NEW 1v1 TAM PUB

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chefboy

Mar 23, 2006
Greetings from Team-TWN.
Just wanted to let you know we have a great new 1v1 TAM pub up and running in chicago.
Settings mirror LOBs DM servers, but setup for us TAM players, and it runs great!
So feel free to join and get some 1v1 action or use it for those 1v1 challenges!

and we'd love to see you drop by our site and leave some love on the forums here!(no email registration crap neccesary)
Thanks! <3 Lets make this the next great pub!

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
>So it's TAM just 1v1?:con: or is it a 1v1 server with the ability to do TAM games or something? If it is TAM 1v1 i don't think it would catch on since 1v1 is about control and you can't really control anyting in TAM. Mabye i'm wrong and the idea will catch on though.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've played some 1v1 TAM a bit. It's not too bad. It's just simple weapons combat. You can't get too hung up on the fact that it's not at all like real 1v1. Enjoy it for what it is.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, just TAM with 2 people is all. So warmup (minus the maxxed out ammo) with rounds and diminishing health for the leader.

If you hate TAM, then you'll probably hate TAM 1v1.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
hal said:
I've played some 1v1 TAM a bit. It's not too bad. It's just simple weapons combat. You can't get too hung up on the fact that it's not at all like real 1v1. Enjoy it for what it is.
Definately.
--
Although when people play agressively, like when I had my pub games, it's really fun with enough action going on with both people on the move.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Well, I would be much more inclined to play this kind of 1v1 as opposed to regular DM 1v1, as I HATE weapons stay=off with a passion.

But that's just me. I'll probably check out the server some time this week. :tup:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
But this is totally unrelated to weaponstay on or off as every weapon is given to you. In 1v1 with weaponstay and no armor pickups you could at least set up ambushes at the weapons... I can't imagine 1v1 TAM being very fun after about four minutes, especially if it's on maps like Grendel. /shrug

TAM needs to go, IMO, but I'll save the rest of that for another thread. :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Is NW WS=off 1v1 lots of fun on Grendel? ;)

Like any gametype, some maps work better than others. TAM isn't about controlling the pickups or spawn raping your opponent... it's just about shooting the other guy. It isn't deep or super-complicated, so if you require that in a game, then it probably isn't for you.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
1v1 TAM must be the worse concept ever made.

Get your shock rifle, / lightning gun ready! HITSCAN TIME!

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Kantham said:
1v1 TAM must be the worse concept ever made.

Get your shock rifle, / lightning gun ready! HITSCAN TIME!

....which is great practice for those of us who's hitscan skills are less than stellar. It forces us to use hitscan more. You get more practice with the shock/ltg since you don't have to worry about trying to pick them up.

As hal said, it's just a different gametype. So will like it and see a usefulness out of it, others won't. Just because you don't think it's a good concept, doesn't mean that everyone feels that way.

Personally, I can think of several concepts worse than this, but I'll keep those to myself as I know some won't agree. To each their own.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Renegade Retard said:
....which is great practice for those of us who's hitscan skills are less than stellar. It forces us to use hitscan more. You get more practice with the shock/ltg since you don't have to worry about trying to pick them up.
So why not just use utcomp warm up then? It's basically the exact same thing plus you get 999 ammo and you don't have to win those rounds. It's simply frag practice and that's all this 1v1 tam :c seems to be except that you have rounds for fraggin with all the weapons. Plus the fact that you're not learning a single thing about map control, map prediction or real dm tactics. :c

How exactly does it force you to use hitscan though? I don't get it. D:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
JohnDoe641 said:
So why not just use utcomp warm up then? It's basically the exact same thing plus you get 999 ammo and you don't have to win those rounds. It's simply frag practice and that's all this 1v1 tam :c seems to be except that you have rounds for fraggin with all the weapons. Plus the fact that you're not learning a single thing about map control, map prediction or real dm tactics. :c

How exactly does it force you to use hitscan though? I don't get it. D:

You pretty much answered your own questions. It's not the same thing as warm up because in warm up you get 999 ammo and max health. With limited ammo/health, you're forced to take good shots while fighting to stay alive, which IMO is better hitscan practice than being able to just fire at will and see who can "out health" the other person.

Also, yes, you have rounds, therefore, you have a reason to try to play better and smarter, as opposed to warm up, where you pretty much just fart around.

As a CTF player, I'm not worried about map control. I want to get better at hitscan to carry that skill over to CTF. I don't play weaponstay=off DM, so why do I want to learn map control (in the sense of weapons control and such as it relates to DM)? Screw DM tactics ;)

How does it force you to use hitscan? Because both players have hitscan weapons, and usually the one better with shock/ltg will win the match. I'm not saying it's perfect for hitscan weapon training. I'm saying I can focus more on it without having to worry about even getting a ltg/shock to practice with.

Again, that's my own point of view. It's not for everyone, and I certainly can see other sides of the argument. That's why I said before that everyone has their own preference.