A Hard One...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PTGui

Mar 7, 2006
This one is a hard one (at least i think so).

My chalange is to make something like DECO LAYERS of the terrain, but on Static Mesh.

So imagine i want little deco layers covering an a Static Mesh, that behave the same way than Deco Layer (only loading ONE static mesh, fading way). The reason is simple. I want to cover huge objects with "grass", the problem is that these objects (for several reasons) HAVE to be static meshes, and the grass will be to heavy if it's not handled as a Deco Layer.

So suggestions will be accepted of how to do this, even if they are not a final answer.

PTGui

Mar 7, 2006
Your idea was great, BUT (there is always a but) I have another problem. Your suggestion is possible using xEmitters, and I think it would work in a good way (I tested to see what you meant, and it was nice), but the thing I am trying to develop uses Unreal Engine 2 RunTime, what means I only have emitters and no xEmitters.

But in the process you gave me another idea (not such a good one, but an idea anyway, as I wanted). Why not let it "rain" grass, collide with the object and stay there. The result was the following:

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.geobrain.nl/files/Gaming_pics/Shot00004.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
This is just a test, the grass isn't going to be this one.

Of course this brings many other problems, like all colisions having the be calculated per frame. I also had a used a CullDistance for it not to be so heavy, but the I have the popping effect. How can I put a fade effect in here? (emitters have fade in and out, but don't have a fade to distance like deco layers)

Any more suggestions of how to do this? (I remember that this specific kind of terrain AS to be a static mesh)

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I really mean Emitter, otherwise I would have written xEmitter. All ParticleEmitter subclasses (SpriteEmitter, BeamEnitter, MeshEmitter, etc.) hav a group "MeshSpawning" in their properties, which can be used to specify a StaticMesh whose vertices are to be used as spawn points for the particles. However I don't know, whether that is also available in the UE2 Runtime.

PTGui

Mar 7, 2006
You are right... I was missunderstanding the meanig of the MeshSpawning. It works fine, and at least I have the huge problem of the collisions solved, I'll try to work more on it, and see about the fade in/out. Thanks