Direct PC <----- huh?!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
E

el Gato|PuF

No uploading? Does that mean no online gaming? That sucks! :(

ps. Frag on Bounca!

bullet2.gif

Wish I was oceansize...

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Well, there is a company out there that is offering 2 way satellite systems... I looked into it for my mother, as she was living at a campground (hey, it's a nice one!!!) at the time and couldn't get a regular phone line out there.. They were VERY expensive at the time, and the salesperson told me NOT to go with them right now, as they are targeting big business.. they ARE planning on reaching the regular consumer at some point though... I think the top speed was somewhere around 3Mbps (just guessing.. i really can't remember)...

But the technology IS out there :)

bullet2.gif

-=Alarion{FU}=-
alarion@fuclan.com
{FU} Clan - We are family :)
FU Clan's Official Website

Bounca

Unemployed Loser
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
OK, we have discussions on DSL, cable, etc.
What does the PUF community know about satellite internet connections like Hughes DirecPC?

$150 bucks for unit and $50 month plan for 400 kbs. Is that fast? Faster than ISDN I believe, what about cable, DSL, etc.

Anyone have this? Does it work? Can you communicate with aliens with it? Pick up the spice channel, help?
thx in advance

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
I've looked into Satellite internet. I have the Dish Network. You still have to be connected to a phone line for uploads. (You can't upload to the satellite.) Since your mostly downloading, this does not seem to be a bad trade off. From what I've heard, the download claims may be a bit exaggerated. I think it has possiblilities, but the technology is still in it's infancy.

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
do NOT , i repeat do NOT get satellite internet for gaming. its the worst possible thing. im talking pings above 500, more like 750 guaranteed.

thing is you upload via a 28.8 modem. that right there kills your ping. on top of that, the transfer to the satelite is VERY slow thus adding to your ping even more. you dont need a great ping for a measly 400kbit connection so you get shafted there bigtime.

again, dont do it. anything is better even good ol 56k. of at all possible, get DSL or cable they are whats best for the residential gamer.

bullet2.gif

·ÐзVoyd

Jammer|PuF

May 26, 2000
Visit site
Voyd is right. The 400KB download rate that they quote you is deceiving, especially for gaming. Sure, if you are downloading a huge file, it is pretty good, but the trip to/from the satellite introduces a lag that kills something like on-line UT. This is without even considering the need for a phone line for upstream communications.

I have DirecTV, but I would never use their internet service. I'll stick to cable.

Jammer|PuF

bullet2.gif

You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
You probably wouldn't get the 400kbs, and if you did there would be a long delay for you to send the request via the modem, an then for the satelite to send it... after it got started it might download near that speed.

Satellite is really only good if you live so far yout in the boonies, that you can't get good internet access any other way... I'd rather have 56K because the extra money you pay wouldn't be worth it. Bad weather could severely limit or even knock out your connection. And 2-way service would cost you an arm, a leg, and your first born child.

In the future satellite might be a major player in internet access... but you never know... who knew that your TV cable would be one of the best ways to access the net today?