installing Unreal2, so I will try to reinstall it to lower version and see if it works.

As for u2xmp, I tried it already few times online, also with new master server and bonuspacks(Some of them were very hard to find, most of links were not working, but at end I finally found one working link.
I like u2xmp.

Thanks.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
SmotPoker said:
Just in case you are missing anything, please refer to this thread (the 3rd post down has links to everything you need and tells you what to do for installing XMP).
Thanks, only missing thing what I don't have is raptor racing mod, downloading it now. :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
SmotPoker said:
Just noticed you had your own server running. Why don't you join one of the slightly more popular, unpassworded, public servers? P.S. It looks like you got it all running nicely :).
I was just doing test, well I sometimes play u2xmp when I got more time.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I reinstalled Unreal2, I can't see that problem anymore.
Now I will try to install patch if I will see it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Now I installed patch and problem appears again. What I need to do in this case?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The Jackal-XMP said:
Go to another warez site and ask for help? Not really sure.
Warez site?
I think I will uninstall it and install again and not patch it. Patch really altered something.

But still it sometimes crashes with that weird error and then I have everything fuxked up, also rendering at other games, when I close game or if game will crash. But that rendering problem is gone when it is unpatched. Bad things are other bugs though.

Leo(T.C.K.) said:
But still it sometimes crashes with that weird error and then I have everything fuxked up, also rendering at other games, when I close game or if game will crash. But that rendering problem is gone when it is unpatched. Bad things are other bugs though.

Come back and try to type full real sentences. "Bad things are other bugs though".....That litterally made a vein pop in my head. It seems that you can't even properly communicate with other english speaking humans. So I doubt you will get this fixed rather easy.

I am in a rather fine mood today, so do as Smot says, and post the error message that you get when it crashes.

Here's how you would go about doing that in several ways.

1. When the error pops up, click on the "Select all" button, and copy it to your clipboard. (that's right click copy). Come back in here, and ONLY put in the copied text. (that's right click paste). Don't post anything else in the reply box except for the error. The way you speak will confuse some of us.

2. Take a PrntScrn cap of the error, edit it for size in Photoshop, then post the image here. Although this may be far over your head to do, so best to go with number 1.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
If you could just take a look at link I posted earlier, you can find that crash there.

As for other bugs, I am speaking about bugs which are at game, but do not crash game, at unpatched version. But I must use unpatched version, because of that render bug.

And I am not from English speaking country, so excuse me for that.

And I am not talking about u2xmp, talking about Unreal2, I have not problem with u2xmp.

Here is that error crash when I start game after it crashes, I will try also post other crash when I get it next time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag and enabling Direct3D Acceleration in the Display1/2 tab after installing DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Build: Jan 7 2003 18:16:21

Do as it tells you to do then.

And sorry about the non-english thing. Didn't know you were from another country.

Try these steps then.

Go to the start button, click on Run, then type in DxDiag. This will run a program and you can enable Direct 3D.

Please refer to this image below. (This is my DxDiag screen)

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The Jackal-XMP said:
Do as it tells you to do then.

And sorry about the non-english thing. Didn't know you were from another country.

Try these steps then.

Go to the start button, click on Run, then type in DxDiag. This will run a program and you can enable Direct 3D.

Please refer to this image below. (This is my DxDiag screen)

Untitled-1.jpg
Direct3d enabled, directdraw enabled. AGP isn't supported.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Direct3D can't be disabled anyway, otherwise the game wouldn't work at all. It seems instead like a bug which causes U2 to be unable to detect Direct3D, which is more likely a bug in a driver somewhere, or (and this is more likely), when the game crashes U2 doesn't "let go" of the graphics hardware properly (because it's crashed) and so D3D reports that it is in use (ie. Not Available).

When the game crashes, check your task manager (processes tab) for a process called "Unreal2" or "Unreal2.exe" and "End Task" it. If this doesn't fix it, or the process isn't there, then there's probably no way of gracefully forcing U2 to relinquish control of the hardware without a reboot.

Also, when the crash happens, try examining the log file: you can find this file in the Unreal2/System directory. It is called "Unreal2.log". Open it with notepad and see if there are any useful indications as to what has caused the game to bomb out. I mean you should do this after the initial crash, not after you recieve the D3D error.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Log is cutted off, can't see error in there, it just crashed without error and disabled my direct3d.

Looks like I need to patch it, because it crashes at one place of acheron map. Do anyone know about crack for latest version of Unreal2 and where to download it? Please. I think render bug is due to I use old unreal2.exe and patch has new.

Now I discovered that when I close Unreal2 and start it again I get same error. grrr