PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Terrain

Pseudo Safari
18th Apr 2006, 09:02 AM
Hi.
I've nearly finished a Chizra-styled temple map for UT2k4 but after zoning I've found a problem with my terrain. In all the zones where the terrain occurs or is visible from I set bTerrainZone = True under the ZoneInfo, but when moving through from the main outside area to a hallway that shows a smaller section of the terrain I have problems. When viewing the terrain from a zone I set up beneath the entranceway to the hall the terrain appears entirely black as if no lighting has been applied to it, and then as I get closer and move into the hallway itself the terrain completely disappears. :(

Is there more to making terrain visible with collision when zoning than the bTerrainZone parameter? It has really got me baffled.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

If anyone wants to take a look at the map in the editor I've posted a beta at unrealplayground

http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=11089

_Lynx
18th Apr 2006, 02:59 PM
If I rememver right - the outdoor maps a never zoned to avoid such problems. They consist of one zone. Check Antalus or any big terrain-based map like ONS-RedPlanet, ONS-Severance, ONS-Dawn, ONS-Torlan or AS-Junkyard.

Ironblayde
18th Apr 2006, 04:05 PM
The primary reason that outdoor maps don't use zoning is that it's impractical; such maps are far too open to partition with zone portals. Zone portals can be problematic if they intersect a segment of terrain, though. To use one of your examples, Lynx, DM-Antalus does have a little bit of zoning, in the underground room that houses the Super Shield Pack. Notice that the terrain is kept entirely in one zone, though.

Pseudo_Safari: You'll have to either move your zone portals so they don't intersect your terrain, or else create a separate terrain for each zone. For an example of a largely outdoor map that uses zoning with separate terrain actors, see DM-Aristocracy2004.

Twrecks
18th Apr 2006, 08:28 PM
You can only see/interact with terrain who's "terrain actor" is in that zone, with the bTerrainZone=True naturally.
Also, never place a terrain actor inside a solid brush, as that is a NO ZONE! :)

edit, stupid statement about windows removed.

Terrain should not extend past the zone its terrain actor resides, or clipping may occur. Any zone you want to see terrain from/in set the bTerrainZone to true.

Pseudo Safari
19th Apr 2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks all for the advice. I moved a few zone portals around to get the terrain showing inside and now it's working fine.
Cheers!