The weapons sounds - dont make the same mistake

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lee_Shagwell

Apr 10, 2006
The thing I used to love the most about the original UT was connecting it up to the 4000K disco sound rig I have setup. When that redeema hit home, the whole street knew about it.

When I lick up some head shots with the sniper rifle, the police would turn up lol

ok exxagerations but basically UT rocked my sound system. The sounds were so powerfull, full of bass, ear pearcing mid range they really made you feel like you was actually there.

Now UT2004, you can barely hear some of the weapons fire, even with the thing on full blast most weapons just sound all washed out and generally unconvincing and pathetic, why? because they have all been eq'd and compressed VERY badly, nearlly all of the sounds have no mid range whatsoever and some no bass at all. the only sound that is remotely impressive is the tank fire oh and maybe the level announcer, which for some reason is twice as loud as anything else lol

Now either they messed up the sound engine, or they need to put one right through the sound engineers head (a bullet that is). Failing that all I'm asking is that they don't make the same mistake with UT2007.

I Seriously hope I'm not the only one who feels this way, for me sound is as important as graphics and game play. Anybody here who has there PC hooked up to a hifi or maybe a home cinema system should feel the same as me.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the demo, if i get it and it sounds like **** i'll think twice about buying the game.

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
You can raise the volume in the user.ini, if the gui doesn't give enough

I agree sound just as important or even more important than graphics

Gameplay is what the players make it.

Lee_Shagwell

Apr 10, 2006
i've spent a lot of time mesing about with the volume levels etc but they still sound crap, it's the sounds themselfs. This is where the problem lies, but then it could be the sound engine. One thing i do know is they need to sort it for UT27K

Last edited:

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
The onyl thing I need to do in 2k4 to get louder sounds is hit the vlume up button a few times on my keyboard. It runs quieter than all my other maps, but all I have to do is turn up the system's volume a little.
Of course, I've got an Audigy Zs, which is apparently the only sound card 2k4 works right with, and I seem to be one of few in the community who has one...

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Here's a good test. Play UT2004 and turn up the sounds until they're loud and somewhat enjoyable. Now go play UT without touching the volume knob. Funneh results. :)

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
and here i was thinking that i was always configuring the sound card wrong or something. the enforcers i cant even hear, the explosions are almost inaudible apart from deemer and shock combo, and last but not least what happened to the realistic gib sounds and the gib bounce effect from the original? its replaced by a squirt type of sound now. very disappointing even with a 5.1 system.

Lee_Shagwell

Apr 10, 2006
So am I right in thinking some people are having problems and some arn't.

Because i've installed ut2004 in the following enviroments:

Home PC with creative sb16 (connected to standard cheap headphones)

Second home PC with EMU 0404 (connected to a cerwin vega intense disco sound rig)

EMI studios, Abbey road, London, production room (cennected to yamaha ns10 studio monitors)

The PC there is wired through a million pounds worth of mixing desk, I can tell you if it's good enough for the beatles it's sure as hell good enough for UT.

And what was the outcome, they ALL still sounded like ****. actually if i had time i'd make a lil video of me doing all this and then send it to the developers, should put a smile on there sound guys face!

I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill here, I don't have superhuman hearing, nor am i being one of those bitchy sound engineer types. I'm just speaking as a regular consumer to the best gaming franchise ever!, look f.sardis and others have pointed out the same problems as me.

As others have stated you can turn up the effects volume and the sounds are audiable, but they still sound **** and all the levels are wrong, i.e. some barely audible and odd one or two loud. imagine whilst on full blast some joker is setting next to you in a goliath and lets one off, you can say goodbye to your windows, your sound system and your ears! lol

What i'd like to see is all the weapons sounds as clear as the goliath.

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
You are right on target Lee_Shagwell. The sounds for UT2004 are absolutely awful and this is something Epic must address in UT2007.

I just bought a new Creative X-Fi card for my rig and every game (especially the original UT) sounds absolutely brilliant with one exception---UT2004.

The player voices and weapon sounds all sound like they've been submersed under water and I run a 5.1 speaker setup and tried every setting in the sound card contol panel and game to no avail.

As I stated over at the Atari forums, I'm not pulling my X-Fi sound card out of my rig and replacing it with my old sound card just for the sake of UT2004. Instead, UT2004 will get an instant retirement.

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
you can try the smart volume management on the x-fi but still it sounds wrong.
besides when the game came out that card didnt exist and now that it does i dont think people will buy it just for 2004.

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
thats a mod though. i dont want a mod. i want something that sounds good out of the box.
maybe i and some others can look for the mod we need but the average gamer will just say it sounds **** and move on.