Weapon switch times

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How fast should weapon switch times be?

• Total voters

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I'd say too slow of a weapon switch time would make for only one weapon whores. I'd hate to see people fighting with shock at close range. Fast weapon switch would own.

Discuss.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Fast weapon switching is stupid and the complete opposite of ownage.

"Oh, I missed with the flak, let me try something else! [whips out lightning near instantly] Oops, missed with the lightning, let me try flak again! [whips out flak near instantly]"

It's dumb, honestly, and only promotes switching ten times a fight and spam. You don't even have time to react to the weapon switch when it's fast.

"Hehehehe! I'll throw a rocket at him and switch near instantly to lightning to hit him when he dodges because I can switch to another weapon before the rocket even gets to him!"

With slow switching you need to be prepared for every situation beforehand because switching in mid-battle could prove disastrous. When you switch in a battle there'd better be a damn good reason. There's a reason the switch time was slowed down from UT2003->UT2004, though it's still too fast, IMO. It's just another factor in why UT200x is too hitscan friendly. Firing lightning twice in a row is much slower than firing lightning and switching to something else, and that is retarded.

Something like CPMA but altered a bit is probably ideal, kind of like a mix of instant and slow. You can't switch weapons until the one you're holding is ready to fire again, but when you do switch, it's instant. Thus, the time it takes to switch is governed by the refire rate of each weapon. Of course, there should be a lower limit to this because with things like plasma and lightning you can switch instantly since those weapons have fast rates of fire.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
UT99 weapon switching time KTHX.
Who ever says "Instant" should stay the F away from being a game designer.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Bullet10k said:
I'd hate to see people fighting with shock at close range.

Well you must hate UT2004 then. :lol: It should have been called UT:Shock Edition. I see people actually switch from flak to shock when enemies are right next to them.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
It has to be slowed down or weapon balance is out the window. The lightning gun is supposed to have a slow firing rate to balance it's power. But if you can switch right to another weapon and fire that between shots, what's the point? Varying switch times based on rate of fire, like t said, makes sense.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
BeerGut said:
Well you must hate UT2004 then. :lol: It should have been called UT:Shock Edition. I see people actually switch from flak to shock when enemies are right next to them.
lol yea I do that too cuz that's just how the game is for me. Juggling is so much easier especially when people are dodging all over the place right before you shoot a flak primary.

--

And yea the variable switch time like T2A said is pretty cool.

Last edited:

BioBlizzard

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE !
Apr 24, 2006
i think it should not be lightning quick............ but should be fast enough to be called decent

Krazy K

Mar 27, 2006
yea they can't be too fast, although bursting a shock core with lightning would be F*ing awesome.

Deadmeat

Mar 31, 2006
Definately slower switch times. In older games I always used to change my weapon to whatever suited my surrondings (ie flak for tight corridor, sniper for big open spaces etc...). It gives a small advantage to the player who thinks as they move around a map, rather than pure run and gun twitching. I kind of liked the fact that in UT'99 you couldn't switch a weapon until had become ready to fire again - if you fired the flak cannon you had to wait for the reloading processes before you could switch etc...

kiwi

Sep 26, 2005
i really dont understand u guys.... this game is multiplayer orientated....this means 1 on 1 duel every day... (dunno if u play duel or just ons...) fast switch is needed like in q3 or ut99.... how many times u pressed the bind to swithc to flak for example and u click fire but the weapon hasn`t finished to switch yet and u cant shoot yet??? well maybe u use the scrolling weel.... ut is a fast game for fast players....u cant say that fast switch would make the gameplay unbalanced...how can it be??? faster switch means more action and more uber cool air combo/ rockets, more fun and even more spectacular actions...

think about it

Deadmeat

Mar 31, 2006
kiwi said:
i really dont understand u guys.... this game is multiplayer orientated....this means 1 on 1 duel every day... (dunno if u play duel or just ons...) fast switch is needed like in q3 or ut99.... faster switch means more action and more uber cool air combo/ rockets, more fun and even more spectacular actions...

think about it

:stick: No.
Ok, UT99 had slower switch times than UT2k, 1 on 1 dueling is dull as dish water (unless your one of those really competetive types) and I don't want to be shot with all 10 weapons by the same person within the space of 2 sec- a good game that does not make.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
UT2KX has good enough switch times but XIII has the best, you can often spot more than 2 hands while switching :lol:

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
The switch times need to get slowed down. When players and bots are shooting you before the weapon is fully extended, and then instantly switch to another weapon to do the same thing, It gets frustrating real quick. You don't even get time to react.