Best Controls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nordoch

Dec 17, 2004
Hi everyone,

As you can see this is my first post here, but ive been here reading through the posts and it helped me improve my skills with UT 2004. Im eagarly awaiting UT2007 :D Neways i was wondering what do you guys keep ur keyboard controls as, the default WASD or the arrow keys. I keep mine for every game as the arrow keys and the numpad for switching weapons eg:- ARROWS for movement CTRL for crouch NUM 0 for jump right shift for translocator etc. Just wanted to know what control keys YOU guys have for UT2004, also would like to know how YOU guys switch weapons, and are my settings good enough. Feedbacks are welcome.

Thank you.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I use a N52 with this setup:

N52.jpg
Though I have all the weapon keys within range, I find myself using the "switchtobestweapon" button fairly often (that one's bound to my thumb mouse key).

EDIT: wow...registered since 2004, yet still only 3 posts? Man, you're a professional lurker. :p

Last edited:

Nordoch

Dec 17, 2004
pretty damn GOOD setup there Taleweaver...

ya n since 2004 this particular topic was not covered [i believe :D ] and most of my queries used to get resolved browsing through... ;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
WASD for me. ESDF is actually a better choice because it gives you more keys to the left of your hand, but I didn't like having the bump on the F key under my finger at all times so I stayed WASD.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Nice setup on the N52 there, for some reason I never thought of using anything but the d-pad for movement :s

I use plain WASD, with control as crouch and space as jump.
Mainly use my mouse wheel for weapon switching, but I have 2 thumb buttons on my mouse, one for Shock/LG and the other Shield/Rocket (Logitech MX510)

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
UT2004 is the only game I still use the arrow keys for.
:eek:
I prefer using Ctrl for jump, shift for crouch, and enter for 'use'. All the other games and mods though, have to many different keys like 'lean left' or 'switch weapon mode'.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Used to use WASD, but switched to give myself a few extra keys to bind stuff with

I use ESDF with weapon binds set up around them (right mouse button for jump).

TBH there's no "best" set-up, it's better to just go for what you feel comfortable with.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
>I use the standard WASD, i tried the ESDF but it just didn't feel right. Here is my keyboad setup:
Q=rockets
R=lightning
L-Shift=shield
L-Alt=Flak
Caps=bio
Space=jump
For my mouse i have an MX518(<3), setup:
scrollwheelup=link
scrollwheeldown=shock
scrollwheelclick=mini
fowardthumb=throw current wp
backthumb=translocator

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
The_Head said:
Nice setup on the N52 there, for some reason I never thought of using anything but the d-pad for movement :s
Well, that would make a running dodgejump kinda hard for people with just one thumb. ;)

@Selerox: there might not be a "best" setup, but I think there is something as a "worst" setup, IMO, namely the arrows. The reaction time to reach for a numeric key (or to scroll through your weapon arsenal) is just too high when compared to single clicking something.

Yes, DP. I know you're using keys as well, and that you're doing great with it. I still hold on to my opinion.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I'm using standard WASD + Space[jump] and Shift [Duck]
as for other buttons:

tab - show scores (onrelease hide)
caps - rocket launcher/AVRiL
F - minigun
R - link
Q - ASMD
E - Lightning Gun/SniperRifle
X - Translocator/switch to new spawn point(AS)
V - voice menu
B - Use

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
all depends on the person, I used a GAMEPAD when I first started playing UT99, tried WASD for a bit til a topic on a forum showed up on people posted using EDSF, I moved over to EDSF and neve looked back, Many use different configurations and whats been said here is true, play with what's comfortable.

The rest:
Space bar=jump
C= crouch
b=use
v= voice menu
w=Shock/Ltg
r=rox/flak
g=mini/link
mouse 3=TL/Avril
mouse 4= SG
mouse5= toss weapon

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
[Pain]Nightmare said:
UT2004 is the only game I still use the arrow keys for.

Used to be the same for me, but I switched to WASD for my news year's resolution. I feel like I should switch to a more pro setup, but it's too late in UT2004's life for me to want to switch. Maybe in UT2007.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
ESDF: Movement
X52QVG4W3RC: Weapons
T: Throw Weapon
Middle Mouse: Use
Front Thumb: Suicide

As others have said, there are no 'best' controls. It's mostly important to be comfortable with them and have fast access to all weapons.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
And "I'd hate to see his annual mitten bill!" :hmm:

If anyone cares, which they don't, here is my current setup:

WASD = movement
Q = xloc/use
E = flak
R = rox
F = lightning
C = crouch
X = pipeswitch mini/link
Z = suicide
Alt = bio
Ctrl = toggle walk
Shift = throw weapon
Caps = god/allammo (I mess around offline a lot)
Tab = scoreboard
Side button G5 = shock
Tilt wheel on G5 = shield

The rest of the keyboard is reserved for spam say binds and such.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
My setup:

WASD: movement
Q: Rockets
E: Flak
F: Pipedweaponswitch for mini/link
R: Translocator
2: Shield
Mouse thumb button: Lightning
Mouse wheel: Shock

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Arrows to move. Mousewheel to switch weapons.

Side Mouse button 1: Previous Weapon
Side Mouse Button 2: Translocator

Middle mouse buttons: Page Up, Page Down (Both are bound to text binds), Mousewheel in for the Horn and the very bottom one is assigned to key 1 (Shieldgun, good for bailing out of airborn stuff.)

Right CTRL is jump, Right Shift is walk, / for Crouching. \ to Toss weapons.

Here's an old screenshot, pre-mousepad and Pre-MX518 (That's Warden's old MX500, though, which has the same number of buttons.)

[screenshot]http://darkpulse.project2612.org/HandPos.jpg[/screenshot]